Korea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Exabian

I'm currently in Korea and trying to order some CA Accelerator, but due to all the ones I can find being hazards material they will not ship it. Not even to my APO AP, so I have to find something local. Does anyone know what and where I can find some here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kruzzer

Maybe someone on IAP knows if something non-related can be used for an accelerator.
There just might be some "easy to get" product that would work as a replacement.
Thanks for your service..

BSea

You can use steam. There is a video from timberbits where he shows how to use a steaming tea kettle while applying a CA finish.

EDIT: After looking through the new site, I don't see any videos. You might send a message to David & ask for the link. I think it's on YouTube, but I can't find it.

Last edited:

jewellmd

I recently tried the BLO/CA finish and found that it works very well. The dry time is pretty quick. I'm still experimenting with it but typically use between 3-6 coats. Finish sand & your favorite polish and consider your project done.

Exabian

Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) will act as a CA Accelerant. I apply one layer thin CA then a thin layer of BLO to start then two layers CA one BLO. With lathe running (approx. 500 rpm) I rub the BLO until the blank is dry. MY 2 cents

I've never heard of this, but now I am going to try it regardless. How are the results?

jewellmd

I do mine with a layer of BLO and immediately follow-up with a coat of CA (spinning about 1200-1500). Wait until dry and repeat. 3-6 layers. Fine sand to your liking and finish with polish. The BLO helps to accelerate the drying of the CA. Finish ends up being a semi-gloss. Everyone has their own technique for doing a BLO/CA. Try it with a scrap piece of wood and see what you think. There's plenty of Youtube videos to describe this.

Mr Vic

Have you checked out the Arts and Crafts center...The might have some or know of a source for it...Might check with the medics as CA is also used to seal wounds. Might check with the Air Force guys...maybe a crew member of one of the transports could pick you up a can in exchange for a nice pen....Slim Lines fit a flight suit pocket.

Amazing what you can find in Korea...If you have a house boy ask him...Spent 15 months at Camp Mobile - 2d ID back in '89-91.

Top Bottom