New Forums or New Tags?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I was about to create a couple new forums under the Blank Making area (Polyclay and Chemical Processes), but a thought occurred to me.

Would people prefer new subforums, or would a single forum with "thread tagging" be preferred? Thread tagging is what we do in the Deals forum (pic below) where all the threads are in one forum, but the title is prefixed with a tag (set from a drop down box when posting) that identifies the type of topic. That way you see all the threads which are related, but the specific topic is in the tag. You can also filter the list by prefix (in the "Display Options" box at the bottom of the thread list) to see just the tag you are interested in.

Thoughts? It's sort of a compromise that addresses the idea that too many subforums dilutes the discussion versus the desire to highlight certain discussion topics.

For the Blank Making forum, I was thinking about tags: "Segmenting", "Casting", "Stabilization", "Chemical Processes", and "Polyclay"

Sample of "Thread Tagging"
attachment.php

Attachments

• tags.JPG
    tags.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 306
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

I think thread tagging is a great idea, Jeff. It's a good compromise to be able to sort by specific topic but still be able to keep the "10,000 foot view". If I have to search multiple forums just to find the info I'm looking for, I easily get distracted (WAY to easy to do!) and ultimately frustrated. You've got my vote for tagging!

alphageek

Former Moderator
Love the idea of thread tagging! Keeps stuff together and also allows for sorting out threads/filtering, but if desired can still easily browse topics. I assume you can add tags pretty easily?

I could see this working good in other forums?

In SOYP - could add "kitless", "Contest winner" and other tags to help with the looking for stuff there too?

plantman

Jeff; Being gray on the head and long in the tooth, someone would have to explain in very simple detail how to thread tag to me. I am always happy when the PC lights up when I turn it on, other than that I don't know much about moving around a site. Remember, I still had a hole in my school desk for a ink well. Sounds like a very good idea !! Maybe we could have a forum on how to move around this site, with tips and tricks on how to save time in searches. Maybe it already exists here someplace and just needs to be pointed out. Jim S

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I think thread tagging is a great idea! People will be able to find what they want to find but will not isolate themselves in a particular sub-forum.

CREID

If i'm not mistaken, tags is what you use un the vendor forum for cheers and jeers and review. If this is what you are thinking and doing and want my opinion, I'm all for that. I think that let's people know more about what is in a thread before they decide to read it. I myself don't have time to read every thread and probably miss some I would like to read and some I open and read the first line and close it. That is not to say what that person had to say wasn't important or interesting, it just may not have been to me.

Curt

jttheclockman

My thoughts

Here is my thoughts and this is going to bring up bad vibes. I know it. I am about things being in order. I like order. I do not want to have to open a general forum page and scan through the entire set pages looking for topics that I want to read. You would have to do that with Tags. Tags work in the selling forum because they are instantaneous. Once gone or bought they go away and they do not need to be revisited.

If you subdivide a forum and be more specific then if you want to revisit a segmented question, a casting question and so forth you do not have to sift through a whole bunch of pages looking for tags. That to me would get frustrating because we are now talking forums that are the main crux of this site. And here is the bad vibe. This was the main reason I tried to get the WOW photo forum started. It singles out the best of the best. It puts order in place. But just like that suggestion it had its good and bad points pointed out. This too has them.

I think and I am a little bias here that when the segmenting forum started it was at first met with some disdain but it grew. It may not get the attention as it once did and maybe that one is a little on me because I have not posted to it as much. I just right now am not making pens. But I think other subforums would be welcomed and if used properly they will become valuable to the site. It establishes order.

I vote for subforums.:)

jttheclockman

If i'm not mistaken, tags is what you use un the vendor forum for cheers and jeers and review. If this is what you are thinking and doing and want my opinion, I'm all for that. I think that let's people know more about what is in a thread before they decide to read it. I myself don't have time to read every thread and probably miss some I would like to read and some I open and read the first line and close it. That is not to say what that person had to say wasn't important or interesting, it just may not have been to me.

Curt

Deleted. sorry.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Here is my thoughts and this is going to bring up bad vibes. I know it. I am about things being in order. I like order. I do not want to have to open a general forum page and scan through the entire set pages looking for topics that I want to read. You would have to do that with Tags. Tags work in the selling forum because they are instantaneous. Once gone or bought they go away and they do not need to be revisited.

If you subdivide a forum and be more specific then if you want to revisit a segmented question, a casting question and so forth you do not have to sift through a whole bunch of pages looking for tags. That to me would get frustrating because we are now talking forums that are the main crux of this site. And here is the bad vibe. This was the main reason I tried to get the WOW photo forum started. It singles out the best of the best. It puts order in place. But just like that suggestion it had its good and bad points pointed out. This too has them.

I think and I am a little bias here that when the segmenting forum started it was at first met with some disdain but it grew. It may not get the attention as it once did and maybe that one is a little on me because I have not posted to it as much. I just right now am not making pens. But I think other subforums would be welcomed and if used properly they will become valuable to the site. It establishes order.

I vote for subforums.:)

John

I wholeheartedly agree for forums where there is a lot of traffic. There may be an advantage in areas where there is not much activity. The Deals forum is an example where there are at most a few posts a day. I am thinking that blank making may be a good candidate too.

If you subdivide a forum and be more specific then if you want to revisit a segmented question, a casting question and so forth you do not have to sift through a whole bunch of pages looking for tags.

You can list or search within just a particular tag. That might be a help in finding things.

We could also have a mix of tags and subforums in a particular area. If a particular aspect of blank making gets a lot of chatter, we could make a subforum.

Wct3

Here is my thoughts and this is going to bring up bad vibes. I know it. I am about things being in order. I like order. I do not want to have to open a general forum page and scan through the entire set pages looking for topics that I want to read. You would have to do that with Tags. Tags work in the selling forum because they are instantaneous. Once gone or bought they go away and they do not need to be revisited. If you subdivide a forum and be more specific then if you want to revisit a segmented question, a casting question and so forth you do not have to sift through a whole bunch of pages looking for tags. That to me would get frustrating because we are now talking forums that are the main crux of this site. And here is the bad vibe. This was the main reason I tried to get the WOW photo forum started. It singles out the best of the best. It puts order in place. But just like that suggestion it had its good and bad points pointed out. This too has them. I think and I am a little bias here that when the segmenting forum started it was at first met with some disdain but it grew. It may not get the attention as it once did and maybe that one is a little on me because I have not posted to it as much. I just right now am not making pens. But I think other subforums would be welcomed and if used properly they will become valuable to the site. It establishes order. I vote for subforums.:)
Not all bad vibes--- If you can view by tags the functionality is similar, but for those of us on things like "forum runner" or similar Android and IOS apps, Tags are displayed but can't be used as a filter. In this case I'd rather have subforums. Unfortunately, I would also agree that too many subforums probably decrease participation.

Top Bottom