Chemical Processes forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Would you like a Chemical Processes forum?

• Yes, this information would be helpful to myself or others

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • No, this wouldn't be beneficial to anyone

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • No, because I like to disagree with everyone

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BradG

Hello Chaps
A couple of members have suggested opening a chemical processes forum. In this area I would create a thread for

Anodising
Exothermic etching
Electrolytic Etching
Electropolishing
Tank designs (sorry, not the Army type)

detailing the method which works best for me. Everyone else would be invited to post any questions to the thread so that others can read the replies, possibly helping prevent the same question being answered twice.

Of course anyone else is welcome to create a thread in this area relating to the subject. Rather than having pages of comments, figured a poll would be easier.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

I would certainly like to see more info available on this sort of stuff. I read your tutorial on anodising in the library today.
I am too busy and have too much on my plate already to start doing anything like that at the moment, but one day things will change and I will have spare time on my hands. In the meantime I will be happy to read what you and others are doing.

pianomanpj

I've watched your videos, Brad, and I find them most informative. For me, the biggest concern is safety - I don't know what I don't know, and that can be concerning. Any information on equipment, safety and technique are most appreciated!

BradG

I would certainly like to see more info available on this sort of stuff. I read your tutorial on anodising in the library today.
I am too busy and have too much on my plate already to start doing anything like that at the moment, but one day things will change and I will have spare time on my hands. In the meantime I will be happy to read what you and others are doing.

One day, nothing wrong with that :wink: Picking up a few tips along the way will certainly make it easier for you when you eventually come to the practical

I've watched your videos, Brad, and I find them most informative. For me, the biggest concern is safety - I don't know what I don't know, and that can be concerning. Any information on equipment, safety and technique are most appreciated!

I'm sure we can cover the safety aspects in great detail. some processes are really safe. others, not so much. Those ones in the past I've avoided sharing online just incase someone made a mistake. I'm left in two minds of either not sharing the information of the more hazardous processes, or adding a very bold disclaimer to the beginning of the post.

For now, il focus on the safer ones everyone can enjoy and cover all the pro's and con's :)

bobleibo

I doubt I am going to ever do this myself but I think the process is very interesting and knowing a little about what goes into it would be great.

Does that mean this nullifies the vote above for "No, this wouldn't be beneficial to anyone" since I would get some benefit or does this make me the person who falls into the category of "No, because I like to disagree with everyone " ?
Inquiring minds want to know~

Last edited:

BradG

Already done that. and as a result I get asked alot of questions by private message. Id rather people could post their questions underneath so others can benefit with the answer. Secondly, it warrants a forum so other processes and techniques can be discussed.

BradG

I doubt I am going to ever do this myself but I think the process is very interesting and knowing a little about what goes into it would be great.

Does that mean this nullifies the vote above for "No, this wouldn't be beneficial to anyone" since I would get some benefit or does this make me the person who falls into the category of "No, because I like to disagree with everyone " ?

surely if you think the processes are interesting you would agree that it would be of benefit to someone else. so vote yes. The options contain a degree of british sarcasm I guess.

jttheclockman

This would probably not have any immediate effect on me for I do not dabble in those type things. There are so many other ways for me to experiment with that little round stick.:) But I could see how it may be helpful to others because we do see a broad range of individual minds here. I would think a sub category under Advance Pen Making could not hurt at all. This just being another way to go about expanding our little playing field of pen making. Any source of info can only be a good thing. I think though that a disclaimer has to be included and safety of its highest degree must be stressed. Even though it does not rattle my cage I did vote yes and who knows what the future may hold.

bobleibo

surely if you think the processes are interesting you would agree that it would be of benefit to someone else. so vote yes. The options contain a degree of british sarcasm I guess.

I did....I really am interested in seeing how this works.
Oooops, am I not supposed to say what I voted for? Oh well...life goes on

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Voted yes but would also be happy to see as posts in advanced pen making. Wonder how many would actually start threads. Haven't seen too many others.

BradG

I'm hoping it will attract others. I know of a couple of members which are very good with chemical finishing such as patina's

In the meantime I'm happy enough to give it some content

TonyL

I am interested in learning just about anything (excepted how to extend sanding time LOL). I don't know if this subject is or is not worth a forum...so I didn't vote. But I would definitely visit it.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Didn't vote... Couldn't find a fitting answer. My vote is no to a split forum. Love the idea and hope you add to the library AND start discussion threads, but I would see this as even more limited than the pen wizard forum. It's better for these to be out mixed in with other advanced threads.

BradG

Didn't vote... Couldn't find a fitting answer. My vote is no to a split forum. Love the idea and hope you add to the library AND start discussion threads, but I would see this as even more limited than the pen wizard forum. It's better for these to be out mixed in with other advanced threads.

I'm not expecting the forum to be a hive of activity, but why does it have to be busy? So long as people are reading the information, it serves its purpose. I personally feel metal finishing techniques should be grouped together.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

I want to vote a definite possible maybe...I can see where it might be interesting (I wouldn't be trying much, if any of it myself) to see how some things are done. On the other hand I don't see much of a demand for it. But then you know how many questions you're fielding.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I'm not expecting the forum to be a hive of activity, but why does it have to be busy? So long as people are reading the information, it serves its purpose. I personally feel metal finishing techniques should be grouped together.

Because it creates chaos and fragmentation and work for Jeff. You said chemical processes in the initial post, and now you just used the term "metal finishing techniques". Where does non-chemical techniques go - another new forum? Then the next person wants a forum just for CA finishing of pens.. there's a topic that gets a ton of discussion but isn't in its own forum? Then the next person wants a separate forum for making blanks with a CNC - that would be a great forum.... Pretty soon we have 5000 forums none of which are busy.

Remember different people browse differently - some browse in the busy forums and never make it into the specialized forums to see the information.

Skie_M

Well ... it's kinda obvious to me that all of these electro-chemical finishing techniques are specifically for metals.

I'ld love to see these topics grouped together in a small specialty forum just so that the information doesn't get lost in a sea of posts that have nothing to do with metalworking ..... However, my take on this has changed a tiny bit. We already have a metal lathe forum .... why not just put all these topics in there, as the pens made with metalworking techniques will naturally need a metal finishing technique?

GaryMGg

Given Alphageeks concerns, perhaps the solution is training folks to use tags.
Tags allow for separate areas without segregation by using simple searches.

magpens

Well ... it's kinda obvious to me that all of these electro-chemical finishing techniques are specifically for metals.

I'ld love to see these topics grouped together in a small specialty forum just so that the information doesn't get lost in a sea of posts that have nothing to do with metalworking ..... However, my take on this has changed a tiny bit. We already have a metal lathe forum .... why not just put all these topics in there, as the pens made with metalworking techniques will naturally need a metal finishing technique?

Not true !!! I have used *only*a metalworking lathe to make 600+ wood and acrylic pens since the start of my pen-making career over 5 years ago. I have yet to make a metal pen or any pen that requires metal finishing techniques.

Top Bottom