I need a STRAIGHT Hole!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

So I bought in on the SpectraPly Sale. And I have segmented a blank with inspiration from this thread, http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/114-piece-segmented-celtic-pens-142085/.
But I have an issue with my Jet 1014VS lathe. It ain't going to drill a straight hole, period. I got this lathe from my son, TimeBandit, a while back. This was his first lathe and he bought it off of Ebay. When it arrived, it had been dropped and broken. He had it welded back together. He ended up buying a new lathe and then a metal lathe and many of you have seen some of the fine work he did. He gave this one to me and I haven't been able to replace it so it is what I have to use. I have tried all kinds of remedies to accomplish straight drilling but it hasn't worked. So I consider myself lucky to make a round pen though many have not turned out so round. I know the hole has to be straight on this or the pattern will look like poo.
So here is what I am asking. I would like to send this Spectraply blank to someone that can absolutely drill me a straight hole through it. I will send the bit necessary to drill it if you do not have one, 25/64. I will send you a pen made by me. I will send you some mesquite and spalted pecan blanks. And I will send money for return postage of the drilled Spectraply blank with a straight hole through it.
Please be "straight" with me and only accept this if you can do it. I would really appreciate any help that can be offered from this fine group of craftsmen.
Thank you, Rounder (Randy Short)

donstephan

Randy

Sending off the blank is a temporary (and immediate) solution but many people apparently are able to drill straight holes using either a drill press or a Jacobs chuck on a lathe.

Perhaps you only turn pens, but have you looked to see if there is a woodturning group in your area? Many woodturners are more than willing to share experience and assistance, either to help you drill straight holes with your equipment or do the drilling for you. It's likely that a fair percentage of the members of every woodturning group turn a range of objects, including pens.

jttheclockman

If you can not drill straight holes then it means your pens can not be turned well either. My suggestion instead of being frustrated, dedicate this lathe to either finishing or a buffing station and get yourself a new or better used lathe. Life is way too short to sweat the small things. If your son lives close have him drill it. :):) He owes you.

Rounder

I do drill on the lathe with a Jacobs chuck. And I have a drill press but it is stored in the shed as I do not have a shop (yet). I hope to build one this fall. I just haven't done any blanks that specifically require a straight hole. I usually turn down to 3/4" and then use a collet and the Jacob's chuck. And my dead center and live center line up very well. I have tried slow, fast and in between. Tried new belts, new bearings, new bits. Wood and acrylics. I can come close but never on center when the bit comes out the other end. I have tightened the quill set screw until the quill will barely feed. I do a starter hole to be on center when I begin drilling.
These reasons are why I haven't really tried segmenting but with the inspiration of the above mentioned pen, which I just love, and the purchase of the Spectraply, I wanted to give it a go. Then came drill time and here I am. Thanks for the input.

Randy

Sending off the blank is a temporary (and immediate) solution but many people apparently are able to drill straight holes using either a drill press or a Jacobs chuck on a lathe.

Perhaps you only turn pens, but have you looked to see if there is a woodturning group in your area? Many woodturners are more than willing to share experience and assistance, either to help you drill straight holes with your equipment or do the drilling for you. It's likely that a fair percentage of the members of every woodturning group turn a range of objects, including pens.

Rounder

If you can not drill straight holes then it means your pens can not be turned well either. My suggestion instead of being frustrated, dedicate this lathe to either finishing or a buffing station and get yourself a new or better used lathe. Life is way too short to sweat the small things. If your son lives close have him drill it. :):) He owes you.

My goal is a new lathe after I get my shop built. But I will have to make do with what I have until that point. Believe me, I have looked but alas, life seems to always throw a curve ball when ready to buy. Just got through having to install a new a/c system in the house which ate a chunk of change. I do understand the pens not always coming out well. I have redone many and can get fairly close to round with much patience. I do agree with the life being too short to sweat the small stuff. I am definitely in the "Don't worry, Be Happy" group. My son is 2 hours away, but life has been tough on him the last few years and his stuff is buried at the present time. So here I am checking with this great group of people.

Rounder

I have the drill and can do it for you but you may be able to find someone closer.

Thank you so much. I will wait a bit and see if anyone closer can help out. If not, I would be happy for you to do this for me.

Why are you not getting a straight hole? If the head stock and the tail stock are in proper alignment and you have centered the blank between the two parts, A 25/64 drill bit is fairly large and will not flex, you have to get a straight hole.

KenV

Randy, I suspect the welding was close, but not dead on and the tail stock is on one side of the weld and the headstock on the other. Almost impossible to hit it just right without re-machining the ways. Just a tiny missed alignment will point a restrained drill bit off a bit more than you can tolerate.

This is not the blank to be practicing alternative techniques with. Good choice!!!

Drilling with a spindle gouge and freehand drilling are options for another day.

Do look to turning between centers as it will avoid issues with the weld making thing slightly non-coplanar.

donstephan

Not Centered or Curved

Randy

Just to clarify, are you able to drill perfectly straight holes that come out slightly offcenter at the back end, or the drilled hole is curved along its length?

Rounder

Why are you not getting a straight hole? If the head stock and the tail stock are in proper alignment and you have centered the blank between the two parts, A 25/64 drill bit is fairly large and will not flex, you have to get a straight hole.

That is what I haven't been able to figure out. And maybe saying the hole isn't straight is the wrong phraseology. It is coming out off center on the back side. But that won't work on a segmented blank like the one mentioned in the first post. When I put the blank in the collet, I bring the live center up and put it in the centering hole to make sure it is lined up the same as when I turned it round. I use a small starter bit to begin my hole and then switch to the main bit. So I am really not sure what to try next. Open to all suggestions. Never too proud to listen and learn.

Rounder

Randy, I suspect the welding was close, but not dead on and the tail stock is on one side of the weld and the headstock on the other. Almost impossible to hit it just right without re-machining the ways. Just a tiny missed alignment will point a restrained drill bit off a bit more than you can tolerate.

This is not the blank to be practicing alternative techniques with. Good choice!!!

Drilling with a spindle gouge and freehand drilling are options for another day.

Do look to turning between centers as it will avoid issues with the weld making thing slightly non-coplanar.

Actually the back left leg under the head stock was broken off and welded back on. Guess it is possible there was some twist to the ways when it was broken. There is a little slop in the tailstock but when I checked the dead and live center alignment, when I pull the tailstock up against the front way and tighten it down, the tips of the centers are aligned. So when I turn, drill, sand I always pull it to that position. I always turn between centers as I found early on that using a mandrel was not the way to go for me. Never got a good pen off a mandrel on this lathe. Thanks for the comments as I always enjoy your machinists view and explanations.

Rounder

Randy

Just to clarify, are you able to drill perfectly straight holes that come out slightly offcenter at the back end, or the drilled hole is curved along its length?

The hole is offcenter on the back end. Sometimes very little and other times worse. Due to the inconsistency of the offcenter amount, I feel that somewhere there is operator error but I have been very careful to try and be consistent with my setup. Maybe I need to fire the operator, lol. :eek:

KenV

Randy -- is the bed level??? Again, looking for why your axis may be slightly out of alignment. The points can meet and be pointed in slightly different directions.

Putting a bore sighting lazer in the collet chuck and then in the drill chuck in the tail stock is sometimes informative.

Rounder

Randy -- is the bed level??? Again, looking for why your axis may be slightly out of alignment. The points can meet and be pointed in slightly different directions.

Putting a bore sighting lazer in the collet chuck and then in the drill chuck in the tail stock is sometimes informative.

I hadn't thought of checking the level. Probably need to put a straight edge across the ways and see if it shows any gaps also. Now the bore sighting laser is an excellent idea. I need one anyway for my rifles so now I have an extra excuse for the boss on why I need one. Thanks. (I will let her know it was your idea :eek::eek::eek:).

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is a simple method to get perfect entrance and exit marks on irregular material or perfect on segments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEEaF8z2jM
(the link originally posted here in 2009, but still works.)

It works similar with a slight modification on the drill press.

It might not work with your lathe problems, but something you can try. AND I would not try this on delicate, thin and easily cracked blanks/ wood.

Last edited:

KenV

Randy,

Glad to take the blame.

Had a boss years back who told me I would never be a total waste. I could always serve as a bad example.

jttheclockman

Randy, I have read some of the suggestions but i would like to step back to the beginning. Yes checking the lathe for level and straightness is a very good thing to do. But also start with the bit being used. I hope it is not a brad point bit. Make sure there is no wobble by rolling on a flat surface such as a table saw top. The chuck could also have a wobble in it. Make sure the taper is cleaned and free of dust. I did not see how you were holding the blank. I love the psi pen chuck for true accuracy.

When drilling you may want to not extend the tailstock so far out. Take smaller increments and keep moving it up that way. Hold the chuck with your left hand as you advance the tailstock. keep the set screw close to being tight. I think you mentioned you do that.

You could always drill half way and then flip the blank around and drill from the opposite side. If there is any difference you could sand that to the point where the tube slides in. This is all set up though if the blank is true all around and you have dead centers marked on both ends.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the blank when turned. :)

Rounder

Here is a simple method to get perfect entrance and exit marks on irregular material or perfect on segments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEEaF8z2jM
(the link originally posted here in 2009, but still works.)

It works similar with a slight modification on the drill press.

It might not work with your lathe problems, but something you can try. AND I would not try this on delicate, thin and easily cracked blanks/ wood.

Interesting technique. But it seems that you could have no play between the tailstock and the ways. (Side to side). Mine has a little. But definitely worth a try.

Rounder

Randy, I have read some of the suggestions but i would like to step back to the beginning. Yes checking the lathe for level and straightness is a very good thing to do. But also start with the bit being used. I hope it is not a brad point bit. Make sure there is no wobble by rolling on a flat surface such as a table saw top. The chuck could also have a wobble in it. Make sure the taper is cleaned and free of dust. I did not see how you were holding the blank. I love the psi pen chuck for true accuracy.

When drilling you may want to not extend the tailstock so far out. Take smaller increments and keep moving it up that way. Hold the chuck with your left hand as you advance the tailstock. keep the set screw close to being tight. I think you mentioned you do that.

You could always drill half way and then flip the blank around and drill from the opposite side. If there is any difference you could sand that to the point where the tube slides in. This is all set up though if the blank is true all around and you have dead centers marked on both ends.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the blank when turned. :)

Found out early that brad points were not the way to go. I check bits most every time. I don't use them on anything else. I very seldom go more than half way out on the quill. Take short bites then back out. I also grip the chuck with my left hand. I use either a collet chuck or a 4 jaw chuck. Same results with both. Thanks for the suggestions and I will continue on the learning trail. :wink:

larryc

Following this discussion I realize that maybe I was a bit hasty in offering to drill your blanks for you. While I drill on the lathe and have drilled many Dymondwood and Spectraply blanks I have never checked to see if they were drilled "exactly" down the middle. In fact a quick observation of my drilled blanks usually indicates a slightly off-center exit hole. That having been said, I have never been able to look at a blank after it has been turned, finished and assembled that I was able to tell which end was slightly off center.
I suggest you drill one of your blanks and after completing the pen see if you get acceptable results.

Rounder

Following this discussion I realize that maybe I was a bit hasty in offering to drill your blanks for you. While I drill on the lathe and have drilled many Dymondwood and Spectraply blanks I have never checked to see if they were drilled "exactly" down the middle. In fact a quick observation of my drilled blanks usually indicates a slightly off-center exit hole. That having been said, I have never been able to look at a blank after it has been turned, finished and assembled that I was able to tell which end was slightly off center.
I suggest you drill one of your blanks and after completing the pen see if you get acceptable results.

In looking at the blank in the OP, if the hole is not straight, I visualize the pattern not being even once turned. And I may be overthinking it also. Hoping to hear from some of the experienced segmenters to verify my thinking or to debunk it as the case may be.

jttheclockman

In looking at the blank in the OP, if the hole is not straight, I visualize the pattern not being even once turned. And I may be overthinking it also. Hoping to hear from some of the experienced segmenters to verify my thinking or to debunk it as the case may be.

Maybe if you post a photo of the blank we can make an assumption.

KBs Pensnmore

Randy, something I do to check that the headstock and tailstock line up, is to use a piece of bright round bar after I've checked it for being straight mounted in the Jacobs chuck and line it up with the headstock chuck with the same size bar.If it checks out OK wind the tailstock out as far as you normally use and check the line again. I know my lathe is out unless I move the chuck end away from me and the handle towards me, there is about 1/16+ movement sideways. Point to point is OK but at a distance it may be out.
Kryn

Rounder

Here is the blank I am talking about having drilled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 186

jttheclockman

Not sure what you think you are going to get out of that pattern. Depending on what kit you use and how you shape it most of that pattern will be turned away. What are you filling the voids in with??? I agree you do need to be somewhat centered in order to keep the zigzag pattern a straight line. I have no more suggestions for you. I think it is something you will have to investigate on your own being the lathe is in front of you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Randy, if I missed it, my apologies - but I don't recall seeing as part of this discussion how you are holding the blank for drilling. One thing I found out early on when first starting "celtic knot" pens was that the most frequent reason I got off-center drilling was that the blank was not mounted/chucked parallel to the drill bit - it looked fine where the drill started, but on the back end, the blank was not parallel, so came out offcenter. I was drilling with 4 pin jaws holding my blank, but didn't immediately realize that the blank, if not perfectly square, could shift slightly in the chuck since you can't grip with even pressure on all sides to hold it parallel. I got better results by ensuring my blanks were square, and improved even more when I moved to a set of 2 pen jaws on my chuck, still ensuring square before chucking; "drill-wander" could be an issue, but that can mostly be fixed by using standard bits that are kept sharp.

Rounder

Not sure what you think you are going to get out of that pattern. Depending on what kit you use and how you shape it most of that pattern will be turned away. What are you filling the voids in with??? I agree you do need to be somewhat centered in order to keep the zigzag pattern a straight line. I have no more suggestions for you. I think it is something you will have to investigate on your own being the lathe is in front of you. Good luck.

If you look at the pen from the thread I shared in the original post, that is the pattern that came from the blank posted on page 2 of the shared thread.
The voids will be turned away.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/114-piece-segmented-celtic-pens-142085/

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Randy, I am confused. Are you related the Seth??? Where in that link is your post. If I am looking at the blank you shown wrong, there is no way the voids spin away. I am seeing a thin line of vee shaped angled pieces. Maybe if you turn the blank 90 degrees over. I always did poorly on those tests where you have to fold the boxes. I must be missing something here. It is not the first time or will it be the last time. :):):)

Last edited:

Bob Wemm

Randy, something I do to check that the headstock and tailstock line up, is to use a piece of bright round bar after I've checked it for being straight mounted in the Jacobs chuck and line it up with the headstock chuck with the same size bar.If it checks out OK wind the tailstock out as far as you normally use and check the line again. I know my lathe is out unless I move the chuck end away from me and the handle towards me, there is about 1/16+ movement sideways. Point to point is OK but at a distance it may be out.
Kryn

This is what happens for me, when I bring the tail stock up to the drive head the points match, but there is just a tiny bit of slop in the ways so I reckon that is magnified the further the tailstock is away.
Just my 2 Bobs worth.:confused:
Bob.

Curly

John if you look closely at the picture again you will see two pencil lines running across the glue up. When cut on those lines a pen blank emerges. :)

Paul in OKC

How much are you advancing the bit each time? I would go very small amount, like 1/8" and out. A pain, but may help. All the different woods together will make things walk a bit. If you are rounding and holding in a collet, might try going half way from each end, if that has not already been suggested. Good luck.

jttheclockman

John if you look closely at the picture again you will see two pencil lines running across the glue up. When cut on those lines a pen blank emerges. :)

:eek:Wow Pete I am going to have my glasses adjusted. I did not see that. It is like one of those puzzles, can you find the lines in this puzzle?? Thanks for pointing that out.:bulgy-eyes: I wish the OP a lot of luck. I can not help any more with the drilling. All suggestions have been outed.

Rounder

Randy, I am confused. Are you related the Seth??? Where in that link is your post. If I am looking at the blank you shown wrong, there is no way the voids spin away. I am seeing a thin line of vee shaped angled pieces. Maybe if you turn the blank 90 degrees over. I always did poorly on those tests where you have to fold the boxes. I must be missing something here. It is not the first time or will it be the last time. :):):)

LOL, JT, I just went back and viewed the picture of the blank I posted and it is DEFINITELY an optical illusion. The picture is of the side of the blank. What you don't see is the width which is the width of the Spectraply blank. The actual height of the part of the blank you see in the picture is probably over an inch from high point to high point. Should have taken a picture at more of an angle to see that. I can now see how you were confused by what you saw.:biggrin:

Rounder

Randy, if I missed it, my apologies - but I don't recall seeing as part of this discussion how you are holding the blank for drilling. One thing I found out early on when first starting "celtic knot" pens was that the most frequent reason I got off-center drilling was that the blank was not mounted/chucked parallel to the drill bit - it looked fine where the drill started, but on the back end, the blank was not parallel, so came out offcenter. I was drilling with 4 pin jaws holding my blank, but didn't immediately realize that the blank, if not perfectly square, could shift slightly in the chuck since you can't grip with even pressure on all sides to hold it parallel. I got better results by ensuring my blanks were square, and improved even more when I moved to a set of 2 pen jaws on my chuck, still ensuring square before chucking; "drill-wander" could be an issue, but that can mostly be fixed by using standard bits that are kept sharp.

I use either a 4 jaw chuck or a collet chuck.

Top Bottom