Foam???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Does anyone know of a source for a foam that you can carve out for a pen or two.??? Has anyone done this? Maybe you made a box and and lined with foam for a pen. I do not want to take cardboard and form it and then coat it. I want real foam that can be cut to shape a pen. If you did this how did you do it?? A few pointers would be great. Thanks.

Had a thought as I ponder this. It did not hurt this time, surprisingly:biggrin:

I could use that craft foam that people use for applying CA and build it up in layers. The top one or two layers I can cut the shape of the pen out and then glue these to a full layer underneath it. Hope it comes in black:) A trip to Michaels is in order soon.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I've done that last method in building a display out of a shadow box. Instead of trying to flock it I wrapped in all in a felt fabric. It worked out fairly well. I bought all the supplies at hobby lobby. The foam was in the kids area and came in several sheets that I layered together.

102_2623.jpg

Another place that you might want to contact is alumilite. Typically when I get my resin order from them it's packed in this really nice and thick foam. Fairly ridged, but still flexible. Maybe they'd be open to selling you some? Might be worth a try.

jttheclockman

There's a layered foam that you can sculpt to fit your tools for your tool box drawers...I saw it at Lee Valley a long time ago, but I imagine it's available cheaper online elsewhere. Search "kaizen foam" (or fastcap foam)

This is good. I will do a search. At least I have a name to search for. Thanks

I've done that last method in building a display out of a shadow box. Instead of trying to flock it I wrapped in all in a felt fabric. It worked out fairly well. I bought all the supplies at hobby lobby. The foam was in the kids area and came in several sheets that I layered together.

View attachment 140259

Another place that you might want to contact is alumilite. Typically when I get my resin order from them it's packed in this really nice and thick foam. Fairly ridged, but still flexible. Maybe they'd be open to selling you some? Might be worth a try.

Hello Jonathan

Is there a reason you covered the foam with felt instead of leaving it??? Thanks

Skie_M

You may also want to look into using a dremel or other handheld rotary tool to carve your foam.

The reason one would want to cover their foam ... well, sometimes it tears out in nasty little chunks and leaves unsightly gaps and gashes when cut or sawn. The felt or other covering covers all that up and leaves a soft and neat appearing surface that will protect pens.

Brooks803

There's a layered foam that you can sculpt to fit your tools for your tool box drawers...I saw it at Lee Valley a long time ago, but I imagine it's available cheaper online elsewhere. Search "kaizen foam" (or fastcap foam)

This is good. I will do a search. At least I have a name to search for. Thanks

View attachment 140259

Hello Jonathan

Is there a reason you covered the foam with felt instead of leaving it??? Thanks

Mainly because it was multicolored foam. This was the easiest way to make it look nice.

Skie_M

If you just need a quick fix for thick foam that's durable ...

Harbor Freight has a 4-pack of foam pads for workstation use (stand on them, helps relieve fatigue from standing) for about 10 bucks a set ... 3/4" thick, about 16 square feet of foam.

jttheclockman

What about that 2" foam they use to insulate houses?

Too stiff and black is the color or red that I would like. Do not want to scratch the pens. I saw on another past thread that you need to be careful of what type foam to use because it can break down the finish on your pens. need to investigate this more. :eek:

Skie_M

What about that 2" foam they use to insulate houses?

Too stiff and black is the color or red that I would like. Do not want to scratch the pens. I saw on another past thread that you need to be careful of what type foam to use because it can break down the finish on your pens. need to investigate this more. :eek:

Ohh ... another reason to seal the foam and flock it or use felt or velvet ... :)

Have you thought about hotforming your foam?

Take a reverse molding of what you want it to look like when finished ... heat it up just enough that it barely melts the foam.. Apply it and allow it to cool.

Or you could try vacuum forming it! Again, you'ld need a reverse mold of the object you want ... but you'll also need a vacuformer and the foam itself heated up to the point of elasticity ... the vacuum will mold the foam (or plastic, in most cases) into the shape you want, and it cools rapidly to hold that shape.

Last edited:

Bob Wemm

John,
I don't know if you Guys have this stuff over there, but I reckon it would do just what you want.
It's called "SIKA BOOM AP. It's a high expanding foam and is used for filling, insulating and fixing. It sets very firm but not hard, can be easily shaped, carved or sanded, AND can be painted any colour you want.
Hope this helps.

Bob.

Skie_M

We've got something called "Great Stuff" ... it's an expanding spray foam. Sounds like the same stuff! :)

Ends up with lots of little voids and big voids from the expansion. I don't think they would look all that great if he's cutting the proper shapes out, but he could use it with something like the hotforming method, to form it against a mold.

jttheclockman

Let me ask this question. Does anyone know of a problem with certain foam attacking a finish such as CA on a pen? Has anyone have first hand knowledge or have any data backing this claim up? And if so what type foam are we talking about. ?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a couple choices that I would consider. I would have no problem cutting and shaping, just need to know what type is safe to use. More data needed. I wish I could remember where I was reading this now.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Never heard about it, myself... though I have seen styrofoam and soft plastics (like worms and such from fishing lures) that don't play well with other plastics and each other.

ossaguy

Let me ask this question. Does anyone know of a problem with certain foam attacking a finish such as CA on a pen? Has anyone have first hand knowledge or have any data backing this claim up? And if so what type foam are we talking about. ?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a couple choices that I would consider. I would have no problem cutting and shaping, just need to know what type is safe to use. More data needed. I wish I could remember where I was reading this now.

I used the thick foam organizer sheet kit that Sears sells. ( part number is 65417 with a 9 with a line under it before the part #)

I have had ca-finished pens in it a long time and no problems.

Steve

Comes with 2 sheets and a white adhesive-backed paper that you can draw out your design,stick it on,then trim it with the nice razor knife that comes in the kit,then pull off the tracing paper.

Here's how my case turned out..

Attachments

• IMG_5965.JPG
    IMG_5965.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 143
Top Bottom