Puzzle #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Okay everyone, I know you have been anxiously awaiting the Puzzle Contest wondering if it would actually start today as scheduled - well wait no longer, it is HERE.

This is a crossword puzzle. Click on any square for a word and the clue for that word will appear. Type your answer in the field below the clue. When you fill out the entire puzzle correctly, a Congratulations message will appear along with a Completion Code and a link to the Submission Form.

Fill out all the information in the Submission Form, especially the Completion Code and submit the form before the deadline. You will earn one point for this puzzle toward the overall prize and you will be eligible for the individual prize drawing for this puzzle.

You can click on the Check Puzzle button at any time while you are working on the puzzle to see if you have made any mistakes so far.

The deadline for this puzzle is 11:59 AM, Central Time on Tuesday, February 17. Any entries received after that time will not be accepted.

Post any questions in this thread and I will do my best to answer them as soon as possible.

Don't forget to read the http://www.penturners.org/forum/f289/puzzle-contest-official-rules-129661/

Good luck everyone
Edgar

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Error in Puzzle #1

I have been informed of an error in Puzzle #1.

The clue "Catalpa speciosa" appears twice. The correct word for that clue is a 5-letter word (down) on the right side of the puzzle.

Unfortunately, that clue also appears for a 9-letter word (down) on the left side of the puzzle. The correct clue for that word is "Celtis occidentalis".

my bad
Edgar

Sataro

Good question Bob! I've been working on this puzzle for a while now. Got to get ready for work in about 5 hours. Hate to have to start all over...:)

Sataro

Bob, I saved it & shut down my iPad. You will lose all data that way. So I guess you will have to keep working on it! I've got to give up & hit the bed. Best of luck on it. One word left & lost all of it! Ouch...:)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I don't believe it is possible to save a partial puzzle.

If you can't leave the page open until you can get back to it (or if you're afraid it might get lost somehow), you can simply print the page or make a screen shot of it. That way you would have all the words you've figured out so far and would simply have to type them back in without having to try to remember the clues or look them up again.

I just tried a print to pdf test and it did create a pdf file with the words I've already entered, so you should be able to actually print a partial puzzle to a printer or to a pdf file.

Hope this helps
Edgar

bobleibo

Down to the last clue and I'm having a devil of a time finding it:eek:

Something tells me you are not the only one who lost some sleep last night.. still working on it~ :confused:

Bob, I saved it & shut down my iPad. You will lose all data that way. So I guess you will have to keep working on it! I've got to give up & hit the bed. Best of luck on it. One word left & lost all of it! Ouch...:)

I did a print screen just in case but left the program up through the night and it was still there....so was that one WRONG answer! Ugh!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm glad to see so many of you working so hard on this first puzzle. Looks like it's going to be a fun week. :devil:

Let me just say that the clue for the 12-letter word that is giving some of you the fits is indeed the correct clue.

Sometimes what you think should be the answer to a clue might itself actually be another clue. :wink:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have also received a question about the clue "Lindera benzoin" which appears twice - once for a 5-letter word and once for a 9-letter word.

This is intentional and just another little twist to make you question your sanity (or mine). :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Rest assured, I am reading your PMs about the puzzle, but I will answer the questions in this thread so everyone can have the benefit of the answers.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Is there anyone that has actually completed this.
Or is everyone having a" Devil of a Time"

So far, I have not received any completed entries. :)

Don't worry though - you are not in a race to complete the puzzle, you just have to finish it before the deadline and I will post some more hints throughout the day to help with that pesky 12-letter word.

I may also extend the deadline. I am not trying to keep anyone from completing the puzzle - I just want you to exercise the gray matter a bit. :at-wits-end:

Edgar

longbeard

I'm done :mad:
I have several tabs open on top, one was google, one was the puzzle and a couple more. Went to click from google to the puzzle and hit that darn X button and closed the tab for the puzzle :mad::mad::mad: First time i did it is when i first started and only had 4 words, no big deal, this time i had over half the words for the puzzle.....oh well :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I like being on the train :tongue:

Harry

Sataro

Well I learned my lesson about someone's puzzle! Don't even start on it if it is near bedtime! It will get you hooked & you will not be able to quit. Darn puzzle caused me to only get about 4 hrs sleep before time to get ready for work...(-:

The Penguin

well, I'm down to 2 to clues remaining:

Populus deltoides

and

Parkinsonia aculeate

I don't know if Edgar is trying to pull a fast one or not - but I've got to head to a meeting and I'll look into those 2 further when I return.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I received a question about the clues "Populus deltoides" and "Parkinsonia aculeate"

I can assure you that those are the correct clues.

Another hint:
In many crossword puzzles, the literal meaning of the clue is not always the proper answer. That may apply to one or more of the clues in this puzzle.

The Penguin

you tricky devil.

can you check my entry? I may have had an aborted entry attempt.

Please send me a PM and let me know if I need to do it over.

thanks!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Entries are starting to trickle in, so the puzzle is not impossible.

You should receive a confirmation email of your entry shortly after you submit it. I will receive a notification of your entry about the same time. If you do not get a confirmation email within 30 minutes or so after your submittal, please send me a PM.

SteveJ

Not a bad crossword! I think the secret is to start late so that Google has been searching for those trees for a while and knows which ones are being clicked on. Took me just over an hour and a quarter. A full 30 minutes on just one clue though :mad-tongue:

Thanks Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I don't know if this will help, but here is a picture of that 12-letter tree

Stay tuned for more hints later

Attachments

• crosswordclue.jpg
    crosswordclue.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 188
Top Bottom