Soft blow hammer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

It's raining cats and dogs here in western NC so I couldn't cut the grass, I was kinda bored and decided to make me a hammer for knocking around the lathe. I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.......

attachment.php

It's made from the same 5/8" tool steel as my tool rests and has replaceable brass and Delrin tips.
attachment.php

It's real easy to make and it's perfect for beating on things that you don't want to get all boogered up.:biggrin:

Attachments

• hammer 005.jpg
    hammer 005.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 4,848
  • hammer 004.jpg
    hammer 004.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,855
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kruzzer

you had nothing else to do so you thought you would just "knock" one of these out????
you know you really tic me off... nice job on the hammer... can I get one???

Fred

Excellent hammer. Just what I need though ... something else within hands reach to beat the blazes out of 'things that go wrong!' It never is my fault ya know!! :eek: I mean really, it never is my fault.

rherrell

THANKS guys!
I had absolutely no intentions on selling these but I may have to think about it, 5 min. after I posted I got a two PM's from guys asking if I could make them one.:biggrin:

SDB777

Too bad the lawn didn't get to be mowed.....wish I could have said the same from here. Dang sun came out and made the stuff grow!

Cool whacker ya made! Anyone in mind to start whackin' on?

Scott

rherrell

What do you use it for? I've only had my metal lathe for a short time, but I haven't run across a need for a hammer yet...

You should watch me work sometime...if it doesn't fit.....:biggrin:

All kidding aside, what I use it for the most is centering pin chucks in my metal lathe. I use a standard 3 jaw chuck and the pin chuck sticks out about 3", I put a dial indicator on it and "KNOCK" it so I have a max. of .001" runout at the end.:wink:

firewhatfire

cool idea and if it does make it to a site for sale it should also have the option of replacement heads. Cause I know some people like to use tools for something other than intended.

Phil

Padre

Very, very nice. And if you do start making them, count me in.

Gilrock

Nice...I'd like to make something like that. It was easy for you but probably a nice challenge for me since I'm just learning. I went looking for Tool Steel and see like 8 different types so I was wondering what type do you use for something like that? And do you have to do anything to harden the metal?

jd99

What do you use it for? I've only had my metal lathe for a short time, but I haven't run across a need for a hammer yet...

You should watch me work sometime...if it doesn't fit.....:biggrin:

All kidding aside, what I use it for the most is centering pin chucks in my metal lathe. I use a standard 3 jaw chuck and the pin chuck sticks out about 3", I put a dial indicator on it and "KNOCK" it so I have a max. of .001" runout at the end.:wink:
Back in the day when I was still working in the field we used to call that Micro Adjustments and we did it with a very specialized tool that looked real close to what you made a Micro Adjustment Alignment tool :wink:.

I still have a couple in the shop but they no longer look as good as yours. Too much micro adjustment I guess :rolleyes:

Good looking tool.

jd99

Nice...I'd like to make something like that. It was easy for you but probably a nice challenge for me since I'm just learning. I went looking for Tool Steel and see like 8 different types so I was wondering what type do you use for something like that? And do you have to do anything to harden the metal?

For home use I would suggest using O1 tool steel, you can harden it your self with just a torch, and a bucket of oil, just heat the part up until it's red and drop it in the oil, then to anneal it back so it's not brittle just heat it up until it starts to turn blue.

Made tons of stuff with O1 over the years. Just make sure you have a fire suppression stuff close by, and do it outside. :eek:

Gilrock

For home use I would suggest using O1 tool steel, you can harden it your self with just a torch, and a bucket of oil, just heat the part up until it's red and drop it in the oil, then to anneal it back so it's not brittle just heat it up until it starts to turn blue.

Made tons of stuff with O1 over the years. Just make sure you have a fire suppression stuff close by, and do it outside. :eek:

Thanks for the info. So I'm assuming you would harden it after you do all the machining right? And if so then how do you get it back to looking as nice as when it came off the lathe...like the photo in this thread of the hammer? I would think for a tool like this you could get away without hardening it because you're not banging on the actual steel....unless it's going to snap without that step.

jd99

Thanks for the info. So I'm assuming you would harden it after you do all the machining right? And if so then how do you get it back to looking as nice as when it came off the lathe...like the photo in this thread of the hammer? I would think for a tool like this you could get away without hardening it because you're not banging on the actual steel....unless it's going to snap without that step.
You can chuck it back up and polish it with some emery cloth, or bead blast it, the metal will clean back up, oh and yes you machine it first.

You wouldn't have to harden the handle, I have a hamer with a Alum handle the only thing I did was andoize it, and it has never snaped or broke. Also you wouldn't want a hammer head to be too hard it would chip and shatter (On the same order of glass), and you dont want little slivers of metal getting in your eyes. DAMHIKT.

You can machine after heat treat, it's just tougher to cut, and you would have to cut with carbide, not HSS.

rherrell

I use W-1 tool steel because it's the cheapest, mind you I'm not "cheap" but I sell my tool rests for very little $ as a service to my fellow IAP members and I need to keep my costs down. Even though W-1 is the cheapest of the tool steels, it's still a tool steel and is very good for what I do. The hammer is made of the same stuff and is not hardened because you don't hit the steel, you hit the replaceable faces.

It's not polished either, that's the look I get right off the lathe.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Gilrock

Thanks Rick...I was already placing an order for some aluminum and brass yesterday so I wanted to add a piece of tool steel to the order. I already had picked the O1 based on the other feedback. I spot checked prices but there were 7 different types of tool steel and I never got down to W1 to notice it costs a little less but I'll remember for next time. I had the same thought that it didn't need to be hardened since you are banging on the brass and plastic parts.

If you don't mind sharing how are you doing those interior threads on the hammer head? They look so nice I'm not sure how I'd accomplish that. Curious to know if it's done by hand or using a machine.

corian king

Nice job!! I would also be interested in getting one from you if you do decide to make a few.I would like to know a little more about the size and weight.

rherrell

Gil, the threads are done with a tap and die, I could cut them using the lathe but with standard sizes it's just faster and easier.

Jim, the hammer weighs 11 oz. and is 7" long. The knurled part is 5/8"x4" and was made to fit MY hand, of course all these dimensions can be changed to whatever you like.:biggrin:

jd99

You know you don't really need tool steel to make stuff like hammer handles, I would use something like 4130 or Flexor (it's in the Chrome moly family).

I think it would be a better match then just buying tool steel because it says "Tool Steel"

You usally get tool steel because you are going to use it for the hardness, and or edge toughness (cutting tools like dies, forming tools, etc.), and you heat treat it.

it would be a little less costly my guess (without pricing it)

Top Bottom