Why are pen kits so danged expensive? Alternatives?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that you get what you pay for, "bling" costs money, but it just seems to me that these kits should not cost as much as they do.

Anyone else feel this way?

What do you do personally to get around the high cost of pen kits?

Good quality goods come from Taiwan, better than China, but are there any from China that are both cheap and good?:cool:

Dan Hintz

Knowing how much it costs to manufacture something does not negate the money required to advertise, pack/ship, hold stock, etc. A plastic widget may hold two cents in plastic, but sells for $1... because someone has to use electricity to manufacture it, pay workers to pack them in boxes (pay for the boxes), ship them, stock them, and so on.

A $2 slimline seems like a pretty good deal to me when you consider all that goes into it from a Rockler/Woodcraft/PSI point of view... of course, it looks even better when I purchase it direct from the manufacturer for $1.20. A $50 kit seems pretty pricey, but you can't expect them to make the same $0.80 profit on a kit that costs 25 times as much, as inventory comes into play.

Personally? I look at the kit cost as a material cost and price my pens at a point where the materials are a small fraction of the price.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Goods are sold on the "Price the Market will Bear" I have always said if you think they are expensive try and make one. That will let you know their real worth. And not just pen kits.

Dan Masshardt

Not all kits are expensive. Some prices are really good. Slimline for $2. Cigar, trim, euro all around $5.

Like anything else, you can get kits that are expensive. You can get kits that are inexpensive.

You don't get the best of anything at the lowest price.

I realize that you get what you pay for, "bling" costs money, but it just seems to me that these kits should not cost as much as they do.

:cool:
What do you base that on? Kit prices range from less than $2.00 to over $200....which ones do you think cost too much?

Specifically I wish I could buy decent Cigar pen kits for the price of a Slimline, but maybe I'm asking too much? I guess its who ya know!:biggrin:

Wildman

Yes, some pen kits just too expensive for me to make for my market. I stopped making Slimline pens because neither my customers nor I can buy cross refills locally. I stopped making fountain pens because no buyers.

Only way to find out if pen kit too expensive is know your cost to make and market you cater too! Just like being in boy/girl scouts be prepared for what did not sell today will sell tomorrow!

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
Yes, some pen kits just too expensive for me to make for my market. I stopped making Slimline pens because neither my customers nor I can buy cross refills locally. I stopped making fountain pens because no buyers.

Only way to find out if pen kit too expensive is know your cost to make and market you cater too! Just like being in boy/girl scouts be prepared for what did not sell today will sell tomorrow!

Is there not a Office Depot, Office Max, or a office supply there. I see in yellow pages there is a Staples....

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

:cool:
What do you base that on? Kit prices range from less than $2.00 to over $200....which ones do you think cost too much?

Specifically I wish I could buy decent Cigar pen kits for the price of a Slimline, but maybe I'm asking too much? I guess its who ya know!:biggrin:
If you buy enough at one time you probably can. Buy 100 and you can get them for $3.17 each - 500 will get you below $3.00. That includes shipping which is 70% higher than the slimlines. The shipping is higher because they weigh twice as much as slimlines, which is also one reason they cost more.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am quite certain Constant (Lazerlinez) is no longer making Mark's (Marksman) pens-for over a year, at least. Mark has his own manufacturer.

OKLAHOMAN

Wrong, they split up their partnership on the made in the USA pens a little over a year ago but Mark still contracts Constance to manufacture his Marksman line of pens.

I am quite certain Constant (Lazerlinez) is no longer making Mark's (Marksman) pens-for over a year, at least. Mark has his own manufacturer.

fernhills

I have been exploring stick pens. But need to have to change the refill to make it worthwhile to the buyer. Even if you sell them for ten $$ whats the sense to the buyer if he has to throw them out when the ink is gone. Why throw good wood out. I am looking at a few styles that cost more then 11 cents, but under a buck that might work.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have been exploring stick pens. But need to have to change the refill to make it worthwhile to the buyer. Even if you sell them for ten $$ whats the sense to the buyer if he has to throw them out when the ink is gone. Why throw good wood out. I am looking at a few styles that cost more then 11 cents, but under a buck that might work.
That sounds like you're getting into the mass market arena. I'm not sure I'd go there but maybe it will work for you.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Wrong, they split up their partnership on the made in the USA pens a little over a year ago but Mark still contracts Constance to manufacture his Marksman line of pens.

I agree....I buy a little from both of them and neither has told me any different.

Dan Masshardt

I've never bought any cigar that I felt was poorly made. Others will disagree I'm sure but $5-$7 is a great price in my opinion.

If you think anything more than $2 is too much for a pen kit, I wouldn't know what to say to you because we are on two completely different wavelengths.

Now I wish I could get black titanium rollerball kits cheaper, but I understand why they cost as much as they do.

OOPS

Here are a few tips to save money on kit purchases. This may or may not be helpful to all, but these are points to consider.

1. Buy kits in chrome plating. Chrome plating is durable and is normally the cheapest price of the platings. When you buy wood and acrylic blanks, look for those that will look best on chrome rather than gold, Black Ti, etc. This reduces your inventory expenditures on both blanks and kits.

2. Get on the email lists from all the IAP vendors. They oftentimes have sales on a kit or two, or a certain plating, that allows you to save some money. I have also found that by looking at the Woodcraft website, they oftentimes have unadvertised specials on blanks. Their kits are normally pricy.

3. Most IAP vendors allow you to buy in larger quantities to save $$$ per kit. Some allow you to mix and match kits in order to obtain larger quantity discounts. Along these lines, if you are trying to economize, keep the number of pen styles you make to a minimum, or have some styles that you make only "custom." That way you don't have so much tied up in kits for pens that don't move readily. Also, SHOP AROUND! I have seen examples of kits, blanks, pen boxes, and most everything else sells at prices that deviate substantially from vendor to vendor. And the vendor who is the lowest in price this time may not be the lowest in two months, when you re-order.

These steps can help you save money. One more thing. I can sell a cigar pen for more than I can sell a Slimline. Over time, I will sell more of them too. Your market might be different, but in my case, paying an extra $3-$6 for the kit is of little concern when it sells faster and for more money.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

robutacion

Reading the comments so far, I didn't find anyone asking the most important question (in my view) and that is, reverse the OP question meaning and ask, what are the sale prices of the pens he wants to make with the kits he wants to buy a lot cheaper...???

I have to ask this because I wonder, what kit, sale price are we talking about here...???

I find many of the very cheap kits, couldn't be any better with the price one normally pays for, anything under $5.00 for a kit, can not possibly have quality materials, platings, cartrigdes, mechanisms, etc...!

Yes, I do make a few pens and I normally use middle of the range kits as I find them to offer the best value for the money and I don't want to waste my time and my blanks in $1.00 kits that will me make look bad, soon after the sale/order/gift/sample/donation, etc...!

All is "relative" in my view, if you want to sell $15.00 pens you certainly need to use those $2 kits, you aren't going to sell a $200 pen with one of those $2 kits in it, the person that is willing to spend $200 in a pen, know a little about pens or at least can recognise some quality in the pen, and that is normally a combination of 4 things, the kit, blank used, craftsmanship and finish.

Sure, you can put an exception blank on a $2 kit and sell that pen for $50 which in my view is a much better way to spend your time making pens, the difference between a very average pen blank and a quality one, can be less than $5 however, you spend the very same time making it and you efforts all all of a certain increased from $10 to $40 and that isn't something to ignore...!

The same principle goes for the use of a $2 kit and a $30, you put an very average pen blank on a $30 kit and you wont sell it for much more than if you had used a $2 kit however, you put a quality blank on a $30.00 kit and all of a certain your working efforts increases 400%, the only difference is that, on the previously example you had 400% increase also but based on a much smaller amount so, you can be spending the exact same time making a pen, regardless if is a $15 or a $200 pen however, you efforts increase from $10 to $150 +...!

Like I said, everything is relative, only you can make the decision of which way you want to go but remember this, the high prices marked on some kits are a direct result of the prices those pens are sold for, those selling those kits price them accordingly to the value that YOU have put on the pen sale.

Consider the prices the manufacturers are getting for their products, they are not as hight, percentage wise as the prices you and I have to pay for them so, its a simple demand and supply technique/principle that some vendors/stores take on far too advantageously...!

Stop buying those very expensive kits, what do you thing would happen...??? only one thing could happen, they had to come down in price and much more in tune with a fair profit system than what we see in our days so, we may have some responsibility in seen how some pen kits prices are sold in our days.

The vast majority of those making quality kitless pens today, are so due to all the facts I presented above, they got sick of it and went the other way, they created they own sale value based solely to their expertise at quality pen making...!

These are obviously, my thoughts...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Tom T

The thing I would like to see is a way to rank the plating so when we by a kit at what ever price. We can know ahead of time if it will hold up over time.
I would rather spend more to know I had a quality product.
That said I do not sell many pens. I give most away. But I have a day job so I can not make as many as I like.

edstreet

Few words of encouragement.

I have never seen a cigar kit that I felt was 'high quality'.

Topic being similar to my recent post about platting vs cost yields that likely all pen kits are over priced.

Even 'American made' is not a sign of quality, it is a sign of comradery only, don't confuse the two.

'quality' items can indeed come from area like china, if a company is willing to spend the resources needed to overcome the cultural barrier, train and educate the work force and directly oversee the quality control every step of the way.

Kits over $200? Where? Who? I would love to see some.

Last thing to add: It is quite a poor showing that there are 3-4 basic styles and everything is variations of those. Nothing 'new' has been introduced in a very very long time now and even 'new' products has been rehashed spin off clones of those 3-4 styles. Hate to say it but I have to give the industry an F for originality.

PenMan1

In two words, the reason pens prices have increased in price since 2008 is:
Petroleum prices.

Half the price of ALMOST every tangible product is shipping. Raw materials must be shipped to "refiners". Refiners ship their value afded products to manufacturers, etc., etc, etc. By the time that product gets to you (in the case of pen makers for hire-NOT EVEN the end user) shipping has been "tacked on" at least 6 or 7 times. EVEN IF each supplier in the chain COULD "hold the price line" on all other products, they STILL have no control over shipping.

Wanna get the price of pen parts down? The first step SHOULD BE to get fuel prices back to Pre 2009 prices. EVER SEEN THE PRICE OF SHIPPING DECREASE WHEN FUEL PRICES SHRINK? I haven't.

My only wish is that MORE suppliers would offer the Burger King "have it your way" approach, rather than the McDonald's "This is the way it comes approach". I NEVEF use standard refills, nibs, ink cartridges and many of the components that come in a standard "kit". If I didn't have to pay the shipping on ALL of those pieces I throw away (including MILLIONS of tiny, environmentally polluting, petroleum based, plastic baggies, JUST THINK of all of the fuel charges I saved!

(PenMan now slowly steps down from the soap box).

PenMan1

The only "tangible" product that I can think of that "bypasses" the above stated "shipping syndrome" is software products delivered electronically.

If my shipping theory is correct, EXPECT rapid advances in technology such as 3D printing, etc, because end users can then make at home many of the products they buy. These "homemade" products will be substantially cheaper simply by cutting the shipping process in half.

Wildman

OLDMAN5050, yes have both stores in my town and couple other office supplies stores none carry Cross refills! Stables and Office Max will special order them for you. Last time checked cost $6 to order two Cross refills. Found out could buy pack of two Parker refills at Wal Mart $2.98. That was over eight years ago.

I am aware can buy packs of cross refills cheaper from any pen kit vendor. Yes, several nice kits other than Slimlines use cross refills too.

Made a business decision, to make only kits that take Parker refills which has served me well.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
...!

Stop buying those very expensive kits, what do you thing would happen...??? only one thing could happen, they had to come down in price and much more in tune with a fair profit system than what we see in our days so, we may have some responsibility in seen how some pen kits prices are sold in our days.

:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George
Nothing could be farther from reality....reducing demand for a commodity might result in a temporary reduction in price while existing stocks are sold off but the end result could be just manufacturing smaller quantities (to meet the new demand) and raising the price or (if the selling point drops below the cost of production)ceasing manufacture the commodity at all hence removing it from the market.

Few of the manufacturers are chained to pen kits sold to pen makers. They also make many other products including producing parts for mass producers.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
In two words, the reason pens prices have increased in price since 2008 is:
Petroleum prices.

Half the price of ALMOST every tangible product is shipping. .

In some cases more. Buy 20 cigar pen kits in China and you will pay about $45 for the kits and $30 for shipping - buy 100 and you'll pay about $225 for the kits and about $90 shipping. If you buy from a USA Vendor the shipping from China is about $.50 per kit if he buys in quantity but then you need to pay shipping in the USA which can be another $.50 (10 kits shipped USPS small flat rate box is closer to $.60) or more depending on how many you buy.

I still say, try making your own designs and producing "Your" quaunties (sp). Then compare the cost. I think then we will appreciate the bargains we have. I'm sure, many would agree.

Mikie

I don't really mind the cost of the kits, there is a reasonably good range out there. Unfortunately I rarely purchase from USA vendors as shipping costs are astronomical for the smaller quantities I can purchase without incurring custom fees, handling fees and Tax @ 23%. We can only buy 22 euro worth including shipping costs ($30), we also incur a customs handling charge if we go above this amount. A few $40 dollar pens can cost as much as $100 each by the time they reach me.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I still say, try making your own designs and producing "Your" quaunties (sp). Then compare the cost. I think then we will appreciate the bargains we have. I'm sure, many would agree.
I also note with just a little awe, how willing IAP buyers are to cough up $4 to $15 (a lot more for certain special blanks) for pretty ordinary plastic blanks which when used will end up 90% or 95% in the trash can as shavings. The same buyers will sometimes lament paying $10.00 for a kit which they use 100% and nothing goes in the trash but the little baggies.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My only wish is that MORE suppliers would offer the Burger King "have it your way" approach, rather than the McDonald's "This is the way it comes approach". I NEVEF use standard refills, nibs, ink cartridges and many of the components that come in a standard "kit". If I didn't have to pay the shipping on ALL of those pieces I throw away (including MILLIONS of tiny, environmentally polluting, petroleum based, plastic baggies, JUST THINK of all of the fuel charges I saved!

(PenMan now slowly steps down from the soap box).
I know one who is more than willing to go that route, but the line of customers just isn't there.
Lots of folks don't use them either...but offering kits without them doesn't attract a lot of buyers.

I don't like those little baggies a lot myself, but I can't think of any other way to keep components from getting what we used to call in the coin business "bag marks". Even with them we get some that no doubt happen before the parts get bagged.

OKLAHOMAN

Ed, how much RESEARCH did you put into this statement:biggrin: you told me and the rest of the forum you always research your statements before making them here is your direct quote and to make sure all saw it you did it in red.
Sorry Roy, I ALWAYS do research before making a statement!!
Mark still uses Lazerlines and that's a fact....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom