Hamlet Ringtool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Has anyone ever used a Hamlet ringtool? I watched a video on youtube where a fellow was using one to make a goblet, and it hollowed it out really nice. The video is here.

KenV

Chip -- They can do that - but there is a learning curve and it helps if the wood is quite uniform in density/grain.

Have one and have not done enough with it to make it happen easy. Not sure I will get there as the hunter carbide tools have a shorter learning curve and are easier to sharpen. (turn or replace the insert).

Wildman

There is also a Termite Tool from Oneway.

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Termite Multi-Tip Ring Tool

Ring tools, Berger, and hook tools do nice smooth surface on end grain too.

So do bowl and spindle gouges. I think the learning curve of turning a smooth surface and sharpening easiest with either bowl or spindle gouge. Only other obstacle to off the tool finish is wood species or spalted wood, and practice.

Limiting factor in turning end grain is reach over the tool rest. In video Hamlet tool about the same as spindle or bowl gouge. When turning end grain birdhouses boxes, goblets, cannot get tool support after 2 or 3 inches over tool rest because of narrow opening. So am limited to 2 or 3 inches over tool rest same as ring tool and others. End grain bowls not a problem just make tool rest adjustment.

THarvey

I have a termite. It will take a lot of wood out in a hurry. However, there is a learning curve to learn how to avoid catches. Catches with the Termite can be really nasty.

Top Bottom