1964.. OH What FUN we had.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

I recently saw a wooden Hot-Rod model posted on another Forum, such fantastic detail made it look soooo good. I thought why not share the "Machine" my younger brother and I built in our back shed/lean to.:)

I had a Vauxhall utility 6 cyl vehicle which I rolled over and wrecked.:redface:
We rescued the engine and gearbox for further use at a later date.

My brother got a small chassis and wheels from a mate and this became the foundation for this monster.

The engine would not fit in the proper place so we mounted it in the centre of the chassis. That looked good but created a bit of a problem elsewhere. There was now not enough room for the clutch and gearbox, we had to have a clutch so the answer was simple, cut the gearbox housing with a hacksaw and just leave the front part with the input shaft bearing. Not a problem.:biggrin:

Then we had 12 inches for the tailshaft, this was made by welding the universal joint to the input shaft end and a tube about 4 inches long between the two uni joints.:eek:

After mounting the radiator in front of the engine there was no room for the seats so they went in between the front wheels. No sweat. Only problem now was the controls, so we mounted the steering wheel and pedals onto the front cross member. Nice and safe. !!!!!!!!:eek:

NOW, after all this work we could not have a standard engine could we, so a trip to a wrecking yard produced two BIG carburettors, I think they came from trucks and we had to completely block one of the idle jets and the other one was reduced in size by inserting an oily wire, then soldering the hole and pulling the wire out. Worked a treat. Now we had to make a manifold, this took a bit of time using a piece of 2" galvanised water pipe, and some flat steel bar. Now for the NOISE, the exhaust was made with 6 different lengths of tube, each with a flare on the end. That worked very well.

The road tests were successful, although the Road Safety Authority would have had a meltdown if they had been confronted with this Machine.

We had some wild times on this, and it went like it was supposed to.

Happily we are still both alive, although I don't know how.:cool:

The first photo shows me at 19.:)

I hope you enjoy this and thanks for looking.
Comments welcome.

Bob.

PS. JTtheClockman inspired this post, thanks John.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 287
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 279
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Thanks for sharing, Bob. Nothing like a bit of ingenuity!! It brings back memories for me as well! I think we were all a bit crazy back then (lost the brakes we made on a little hot rod when I was 13 going down a mile long hill. Had to pick a neighbor's house with a lot of flowers and little trees so we wouldn't hit the intersection:big grin:) Boy, we sure knew how to have fun. Also our water came from the garden hose and not bottles.

Oh, well, thanks again:wink:

Last edited:

Sataro

Amazing memories. Teaching students today, all I see is cell phones & video games in their lives. I don't think they know how to have fun without all the electronics in their life.

Charlie_W

Very cool Bob! You all made it work!
I like the starter shaft sticking out through a hole in the bell housing!
And you didn't have to shift gears!

1080Wayne

Just the barest essentials Charlie, and no need for gears, just go or stop. The only two speeds that were needed.

Bob:biggrin:

Beautiful Bob , but how fast was the `Go`speed ?

Bob Wemm

Just the barest essentials Charlie, and no need for gears, just go or stop. The only two speeds that were needed.

Bob:biggrin:

Beautiful Bob , but how fast was the `Go`speed ?

There was no speedo, so it all revolved around "nerves", probably in the region of 60-80MPH.:eek:

Bob

SteveG

All I can say is this: It is a good thing you have pictures, because this experience, as detailed in this thread, pushes the limits of "story telling". :wink:

GREAT STORY!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom