I need a STRAIGHT Hole!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

I want to ABSOLUTELY thank everyone for all of the reply's and suggestions. They have all been helpful and given me more insight in what to look for in doing this properly. This is exactly what makes this sight so great and worth coming too. People.:):):)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

Randy,
I would be glad to help. I use a drill press with a pen vise.

David

David, if you can do this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. If you will PM me the shipping info I will get this on the way with all the goodies mentioned in the OP.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is the blank I am talking about having drilled.

Randy,

Once I saw the blank, memories came back to me of a pen I worked on some years ago.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/ss-baron-penstripe-33138/

With the one in the link, everything was perfect. Some fellows here asked me to describe how I did it. I did in detail on two or three PMs. A week or two later, I get a couple of PMs saying that they must be doing something wrong. I try to go into more detail, but I get another PM later saying it just isn't working for them.

I decided to make another pin stripe pen and detail and photo each step. 1st blank off center at the exit, maybe a millimeter; 2nd blank, same thing; 3rd blank - .5 mm OC.; 4th blank lines not parallel, 5th blank blew up.

I just got lucky on the first one. After the fifth, I had an idea of what I might be doing wrong. I was measuring and trying to get within .005 tolerance of square, but barely perceptively, not square, more rectangular. Along this line, I also noted in one post in the last two weeks, one fellow stating that he tries to hold his individual laminates to within .001. I had 5 times more error in my measurements. That, plus almost imperceptible out of square, will lead to errors of several kind.

That said, your picture is somewhat fuzzy and it is hard to tell exactly, but your tolerances look like they may not close enough to get what you want from even from the chuck. Locking an un-square blank can throw things off.

I made a sled for my table top saw and made it to the point that I could make adjustments up to .002 when squaring blanks. I also use my jointer on occasion to get two side at 90°. Off square or rectangular blank ends can result in off center exits. I am not sure this is your problem or not, but thought I would mention it.

Rounder

Here is the blank I am talking about having drilled.

Randy,

Once I saw the blank, memories came back to me of a pen I worked on some years ago.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/ss-baron-penstripe-33138/

With the one in the link, everything was perfect. Some fellows here asked me to describe how I did it. I did in detail on two or three PMs. A week or two later, I get a couple of PMs saying that they must be doing something wrong. I try to go into more detail, but I get another PM later saying it just isn't working for them.

I decided to make another pin stripe pen and detail and photo each step. 1st blank off center at the exit, maybe a millimeter; 2nd blank, same thing; 3rd blank - .5 mm OC.; 4th blank lines not parallel, 5th blank blew up.

I just got lucky on the first one. After the fifth, I had an idea of what I might be doing wrong. I was measuring and trying to get within .005 tolerance of square, but barely perceptively, not square, more rectangular. Along this line, I also noted in one post in the last two weeks, one fellow stating that he tries to hold his individual laminates to within .001. I had 5 times more error in my measurements. That, plus almost imperceptible out of square, will lead to errors of several kind.

That said, your picture is somewhat fuzzy and it is hard to tell exactly, but your tolerances look like they may not close enough to get what you want from even from the chuck. Locking an un-square blank can throw things off.

I made a sled for my table top saw and made it to the point that I could make adjustments up to .002 when squaring blanks. I also use my jointer on occasion to get two side at 90°. Off square or rectangular blank ends can result in off center exits. I am not sure this is your problem or not, but thought I would mention it.

I have been trying to figure out how I am going to cut it square. I don't have a table saw. I do have a compound miter saw but not too sure I can cut it square enough. But I am working on making something to hold it 90 degrees to the blade and be able to do that. We shall see. Thanks for the info.

KenV

Randy, one of the best known segmented turners cuts his pieces with a festool sliding miter saw AND AN AUXILLARY FENCE/TRAY and clamps. Malcomb Tibbits aka tahoeturner.

Zero clearance fence and bed combined with clamps and a very sharp blade. Get close and sand to final dimensions as needed.

Rounder

Randy, one of the best known segmented turners cuts his pieces with a festool sliding miter saw AND AN AUXILLARY FENCE/TRAY and clamps. Malcomb Tibbits aka tahoeturner.

Zero clearance fence and bed combined with clamps and a very sharp blade. Get close and sand to final dimensions as needed.

I actually used a hand miter saw to cut the angles. Have been trying to figure how to hold it in place to cut along the long side but nothing satisfactory yet. I will have to look at the Festool. Thanks.

corgicoupe

Consider using a hand plane to square the blank. I haven't tried it, but a 4-jaw chuck might work like the 2-jaw chuck JT suggested if two opposing corners of the blank were planed down so only two of the four jaws actually grip the blank. [This is only a thought experiment, but I plan to try it myself.]

Curly

There has to be a woodworking club near you. Someone in there will have a good table saw, that can make a quick sled if they don't already have one, willing to cut your blank. They would also likely have a drill press too. ;)

jttheclockman

If you do not have a table saw then you are not buying a Kapex festool saw. :)Do you have a bandsaw?? You can do beautiful segmenting with a bandsaw. With the proper jigs and proper blade, you can do wonders. If all you have is a handheld miter saw then I would suggest you start looking to build your tool inventory if you are serious about any type segmenting. A disc sander is a huge help also.

www.festoolproducts.com/Festool-561287-Kapex-KS-120-Sliding-Compound-Miter-p/561287.htm

Last edited:

More4dan

I aligned the headstock and tailstock to less than a 1/1000 on my metal lathe and had one drill about an 1/8" off center exiting the headstock end. Traced it back to a drill bit that wasn't sharpened equally on both sides putting the center point off center. Had a similar thing happen using a brad point bit after drilling a pilot hole. The brad point bit uses the center tip to hold it on path and will walk/chatter when it there isn't material for the center to "hold".

Danny

Top Bottom