What Are They Worth?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pocono Bill

Usually when I am making pens I go looking for the wood I want to use. At our woodturning club meeting last night a gentleman I didn't know (I was absent last month and I think he is new) asked me if I turned pens. When I said yes, he said he had some blanks he wanted to get rid of and he showed me five spalted maple and one maple burl blanks. I think he said that some of the spalted blanks had burl qualities.

I told him I would be interested but he didn't have an asking price and I had no clue what to offer him. He will bring them to next month's club meeting. I looked on-line today without success.

I am looking for suggestions on what to offer him or where I might look to get a price that would be fair to both of us.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Tough call, Maple in itself is not that High dollar a blank. I have burl blanks that I paid a dollar apiece. but that wouldnt include shipping. A lot depends on the looks of the blanks to you. How much spalting? Mineral stain? Have you checked back through the classified here, and also Ebay?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I try to keep any maple, spalted/burl to around a buck a blank as there is sooo much available. An exceptional piece, I might go more.

ersRFP

It really depends on how good it looks. Maple is everywhere. I've sold Maple burl blank from $1-$5. At $5 it had better be something really special and unique.

Can he email you a photo and maybe you could post it on IAP?

Top Bottom