One hell of a pen blank...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I just had to show you a sample that I turned today from some wood that I got just before Christmas last year and that I processed and put to day and that just now is getting ready to be used.

Now, there is no man made fillings, repairs or the wood tempered with, this was just one blanks that caught my eye and that I decided to make a sample of.

I only wish that, every single blank from that wood, was like this one, we all know that is just not possible however, the small tree that produced THIS blank, has produced a "few" more spectacular blanks.

Apart from all the "images" that appear on the wood and that "chunk" that seemed to have been cut off and replaced with another bit of wood, the 2 main things that brought my attention originally, was the number of brown colour shades on it and the second one is the colour, texture and adjoining suave lines between the light and darker colours, there is a word for it but, I just can't thing of what it is...!

What do you think...!

PS: No, is not available, "it may" be at later date, and I'm even considering to send someone 7 or 8 of them free of charge, if someone can work out the name of this wood/tree...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 689
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 588
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 579
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 377
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 554

healeydays

I haven't got a clue, but that looks outstanding. I'm guessing it's a root section of something. Can wait to see you turn it on a pen.

turncrazy43

That is some awesome wood George. Can't wait to see it after you have turned it and to find out what it is.

Tim'sTurnings

Very beautiful looking blank. I would guess that it might be Olivewood? It looks similar to the olivewood root you had the guessing game about.
Tim.

Janster

.....I am thinking, either stringybark or sheoak? Whatever it is it looks great!. Be well.............Jan

robutacion

Thanks guys and gals...!

The tree species is in fact a "famous" fruit producer in Australia, I'm not sure about other countries...!

No, is not part of the root, is in fact from the main trunk of the old tree...!

As for the "Iwantit tree" I would like to know what the Google search said about it, as this is one of the most common tree/wood species from all over the world, so much so that, "fiik" and "youain'tgotachance" subspecies were created as a result...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

They are other "variants" also...!:)

I may use this blank to turn a pen for the tree owner but, I already gave him a few pens from other tree species that I removed from his property so, I may turn something else for him (bowl, platter, vase, not sure yet, oh I know... a jewellery box for the wife, I haven't done one of those for him, yet...!:biggrin:

Maybe one of you endup with this exact blank so that it can made into a pen, "maybe", I will thing about it...!:smile-big:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Good guesses but all incorrect, sorry...!

OK, this type of fruit tree species has many fruit name varieties/species, each one with its unique shape, colouration and taste. Can be used for juice making but, not the most typical for that however, its used in many culinary recipes.

So, I'm looking for the correct name of this fruit variety...!:wink::)

If no one gets it, the box is going no where...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

DSurette

My thoughts are that it is tamarind. It looks lighter than some tamarind that I have seen but the crazy grain looks like it.

plantman

If it's a fruit tree, My first guess would be Black Sapote ( The chocolate pudding tree ), otherwise from the looks of the wood, Yellow gum or Desert Rare Root Burl. Hard to tell from this far away. Beautiful blanks George!!! Jim S

marksman

It's gotta be a mango tree, either the Choco or the Haden variety. The colour and definition gives it away. Who am I foolin??? I have no idea. Awesome looking blank though!!!

Woodkiller

Ill take olive for $1000 Alex. They come in different sizes, my store carries them in small, medium, large, & colossal. Also black, green, & green with red middles. My kids drink the juice, but most people don't. :) that about fits the description and clues you left.

I'm way to new to this to make an educated guess. Whatever it is, it is simply amazing and whomever gets it will be very fortunate.

robutacion

Black Sapote or a form of Apple?

You are getting close, OK so is an Apple tree variety, which one...???

I can say that, in the old days when these trees were planted (about 40 to 50 years ago, and that's a very long time for any fruit tree...!) these Apple variety were the most used for making the Apple pie, and some gem from, that would last right to the next fruiting season, in those days and in semi-rural areas, some fruits were preserved for later use...!

Now, what is this Apple tree variety's name...???

Cheers
George

robutacion

Ill take olive for $1000 Alex. They come in different sizes, my store carries them in small, medium, large, & colossal. Also black, green, & green with red middles. My kids drink the juice, but most people don't. :) that about fits the description and clues you left.

I'm way to new to this to make an educated guess. Whatever it is, it is simply amazing and whomever gets it will be very fortunate.

Well, for $1,000 bucks, you could get lots of Olive wood or Olive oil but, that ain't much help to you here, as I already confirmed what these fruit tree produces so, give it another guess, your changes are as real and anyone else's...!

Good luck.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom