Panache- To buy or not to buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

I only have majestics in the rollerball category and was looking for something that might be a little less expensive. Always thought the Panache was very cool, but not sure if it is practical. All advice welcome. I think the large bottom might be a problem being just larger than my 3/4" barrel trimmer. It sure would look good with some m3 though!

Marshall

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I have made several of them and have a small run in process. They are a desk or drawer pen (too large for a purse pen according to my manager). They do allow some options for shaping, especially on the cap end. They show off both wood and acrylics well. Be sure to use a jumbo sized blank, but they are easy to do.

Two of this run are snakewood that has not cracked yet. I think the thicker pens tend to be less crack prone in ebony and snakewood.

These work well with stabalized blanks for out of ordinary looks - think of curly mango and the like.

This is a pen for drama -- and they are not one that people are universally attracted to. Plan high end.

Mapster

Thanks Ken. I thought they might be hard to make, but I guessed wrong. Do you know if they are or would be a good seller?

Mark

I've selected the Zen for my value priced RB. I've never tried a Panache. Might be something to look into. Enjoy..

Russianwolf

(too large for a purse pen according to my manager). .

My wife disagrees. Here's her Purse pen.

ExoticBlanks Bubblegum on a Platinum Panache.

Attachments

• jdj 002.JPG
    jdj 002.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 158
  • jdj 001.JPG
    jdj 001.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 102

KenV

Mike -- we obviously have different managers -- with different purse styles. That is why I cited the source --

I think your picture makes the point that this can be a dramatic pen that makes a statement.

This is not a strong demand pen --- but I have it as a high end- high value pen.

Plan on use of a disk sanding jig or similar for this pen as one end is too large for a normal 3/4 pen mill, and the other large end does better with disk sander than with a mill. Other than that, this is a simple pen or can involve as much decoration as you want.

Take a look at these by Ed Davidson "YoYoSpin" for some ideas on shape opportunities

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=4671

mick

They sell well for me ...if I keep quite a few on display. I try to keep 8-12 when we're doing shows. I get down to 2-3 and it seems they aren't noticed, but then I've noticed the same about anything when you get down to just a couple.
Another thing I do is make the cap diameter the same as the base. This seems to give it more balance. IMO turning bushing to bushing leaves the cap looking out of proportion. YMMV

I've made only 3 of the Panache... they are good looking pens, but didn't move well for me... I carried the 3 I made for several months before they finally did sell... personally, I don't think I'll do any more.

Haven't tried the Zen yet, but like the looks of it it... maybe this fall.

Top Bottom