Caution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Something was mentioned in another thread about my use of DNA and it got me thinking. It does not get said enough here so this is just a friendly reminder.

We as pen makers and or various other arts and crafts should always and I mean always be aware of our surroundings in our shops. We as craftsman need to be aware of the materials we use and chemicals that are in our shops. We should have a working knowledge of any and all tools we choose to work with. We should all be aware of the potential dangers of the mentioned as well of the dangers of air borne contaminants such as dusts that can be both harmful for us by way of breathing and also by way of ignition source.

We are a forum of artisans that love the art of pen making. We love to share our knowledge when questions get asked. What seems like a harmless hobby to many and there is a constant stream of NEWBIES signing on here every day can be just as hazardous as crossing the street against the light. The place we decide to call our shop has a comfort zone for us. But we need to realize those dangers. This is not a panic posting of any means. It is an awareness posting.

We all do not really know any members here. I say this to the point of you do not know their skill sets, you do not know their knowledge of working with tools. You do not know what they are or not capable of doing. With that said when someone posts a question and answers are given remember the above words. But it is not our duty to inform each and everyone the potential dangers within a certain procedure. If something stands out loud and clear and you think it is prudent to mention than do so. Many times when someone explains a procedure they use or materials or tools they use, they may leave out certain facts that they seem are not relevant or because they do it so regularly that forget to mention. We as a forum supply basic info and it is recorded all over this place. But we must realize there are many ways to do everything we do in the world and what works for one may not work for others but we need to be intelligent enough and have that working knowledge to decipher for ourselves what to do with the info being supplied.

Being the person who pushed to get the Segmenting forum started a few years ago, I started the forum with a very basic reminder as my very first post in it. That was to remind people they will be doing a part of pen making that requires many different tools and techniques not associated with making a basic pen. With that, know the tools you are using. This applies here as well. Know the tools and materials that you use in your comfort zone, your shop. help make this a safe hobby and enjoy the time spent doing it.

With all this said may I wish every one a happy and safe turning journey. Now lets see those pens.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Something was mentioned in another thread about my use of DNA and it got me thinking. It does not get said enough here so this is just a friendly reminder.

We as pen makers and or various other arts and crafts should always and I mean always be aware of our surroundings in our shops. We as craftsman need to be aware of the materials we use and chemicals that are in our shops. We should have a working knowledge of any and all tools we choose to work with. We should all be aware of the potential dangers of the mentioned as well of the dangers of air borne contaminants such as dusts that can be both harmful for us by way of breathing and also by way of ignition source.

We are a forum of artisans that love the art of pen making. We love to share our knowledge when questions get asked. What seems like a harmless hobby to many and there is a constant stream of NEWBIES signing on here every day can be just as hazardous as crossing the street against the light. The place we decide to call our shop has a comfort zone for us. But we need to realize those dangers. This is not a panic posting of any means. It is an awareness posting.

We all do not really know any members here. I say this to the point of you do not know their skill sets, you do not know their knowledge of working with tools. You do not know what they are or not capable of doing. With that said when someone posts a question and answers are given remember the above words. But it is not our duty to inform each and everyone the potential dangers within a certain procedure. If something stands out loud and clear and you think it is prudent to mention than do so. Many times when someone explains a procedure they use or materials or tools they use, they may leave out certain facts that they seem are not relevant or because they do it so regularly that forget to mention. We as a forum supply basic info and it is recorded all over this place. But we must realize there are many ways to do everything we do in the world and what works for one may not work for others but we need to be intelligent enough and have that working knowledge to decipher for ourselves what to do with the info being supplied.

Being the person who pushed to get the Segmenting forum started a few years ago, I started the forum with a very basic reminder as my very first post in it. That was to remind people they will be doing a part of pen making that requires many different tools and techniques not associated with making a basic pen. With that, know the tools you are using. This applies here as well. Know the tools and materials that you use in your comfort zone, your shop. help make this a safe hobby and enjoy the time spent doing it.

With all this said may I wish every one a happy and safe turning journey. Now lets see those pens.:)
I presume that the item in red was intended as an example of the words highlighed in black. I assume that by DNA you were not referring to Deoxyribonucleic acid which is the most common use of the term DNA. I would hazzard a guess (I don't think I read the other post you mention) that you meant Denatured Alcohol which is often used as a solvent (or fuel for alcohol burners),:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I presume that the item in red was intended as an example of the words highlighed in black. I assume that by DNA you were not referring to Deoxyribonucleic acid which is the most common use of the term DNA. I would hazzard a guess (I don't think I read the other post you mention) that you meant Denatured Alcohol which is often used as a solvent (or fuel for alcohol burners),:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Wow I go to just about any other woodworking site that I visit and the initials dna are understood without mention. :biggrin:

Here I must remember to spell it out Denatured Alcohol. It has many uses. It is used an additive also. People that do spraying with HVLP (high velosity low pressure) guns usually will run denatured alcohol through the system if they use water base finishes to rid the water from them to keep the parts from rusting or corroding. I can name a few more applications that I use but I won't in fear of people misunderstanding and misuse.

plantman

:confused: John; I think that the generation gap may be the problem here !! Only us older woodworkers remember what Denatured Alcohol is and what it can be used for. Today's generation thinks that DNA is what they use to put you behind bars when a crime has been committed. It's like trying to explain to them that all tools do not come with electrical cords, and their answer would be "yes, some have batteries". Jim S

jttheclockman

:confused: John; I think that the generation gap may be the problem here !! Only us older woodworkers remember what Denatured Alcohol is and what it can be used for. Today's generation thinks that DNA is what they use to put you behind bars when a crime has been committed. It's like trying to explain to them that all tools do not come with electrical cords, and their answer would be "yes, some have batteries". Jim S

Jim I think you are correct.:biggrin: But the thing is the younger generation use too many abbreviations that they forget how to spell. You need a cheat sheet to talk to someone these days. :biggrin:

Drewboy22

John, you make a very good point. And the comments above prove that not everyone aware or knowledgeable of the terms, tools, or techniques used buy others. I am new to wood working so I fall in that group that did not know what DNA was and Denatured Alcohol (which I use) didn't even cross my mind.

Thanks for the reminder :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Generation Gap? I don't pretend to know how old you guys are but I can't feature you being born much before 1937 which is where the 37 in my ID comes from.

Also, while I was not a dedicated woodworker my first woodworking project was a ping pong table and my second a dog house both undertaken in 1964.:biggrin::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Jim I think you are correct.:biggrin: But the thing is the younger generation use too many abbreviations that they forget how to spell. You need a cheat sheet to talk to someone these days. :biggrin:
We agree totally on that point, I'm not even sure one cheat sheet is enough. And then you need a cheat sheet to tell you which cheat sheet to use.:biggrin: BTW I think somebody here published one for us at one time. but I could be thinking of somewhere else.

CREID

Generation Gap? I don't pretend to know how old you guys are but I can't feature you being born much before 1937 which is where the 37 in my ID comes from.

Also, while I was not a dedicated woodworker my first woodworking project was a ping pong table and my second a dog house both undertaken in 1964.:biggrin::biggrin:

I wasn't aware there were any of you still alive.:biggrin:

Curt

plantman

We agree totally on that point, I'm not even sure one cheat sheet is enough. And then you need a cheat sheet to tell you which cheat sheet to use.:biggrin: BTW I think somebody here published one for us at one time. but I could be thinking of somewhere else.

:bananen_smilies019: Smitty; I probably should have said technology gap instead of generation gap. You know the time, when if we wanted to know something about something, we had to go to the library and look it up. Or, ask one of the older people in our society about it. You may have even had to resort to sending away for information. Now days if I want to know what some people are talking about I have to rely on my grand kids to translate for me. Remember when we were in school and the girls would talk in gibberish ( you younger people will have to look that one up) so the boys wouldn't know what they were saying ?? I believe there was at one time, or maybe still is, a cheat sheet on the abbreviations used on this site. I hope someone can bring this up again so I can communicate with others on our site in the future. Thank goodness we don't have to use the semaphore flags any more !! Jim S

Creid; Yes, some of us old farts are still around !! And your lucky that we are willing to pass on the good points and the bad that we have gone through in our lifetimes, along with the knowledge of the trades we have learned in that time. We have seen the change from hand tools ( you know the ones without cords or batteries) to CNC machines and lasers. I like to think that because of the "old timer's" advice, there are a few less 7 fingered 2 thumb woodworkers out there. Take care and be aware !!!! Jim S

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

:bananen_smilies019: Smitty; I probably should have said technology gap instead of generation gap. You know the time, when if we wanted to know something about something, we had to go to the library and look it up. Or, ask one of the older people in our society about it. You may have even had to resort to sending away for information. Now days if I want to know what some people are talking about I have to rely on my grand kids to translate for me. Remember when we were in school and the girls would talk in gibberish ( you younger people will have to look that one up) so the boys wouldn't know what they were saying ?? I believe there was at one time, or maybe still is, a cheat sheet on the abbreviations used on this site. I hope someone can bring this up again so I can communicate with others on our site in the future. Thank goodness we don't have to use the semaphore flags any more !! Jim S

Creid; Yes, some of us old farts are still around !! And your lucky that we are willing to pass on the good points and the bad that we have gone through in our lifetimes, along with the knowledge of the trades we have learned in that time. We have seen the change from hand tools ( you know the ones without cords or batteries) to CNC machines and lasers. I like to think that because of the "old timer's" advice, there are a few less 7 fingered 2 thumb woodworkers out there. Take care and be aware !!!! Jim S
Heck they weren't so bad, at least I could read them.

plantman

Smitty; I believe they still use them on Navy ships at close range so they don't have to use the air ways to pass information. Jim S

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty; I believe they still use them on Navy ships at close range so they don't have to use the air ways to pass information. Jim S
Well I can't argue with that but I wll say we used blinking lights a lot more at close range even 60 years ago when I was in. We all had to learn semaphore in boot camp but it was rarely used except to give Signalmen practice. My checking says they are still in use during replenishment at sea exercises.

jttheclockman

Just to get this back on tract here and not make this about abbreviations and things this is a serious matter and should be something to take with the intent it was written.

With so many people getting into pen turning in general, it would be wise to invest some time in learning proper usage and handling of materials in a workshop. I see here so many questions about how to's .

plantman

John: You are correct in stating that safety is a very serious matter that effects our daily lives. However, there is not a person, book, school, workplace, or web site that can cover each and ever thing that could happen to us in our life time !! We can only do our best to relate to others any experiences that we have had, good or bad, to those who choose to listen. We can not make the world idiot proof!! We can only try to educate. Some things that happen are beyond our control, some from a lapse in concentration , others are just plain stupid actions. You, I, and others on this site try to point out the best and safest ways to achieve the results members want to see. Any tool that is not hand powered has the purpose of doing it's task no matter what gets in its way. Even sharp hand tools are dangerous if not used in the proper manner. One of the biggest protectors we can use are safety glasses !!! The task may only take a second or two, but it takes less time than that to blind you for life. This not only includes moving objects, but also the chemicals we use in our daily lives, be it in the home, shop, or around the yard. So read the warning labels, go through the manuals before using a new item, take note of what other people have posted in the past, and use your head and ask questions if you have them. We do the best we can, that's all we can do !! Jim S

jttheclockman

Jim

You are 100% correct and that is why I made the point about anyone looking for answers here that from the time it gets printed here many things can go wrong. It is just a warning to be vigilant. You bring up a very good point about safety glasses.

I can remember when I started in my construction days as an electrician how I and many others hated to wear safety glasses and even hardhats. But being involved in many plants and working conditions that were truely not the safest I quickly came to the realization that they are a must. Then it became second nature. Always had my safety glasses on . I carried that in my shop along with many other safety things I learned from the trades. Today safety measures is carried out to another level because of cost of insurances and lost time accidents.

If it doesn't feel right then it probably is not. Stop and regroup. Far too often we do not have enough time to do it right the first time but we have time to redo it. Work safe is the message here.

CREID

Jim

You are 100% correct and that is why I made the point about anyone looking for answers here that from the time it gets printed here many things can go wrong. It is just a warning to be vigilant. You bring up a very good point about safety glasses.

I can remember when I started in my construction days as an electrician how I and many others hated to wear safety glasses and even hardhats. But being involved in many plants and working conditions that were truely not the safest I quickly came to the realization that they are a must. Then it became second nature. Always had my safety glasses on . I carried that in my shop along with many other safety things I learned from the trades. Today safety measures is carried out to another level because of cost of insurances and lost time accidents.

If it doesn't feel right then it probably is not. Stop and regroup. Far too often we do not have enough time to do it right the first time but we have time to redo it. Work safe is the message here.

I remember when I was 18 I had a job making ink in an ink company and hated wearing a mask when pouring things like leaded pigment and ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz huh oh where was I, oh yeah i'll have a cheeseburger and a diet coke.:)
Seriously though later in life I actually put my job on the line once while at a customers plant and chewed out one of there pressman, He put his hand in an area where he was more likely than not to get it cut off, I chewed his ass and told him I would not stand there and watch him lose his hand less than a week from his retirement. I walked out of the plant once when I had the job making ink, my coworkers were mopping the floor with aromatic #1 (highly flammable) the boss came across the street and asked me what I was doing and I told him I wasn't going to die in there. A couple years later while I was laid off, they mopped the locker room floor with solvent and was so stupid to realize that the gas furnace located in the same very small locker room would ignite the solvent. They burned the whole place down, the building had 2 tenants the other was a tire warehouse and it was a spectacular column of black smoke that could be seen for miles.

Curt

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Just to get this back on tract here and not make this about abbreviations and things this is a serious matter and should be something to take with the intent it was written.

With so many people getting into pen turning in general, it would be wise to invest some time in learning proper usage and handling of materials in a workshop. I see here so many questions about how to's .
John, I'm sorry - I assumed that no one would take issue with your OP post, and nobody has. I'm not too sure what more can be said about that. You covered it pretty well.

jttheclockman

:)Smitty no need to be sorry. I know all too well how threads take different twists and turns and that is natural. heck I do it all the time and even in my own threads that I start. Many times it makes for interesting reading and there are also times when other points get made that were not intended but flow right in. An example here is the use of safety glasses in the shop. Very good point and something that gets overlooked.

I did not mean anything by trying to steer the topic back on line and tried to get off the abbreviation thing even though that is what got me into writing this. :)Sometimes we as humans get too complacent and we need a little reminder to pay attention to simple things as we enjoy our hobbies.

Enjoy the day.

I second or third or whatever place I am in the line on the use of the safety glasses... I even wear them when I mow the grass. Yesterday I was working on a bowl in the shop, put some thin CA in a small crack, sprayed the Ca with accelerator, then went about doing something else while it set... when I got back to the bowl, I was wearing only a pair of reading glasses (I need them to see my close work) and had not put my face shield on yet...I had it in my hand ready to put on but not on.... I flipped the switch on the lathe.. the glue evidently had not set yet and I felt a couple of drops hit my face and one went into the corner of my eye... no damage to the eye, but it was irritated all night and has just begun to feel normal again... eyes are hard to come by, so take care and pay close attention to what John was saying.

Skie_M

Wow ... so them 49's must still seem like young'uns you even today... o_O

We might want to keep a low down on the PC or the VC could catch wind of our VIP and he might get KIA and then we'ld all be put out on KP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom