Pen-maker? Pen-turner? Pen-assembler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

This question was prompted by a post that can be found here.

I think the basic question is this: When are we a pen-maker vs. a pen-turner vs. a pen-assembler?

For instance: Are we a pen-assembler if we get one of Toni's blanks? They are pretty much a finished product. Some light sanding, some CA, and assemble and sell. And it's a gorgeous pen. Same with some of Kallanshan's, Laserlinez, etc. blanks. They are pretty much the finished deal: insert a tube, sand, finish and sell. Again, gorgeous pens.

Are we a pen-turner when we buy the kit and the blank from someone else, do the cut/drill/trim/glue/insert/turn/finish routine, and sell the pen?

Are we pen-makers when we make a pen, start to finish, from our own resources (other than some of the transmissions, ink cartridges, etc.)? For this one I think of one-of-a-kind pen. Closed ends. Smitty. Etc.

Just wondering.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Chip,

Don't get me wrong. The kits and cast blanks make beautiful pens. I just don't get as much satisfaction from making them. The first couple pens with a new material or kit are a challenge, a problem to be overcome. But the novelty wears thin quickly when you realize just how much input you actually have. As a hobbiest, for me this translates into a waning of interest in this hobby.

I nolonger say "I made this" when I'm showing a pen to a friend. I say "I put this together". But that's just me.

Chasper

I consider myself a maker of small functional art objects, many of which are writing insturments. The artistry is primarily in the selection, creation and crafting of turning materials. In the past I've made a few pens from nearly finished polymer clay blanks, laserline like kits and purchased segmented blanks. I've stopped using materials that are so nearly finished products, including most wood, not because they are not artistic, but because they do not demonstrate my own unique creativity.

I stopped being a pen assembler and started being an artist when I quit being a wood turner and got creative with the materials I cast and craft into writing instruments.

Unlike the original post you referenced, I have little interest in working with wood. Wood is good for making frames to hold art. Wood makes a good base to set art upon. Wood is even a good medium to paint on or carve, but the art is in the additional work, not the crafting of the wood. Most of all I don't like to work with wood because I feel my wood working does not stand out; there are too many other more talented wood workers. A big part of artistry is uniqueness.

I strongly hope that not many people agree with me. If all pen makers started primarily using castings, stone and embedded objects, I would have to find some other way to be unique.

BKelley

That is a good question and one I have often pondered myself. Ford Motor Company is an automobile manufacturer, but they not by a long shot produce all the materials used in their cars. Radios, upholstery, tires, and so on are out sourced. I am not a pen manufacturer, but would like to be considered a craftsman who makes pens. When I'm asked, "did you really make that?" I fudge a little and say yes. So I guess it is all how you concive yourself.

Ben

Russianwolf

Yes. But you have the choice of how much or little you want to do.

You can be a strict assembler. I recall CreativeWritings sculpted Polymer Clay blanks that people bought that literally only needed the parts assembled.

You can be a little more involved with the laser kits, and Toni's PC tubes.

You can go another step and buy Toni's canes and build up the tube on your own, bake and finish.

You can go a bit further and buy a pre-cast skin/feather blank and turn it to your spec.

You can buy a piece of wood, drill mount and turn and finish.

You can go a bit further and cast your own blanks so you have creative control over whats being seen.

You can go semi-kitless and use different parts and tubes to make something unusual.

And Jeff has shown how you can make a complete pen using brass/copper/aluminum and a collet chuck. I don't recall if he used a metal lathe, but its not needed as I've turned all those metals on my wood lathe. Heck you can make a complete pen from plastic if you want to.

So it's not a question of what are we. Its a question of what do you want to be. Pick a title and go for it. Then go a bit further.

Last edited:

Scott

I have a different perspective on this. These pens that come out of our workshops are not pens until we make them pens. Even if we start with "pens" like when we are making stick pens, or if we're making a pencil from a Pentel pencil, those are really just parts to us until we are done with them. So I think we are pen makers. Unless there is absolutely no thought process, or any creativity anymore, we are pen makers.

The large commercial pen makers are just assembling simple parts turned out in mass by a big factory. Surely we have more creative input that that!

Don't make light of what we do. Even if you feel that all you do anymore is slap together stuff you buy from other people, you are still making a pen that is a thing of wonder to people who have never used anything more sophisticated than a Bic.

Take pride in what you do. It is special. Just because we start with "kits" doesn't mean it's a pen. It isn't a pen until we apply our thought, our creativity and our effort. Even the most meager pens I see are amazing works of art! I was given a pen by one of my clients the other day. The workmanship was terrible. If I had made this pen I would have burned it so nobody would ever have to look at it. But my client took his time, effort and creativity and made this pen for me, and I treasure it! You have no idea how much our pens mean to the people who receive them. Every one of them is a treasure.

Scott.

LarryDNJR

Yes. But you have the choice of how much or little you want to do.

You can be a strict assembler. I recall CreativeWritings sculpted Polymer Clay blanks that people bought that literally only needed the parts assembled.

You can be a little more involved with the laser kits, and Toni's PC tubes.

You can go another step and buy Toni's canes and build up the tube on your own, bake and finish.

You can go a bit further and buy a pre-cast skin/feather blank and turn it to your spec.

You can buy a piece of wood, drill mount and turn and finish.

You can go a bit further and cast your own blanks so you have creative control over whats being seen.

You can go semi-kitless and use different parts and tubes to make something unusual.

And Jeff has shown how you can make a complete pen using brass/copper/aluminum and a collet chuck. I don't recall if he used a metal lathe, but its not needed as I've turned all those metals on my wood lathe. Heck you can make a complete pen from plastic if you want to.

So it's not a question of what are we. Its a question of what do you want to be. Pick a title and go for it. Then go a bit further.

+1 I agree!

CabinetMaker

Sometimes I am an assembler and sometimes I am a turner and I guess I aspire to be a maker. And I am equally happy with all three.

As an assembler I bought a couple of horse blanks from Lazerline. I will put these together for my daughters who both own horses and it will make a special pen for them. But each pen I assemble will be unique based on the colors in the blank and the type of kit I pair it with. In this case, I do not have the capabilities to make the blank that Constant can so I have no problem using his blank to make something special.

As a turner I am working on some wedding pens based on Majestic kits. I will be using "plastic" blanks but adding some accents with brass strips and a small bit of segmenting. The resulting pens will (hopefully) be extra special to the bride and groom as they will feature their favorite colors combined in such a way as to remind them of their wedding day. I think this is also where most people who do a lot of shows must be perforce.

Someday I would like to get a metal lathe and make more of my own pen "kits". This will give me almost complete freedom in shaping every part of a pen but I think that the market for such pens is so small that it will be much more difficult to market them. If that's even what I want to do with them.

In the end, its all fun and very relaxing. Sometimes I don't want to worry about a lot of details so assembling something is perfect. Other times I want to worry about every detail under my control so I do.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe problem is we dont have an agreed upon definition of terms or a governing body to define them for us . We all define them a little diferently and apply them as we feel they apply to us and to others. There are also degrees of each that overlap. Does assembling premade components make a pen? yes. Does it make you a pen maker? It does take a certain amount of talent to assemble and create a pen even from parts other people/companies have manufactured.

THarvey

Personally, I don't care what they call it, as long as they buy pens from me.

Call me a "Pen Janitor" if you like, as long as you pay for the pens.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
An article in a magazine described me as an artist that creates art that is usable for something daily. I think of myself more as a hack that gets lucky sometimes....LOL

GoodTurns

I consider myself a maker of small functional art objects, many of which are writing insturments. The artistry is primarily in the selection, creation and crafting of turning materials. In the past I've made a few pens from nearly finished polymer clay blanks, laserline like kits and purchased segmented blanks. I've stopped using materials that are so nearly finished products, including most wood, not because they are not artistic, but because they do not demonstrate my own unique creativity.

I stopped being a pen assembler and started being an artist when I quit being a wood turner and got creative with the materials I cast and craft into writing instruments.

Unlike the original post you referenced, I have little interest in working with wood. Wood is good for making frames to hold art. Wood makes a good base to set art upon. Wood is even a good medium to paint on or carve, but the art is in the additional work, not the crafting of the wood. Most of all I don't like to work with wood because I feel my wood working does not stand out; there are too many other more talented wood workers. A big part of artistry is uniqueness.

I strongly hope that not many people agree with me. If all pen makers started primarily using castings, stone and embedded objects, I would have to find some other way to be unique.

I agree with you, I'm just not quite there yet! i now make very few wood pens (unless a special order, wood with meaning and such). I MAKE art pens from a variety of materials, so I consider and present myself as an artist...someday I hope to REALLY be there!

Daniel

I am sort of with Harvey. But do have a couple of lines that are clear to me. there is a penturner, and then there is a pen maker. Penmaker is someone doing their own designs such as truly custom or limited edition pen. they are in a completely different league. As for assembling a pen from someone elses finished or nearly finished work. I don't relaly offer them but might want one for myself. If someone was willing to pay me to put one together for them. no problem. i would also have no problem telling them how they can do it for themselves. With the frequency of first timers cracking blanks or not gettng components lined up and damaging them. I wouldn't recommend it though. but 5 bucks for me to slap it all together. what the heck. But no I would not cahrge for finshed blanks like the ones I have to turn and finish. I also do not consider that penturning either.
as for anything to do with making blanks that is blank making. And for the most part I leave that to those that do it. cutting up wood for pen blanks is the same. Best for me to spend my time doing other things. blanks are a job all of their own.

I think that the issue of kit parts might mean we are doing less than our own work is about like saying a person that makes jewelry is not really making a necklace because they did not make the beads.

edited to add
On the issue of wood. I have also reacehd the conclusion that wood, with some exceptions, is more of a novelty and seldom actually results in what I consider a really quality pen.

I am pretty clear on what it takes to do what I do. And like harvey, I am not really all that particular about what it is called. Actually to most people I tell them I make writing instruments. Penturning seems to confuse them.

Last edited:

76winger

Since I ventured into pen turning/making/assembling from an interest in wood turning, I have to say I still favor wood personally, but my sales slant a little to the favor of the the acrylic based items that I make. I guess as everyone favors moving away from wood, my wood pens will be even more unique then, eh? :)

In response to the O.P., I see myself somewhere between a pen manufacturer (building everything from scratch or individual components made elsewhere) and a pen assembler (assembling pre-made parts, no machining involved). I would define this something to the effect of pen turner or pen maker. At my current level of expertise and ability (mostly limited by available tooling) this is sort of where I would fit in, and it's what I enjoy doing.

I also think that the farther you go from simply assembling the pens to making all the parts yourself, more time and effort is necessary to produce the custom one-off pens and thus the higher the price must go to cover your effort. Also as you go up this ladder of effort and price, you go down that ladder of possible buyers due to the costs becoming unjustifiable to more and more folks. Of course this thought assumes your trying to make money on your creations and not just give them away...

Everyone has different reasons for being here and doing what you're doing and at the level you're doing it. along with that, so long as there's no hard and fast definition of the terms, there's no reason you can't call yourself what works best for you!

OKLAHOMAN

I have no idea what I am, all I know is that I'm not a Rat or a Green eyed cat or a Master Scroller, but like Gerry (Chasper) I will and do make most of my pens from assorted man made and natural products but very...very..very little wood and I just won't use anything that someone might go into a Woodcraft to buy a product not related to pens and see hanging on their peg boards. Is what I do "Art"?, well I leave that up to my customers and they for the last few years have been paying good prices for my pens so maybe it's art, maybe its salesmanship or a combination of both.
I think most of us consider ourselfs at least a pen maker not just an assembler.

workinforwood

I love Cheesecake! I pretty much find them all irresistible, but Cherries on top is my favorite! My wife likes cheesecake to be baked..I don't really care, but I do prefer a packed graham crumb or whatever it is as a base. I'll even eat Sara Lee! :)

OKLAHOMAN

See I knew we were the same but different:wink:My cheesecake must have no graham base but cherries on top is a must....New York style only no crust.....:biggrin:
I love Cheesecake! I pretty much find them all irresistible, but Cherries on top is my favorite! My wife likes cheesecake to be baked..I don't really care, but I do prefer a packed graham crumb or whatever it is as a base. I'll even eat Sara Lee! :)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Cherries are good but Rasberry sauce is so much better........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm add to that thick black coffee to drink........damn Im getting hungry

Silver

I just provide quality writing instruments for the discerning user.... call me what you want...... I do....

I'm not bothered.

Provided you are happy with what you make and do then the good lord will let you sleep at night...

Top Bottom