Need tips on squaring the edges.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe Burns

Ive been using a barrel trimmer to trim the edge of the banks I put on the lathe. I dont have a disc sander available that I could use for this.

I have a set of JohnU feather blanks and am nervous about trimming the edges for turning. For those who have turned these awesome blanks what would you suggest. A sander is out as long as I'm unemployed. I do have one of the finishing mills for the lathe to trim the edges after applying a CA finish.

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PLEASE view "How-to #6" on this page

Articles & Videos

I started using this method, BECAUSE of ruining blanks with the pen mill. I like the results of this method and I have had NO tragedies since starting this!!!
YMMV

Last edited:

alamocdc

My tip is similar to Ed's video. Turn the cutter around so that the flat is facing opposite the drill chuck. I still use my drill press for this but a hand drill will work as well. I actually cut circles in adhesive backed 80 or 100 grit sandpaper and a cheap hole punch for the hole that shaft will go through. I hope that makes sense.

navycop

My tip is similar to Ed's video. Turn the cutter around so that the flat is facing opposite the drill chuck. I still use my drill press for this but a hand drill will work as well. I actually cut circles in adhesive backed 80 or 100 grit sandpaper and a cheap hole punch for the hole that shaft will go through. I hope that makes sense.

What RPM do you run the drillpress?

edstreet

He said in the video about 3,000 rpm.

If you are cutting on a band-saw then you should be able to square that up when you cut the end and all you will need is a very light pass on a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface. Rarely now do I use the end trimmers.

Oh and you will also need to ensure the entry cut is exactly 90 degree's from the drill bit. Measure with the tail stock and leave the other end with the very slight excess.

Last edited:

beck3906

I'm busy in the shop this afternoon but I can take a few minutes to help you square your blanks if you want to come to Belton . PM sent with cell number.

Last edited:

LL Woodworks

Using a piece of 1/4" all thread, scrap wood and sand paper - I made this blank squaring jig. I also bought a set of punches from HF for next to nothin. I have just about every size mandrel for every blank. A collet chuck holdsthe sanding head and a Jacobs chuck holds the appropriate size mandrel. They are square every time. I also use it to lightky sand after a CA application to remove excess CA.

Good Luck

Attachments

• tn_DSCN0498.JPG
    tn_DSCN0498.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 246
  • tn_DSCN0499.JPG
    tn_DSCN0499.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 253
  • tn_DSCN0501.JPG
    tn_DSCN0501.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 207
  • tn_DSCN0503.JPG
    tn_DSCN0503.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 174

Lenny

When all else looks like it could fail, I do what Lynn suggested. You don't need to have a collet chuck ... A faceplate with adhesive backed sandpaper will work.
The punch set is an essential tool for any Penturner ... At least if you make mistakes like I do. :biggrin::)

alamocdc

What RPM do you run the drillpress?

I just checked my drill press and I have it set at 350. I pretty much use this speed for everything because I only remember changing the speed once for a special project.

JohnU

Hey Joe, put the worries out of your mind And jump in and give it a try. If it doesn't work out for you let me know and I'll replace the blank. This way you have nothing to lose but a little time. Have fun with it.

JohnU

Also, I use a barrel trimmer on all of my feather blanks when I turn them. Never had a problem as long as they are clean.

Joe Burns

John,

I appreciate it. I definitely will give it a try. I wasn't sure I could use a barrel trimmer on clear polyresin.

Joe

PLEASE view "How-to #6" on this page

Articles & Videos

I started using this method, BECAUSE of ruining blanks with the pen mill. I like the results of this method and I have had NO tragedies since starting this!!!
YMMV

What is the flat thingie in the drill where the end blanks rests? Is the sandpaper glued to that part? I am looking for a better method to square my blanks. I feel that is an area where I have been slacking.

TIA

bluesguitar

I love the idea of lathe-based squaring using sized punches in a drill chuck in the tailstock and a faceplate with adhesive backed sandpaper.

Just curious, what grit sandpaper would be best?

Mitch

PenPal

Amazing to me is Dremel in this country discontinued their small round disks of sandpaper and they were sold in small plastic tubes. One night at our Woodcraft Guild a large number of these appeared so I now have a long time supply of ideal facing material sandpaper using a reversed metal penmill and a 1/4 inch hole punch.

There may be old stocks all around your country with Dremel agents?

If not two hole punches, a reversed metal penmill and rubber glue.

Or your own home made whatever and the penmill etc.

If you get the penmill kit it will cover all pen making reversed with the sleeves.

Happy pen making.

Kind regards Peter.

MobilMan

I cut 5/8 squares out of sticky backed paper--use hole punch close to center--slide that on my mandrel against the MT end and sand away
Put you're blank back on like you took it off [if spacered use them] No use buying something similar or tinkering with the trimmer. Sand before turning and after applying finish for best results

Top Bottom