Never EVER use flexible-PVC pipe where rodents are

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
We have a built-in, salt-water fish tank and to make things easy we plumbed under the house using flexible PVC pipe. A couple of weeks ago we noticed our salt-level was VERY low. Since the only thing that can do that is the loss of salt water we went looking for leaks. I found where a rodent had nibbled a pin hole in one of the hoses. We shut down that line and figured we'd give it a couple of weeks to dry out under the house before crawling back under there to fix it. Opened it up today and it was even wetter. The rodents had chewed a hole in another line!! And that line that no longer had water spraying them in the face?? Well, that was quite the tasty snack!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PVC-Rat-Snack-2.jpg
    PVC-Rat-Snack-2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,789
  • PVC-Rat-Snack-1.jpg
    PVC-Rat-Snack-1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,925
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Cat, er, maybe more than one. Put them in the crawl space and make sure they are already a little bit hungry and cannot get out till the job is done.

My shop cat, Miss Fluff has been most beneficial in keeping the varmints out of my shop. She is also well groomed and fed daily by me, her loving 'human'! Things wouldn't be nearly as peaceful if she were not with me to hold things in line. :biggrin:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Moth balls my butt!!

Rat poison!

We've done that. It killed some but I think it also drew more of them to us since it "smells so good!". If we can keep them away that would be a win over drawing them in and then killing them.

I'm with Ed. I don't care how big a pair the moth has, he's not going to be any match for that rodent. :)

Mothra, Maybe?

PenPal

Here in this country the trend is to pipe all new houses plumbing water wise using pvc and special fittings and the rodents can cost you the earth in part buried or in wall plumbing. Give me copper anytime and special pressure pvc for Fish lines easy to instal.

Have success Peter.

PenMan1

Moth balls my butt!!

Rat poison!

Might want to rethink that one. Ever smelled multiple rodent bodies decaying under your house? A rodent big enough to make those holes leave tracks! The smell would drive you from your home.

A high frequency ultra sonic rodent repellent (like the ones used in dairy barns) would be a much better solution.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Here in this country the trend is to pipe all new houses plumbing water wise using pvc and special fittings and the rodents can cost you the earth in part buried or in wall plumbing. Give me copper anytime and special pressure pvc for Fish lines easy to instal.

Have success Peter.

Copper would have been my first choice. But we have a live-reef tank and copper will kill all the corals.

Do you have references for the "special pressure pvc"? I'm going to have to replumb this this thing so finding a good solution is important. I only ever want to have to plumb it twice. :rolleyes::curse::rolleyes:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Try wrapping them in tin foil I believe that keeps them from chewing.

Great minds think alike. I used the thick metal ducting tape. And then 1/8" wire mesh like a cage around where they were eating the pipes. Since I found the issue I've been thinking of buying a bunch of aluminum window screen, cutting it into 2-3" wide strips and then wrap each hose in its entirety from end to end. It will be miserable work but better than dealing with an empty fish tank in the future.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
A high frequency ultra sonic rodent repellent (like the ones used in dairy barns) would be a much better solution.

We have those in the garage and in the attic. But there is no power under the house. Might have to fix that.

Last edited:

markgum

my high school science teacher used to shoot the varmits with his 22 rifle as they scurried across the floor inside his house.. let your son have some target practice. :biggrin:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
my high school science teacher used to shoot the varmits with his 22 rifle as they scurried across the floor inside his house.. let your son have some target practice. :biggrin:

When we lived in Hawaii we used to do the same thing. .22 and .177 pellet guns. One Christmas we had 4 teams playing pool: Two teams would be shooting pool the other two would be shooting varmits around the house. 26 mice and 7 rats by the end of the evening. The real challenge was picking them off as they went around the plate-glass door or as they were sitting on the glass louvers without breaking any glass. :eek:

IPD_Mrs

Greg are you sure you didn't do that playing around with the band saw????? :biggrin:

So what is the solution going to be pipe wise now?

Padre

Actually, if it is a rat, there's not much a rat can't chew through. They chew through cement, rebar, etc. You could try to wrap the exposed areas in that expandable foam stuff, or I've also heard that steel wool sometimes works. Rat poison is probably the best, and they don't die instantly, they eat it and go back to their lair, then die. Just hope their lair isn't under your house.

Good luck! I've heard that

PenPal

Pressure Pipe is a good deal thicker than the PVC you were using always sold that way, making sure you use the prep fluid and best quality fresh jointing glue and a further tip is hold the pipe firmly in the joint to avoid partial pop out. I always lightly dress the cut ends at the ends and lightly ream the ends only and remove all swarf (call me cautious if you like I never have regrets when using five fastenings where one will do) You can shape ie bend the pipe with a heat gun (hair dryer using minimum heat).

Personally I use pressure fittings for physical strength as well and often turn them to make one off dust removal in for example by pass dust cyclone by turning I mean I dwell in the plumbing supply places and spend a little time looking at every conceivable fitting experimenting by hand and six inch steel rule close misses in various fittings turned one end in the lathe to fit.. Over the years I have gone up to fifty fresh water aquariums at a time like Pen Making it can become an obsession.

In the 1960,s I travelled to Singapore to buy South American Discus at a hundred Bucks each they did cure me as filtration and huge water changes keep you constantly in the fish room those days, they would scare at literally the drop of a hat (expensive). A mate of mine built a Discus Aquarium in his lounge room he was a smallish guy and he used to climb in the tank with his Discus to clean the ten foot tank. One day his kids startled the Discus by switching the light switch on and off and running through the room (most expensive lost the lot) he removed the flooring and concreted the tank support into the ground.(obsession).

Have great fun and success I do know of copper effects and fish as I mentioned for fish I used plastic pressure pipe, however growing Cryptocorines all those years ago one of the great secrets to success was burying our pennies in the substrate for the copper content (slow leaching)

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom