Mr. Anonymous Game #20 @ 16/03/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi folks,

That's play another game, this time is a particular wood species that, I also have in my "Timbers List" however, this one had lived/grown in Queensland.

I swapped a small chunk of this wood for some Olive root, with a good mate that has visited me/us, a couple of years ago...!

I cut the chunk immediately into straight and diagonal cuts pen blanks, the wood was still a bit wet so, they dried slowly and only recently I decided to finish and sort them in packs of 4 blanks.

Its amazing the difference of these same specie trees but, growing in different states/climates...!

The question is...!

What wood species, did these blanks come from...???

009b.jpg

Winner gets some of these in both cuts and some of the same species but from a tree that I cut locally, there will be a total of 12 blanks, possibly 8 from this particular wood species and some others...!

Winner pays shipping of AU$18.00 (750gr.)

Good luck everybody...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Toona ciliata -- aka Toona, Red Cedar, Queensland Red Cedar, Red Gold, Indian Mahogany, Australian Red Cedar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Lysicarpus Angustifolious (Australian Budgeroo)

So, which number is Budgeroo in my timber list...???:confused::)

No one got even closer and I would expect, many of you to have already turned this wood, I know that, bowl turners love to work with it...! (so do I...!):biggrin:

Cheers
George

I knew it wasn't that, but I love the name.
Almost as good as Alabama supplejack :biggrin:

robutacion

Na, the closest guess was the Apricot, it really looks like some of the Apricot I have but, ain't it, sorry...!

I can tell you that, these trees can grow to gigantic sizes (mine was very small, compared to the one from my friend, as I saw some pics...!). The wood is easy to work with, even when dry and the smell is something I like very much however, I know a few people that hate it...!:eek:

Cheers
George

Edward Cypher

Since EDOHMANN pointed out that my last guess was from 19 I will say it is Acacia Acuminate. Thanks edohmann the mind has just to much info and everything that goes in kicks at least two things out. Appreciate the heads up. I do not think George would do two of the same back to back.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Since EDOHMANN pointed out that my last guess was from 19 I will say it is Acacia Acuminate. Thanks edohmann the mind has just to much info and everything that goes in kicks at least two things out. Appreciate the heads up. I do not think George would do two of the same back to back.

but if he did, you've got it covered :wink:

Top Bottom