Spectraply Blanks 20 for $10 incl shipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

I saw this too and took a gamble and placed an order. To my knowledge Cousineau makes a lot of spectra-ply gun stocks so I am assuming pen blanks are a great way to get rid of scraps for them and still make money. I'll update once I receive the blanks.

DigBaddy72

I'm not really a fan of the spectraply blanks for pens. I have turned 13 pens using these blanks and only 5 were sellable. I found that, like plywood, there are voids and gaps between the plys. This could have been a bad batch of blanks, but it was enough to turn me off of these. The bottle stopper spectraply on the other hand have been solid for me.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

MTViper

I've been turning Spectaply for several years, everything from pens to peppermills to small bowls and a host of other things. I love it. If you haven't tried it, this offer is a really good deal. If you like it, they have a recurring offer of a medium mailing box of pen blanks (they say 114 of them) for $59. If you can catch them at a time they're offering free shipping this is a really good deal. I've never found a void in any of the ones I've turned.

Some of the blanks in the last box I ordered are their new product Dymalux, their new product. Plies are finer and the resin shines when turned. They advertised that you don't even need to put polish on it after sanding to 12K with MM. I took them at their word and they are right. Just sanding leaves a smooth, warm matte finish. I'm a fan.

lhowell

I've been turning Spectaply for several years, everything from pens to peppermills to small bowls and a host of other things. I love it. If you haven't tried it, this offer is a really good deal. If you like it, they have a recurring offer of a medium mailing box of pen blanks (they say 114 of them) for $59. If you can catch them at a time they're offering free shipping this is a really good deal. I've never found a void in any of the ones I've turned.

Some of the blanks in the last box I ordered are their new product Dymalux, their new product. Plies are finer and the resin shines when turned. They advertised that you don't even need to put polish on it after sanding to 12K with MM. I took them at their word and they are right. Just sanding leaves a smooth, warm matte finish. I'm a fan.

I would ASSUME that these are good blanks as these are the scraps from their gun stock making process and their finished gunstocks are absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to see these finished up! Thanks for the info on the bottle stopper blanks, people go crazy over the spectra ply bottle stoppers!

Turned Around

I just looked at their address - they're only 46 miles from my house! Ha! Small world!

then you might luck out on shipping if you get the big box of blanks. they might let you pick them up at the facility. I've been able to do that with a few things I buy for the pens that typically just ships boxes. whatever saves money

TonyL

I am glad that I posted it. I thought many would have seen it on FB. Let's hope they are decent.

KenV

Have been turning spectraply for a number of years. Works for knitting needles down to about 3 mm diameter and 8 inches long. Pens are a piece of cake with really sharp tooling. That means a fresh carbide edge if you use carbide. Take your time and do not try to hog off wood.

Cactus Juice makes it more solid

hcpens

I think TonyL is getting some kick back on all of these orders.:biggrin:

I have voids and cracks in a loot of my recycled blacks, but that is what CA and sawdust is for. After all are we not looking for custom one of a kind items?:cowboy:

TonyL

I think TonyL is getting some kick back on all of these orders.:biggrin:/quote]

I am not, but wish I asked for one...at least a free box. I know you are teasing.

Well, they will either be good, or this was the biggest Ponzi scheme in IAP. My being Italian from Brooklyn is going to win me any points in front of a judge in Georgia. :)

pianomanpj

I think TonyL is getting some kick back on all of these orders.:biggrin:/quote]

I am not, but wish I asked for one...at least a free box. I know you are teasing.

Well, they will either be good, or this was the biggest Ponzi scheme in IAP. My being Italian from Brooklyn is going to win me any points in front of a judge in Georgia. :)

I so need to go watch "My Cousin Vinny" now. :biggrin:

TonyL

My Cousin Vinny

How is this for my cousin Vinny? Tony, just turned 16. 37 years ago, almost to the day. Dated Lori for 9 years, married now for 29.

Attachments

• Anthony and Lori Small.JPG
    Anthony and Lori Small.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 106

mecompco

I just looked at their address - they're only 46 miles from my house! Ha! Small world!

Haha--just a few miles up the road from me. Actually my gunsmith friend was telling me about the place, I just never got around to going up there. Think I'll hope on the bike and have a spin up. He said one might be able to get some freebies. :biggrin:

I used the spectraply pepper mill blanks for the past several years... they are great to turn and finish... I've sold all of my mills and only have a couple pairs of glasses on spectraply stems.

Tony, don't worry about ordering from them... they are good people.

Loucurr

Ordered some myself...they definitely saw a spike in sales today. Thanks Tony, they should give you a commission.

ssalvage

I jumped in for a box as well.

Since the blanks were so cheap, I also sprung for the FedEx First Overnight shipping for only $144.84. :laugh::laugh:

mecompco

I jumped in for a box as well.

Since the blanks were so cheap, I also sprung for the FedEx First Overnight shipping for only $144.84. :laugh::laugh:

Gee, I'd swing up there (20 miles from me), get them, and Overnight them to you for only half that! :biggrin:

pianomanpj

Haha--just a few miles up the road from me. Actually my gunsmith friend was telling me about the place, I just never got around to going up there. Think I'll hope on the bike and have a spin up. He said one might be able to get some freebies. :biggrin:

Dang... if I still had my bike I'd join you. But not on a day like today - hot and humid!

Top Bottom