Blue Jeans?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jon-wx5nco

All,
I have a question. I have been reading "Making A Leather Cigar Pen" by William O. Young (http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Leather_Cigar_pen.pdf). Needless to say, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."

Here is my question. Can the same thing be done with old blue jeans? Could you cut them into ¾" x ¾" squares, drill them, put them on the barrel, glue, and press / squeeze them until the glue was dry? How do you think it would look? Would it be worth my time to try (since there is ABSOLUTELY NOTING on TV)?

Just some random thoughts
Jon-wx5nco

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Blue Jean blanks have been around for a while.

couple options.

1) Use thin CA and glue and wrap a tube with a piece of blue Jean material until you get it thick enough to turn.

2) Cut some 3/4 x 5 inch pieces and glue a stack of them together with CA until it's 3/4 thick. drill and turn.

3) Cut some 3/4 square and glue up a stack 5 inches tall (or whatever length you need) and drill and turn.

you don't want to try drilling cloth and building a tube like leather. punch may be possible, but still the above methods would take less time.

Jon-wx5nco

Mike,
I think those steps will be MUCH easier than what I was thinking. Thank you for the help!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Could look a lot like this:

Probably a blank I purchased about 2005?? I had several.

Denim with thin CA "overcoat", sanded to 1000, then buffed with tripoli and white diamond.

Attachments

• denim.jpg
    denim.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Jon-wx5nco

Ed,
Thats kind of what I am looking for. I have a few pair of wranglers that have... well... become well "air conditioned", if you know what I mean. Instead of throwing them out, I'd like to do something with them. I think pens would be the perfect use for them. Thanks for showing me that picture. With that, Lin's and Mike's help, this is getting me on the right track
Jon

mick

Jon, I've never bought a denim blank but have made a lot lot Mike said, by wrapping narrow strips of denim around tubes until the are just above bushing thickness. Start at a slight angle and wrap down the tube and then back up until built up. Soak with thin CA every couple of layers and when turned it will yield interesting patterns.

Top Bottom