Mechanism problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I recently purchaced some slimline pen kits and mechanism and have had numerous problems with some of the mechanisms. When I press them into the pens, they break and insted of only turning a certain distance and stopping, they turn freely and do not work properly. I have tried sanding down the tips of them but it still happens. Is this problem the manufacturers fault or my own? I have ordered these mechanisms and pen kits from the same company for years and have never had as much trouble as I have had in the last few weeks. Does anybody have any tips on how to stop this?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Have you contacted your source company yet? They may be aware of a problem and be able to correct it quickly.

johnnycnc

I concur with Mark. Contact your source and see what they have to say.
You don't list the vendor, and that is touchy sometimes.., so nobody really
knows if they got some from where you did.
I'd get with the vendor first, and let them know something has changed and it isn't you!:biggrin:

I'll be sure to let them know. The reason I havent yet is because most of my problems occured last night and this morning and I've been busy all day.

johnnycnc

That's a bummer when it's the weekend, and nobody is there at the bigger places..hope you get the issue resolved.
i use to make several slimlines and liked and had the best luck with the good ones from CSUSA, and a strong second with the good ones from PSI. Since the influx of less expensive china made kits, seems like more problems with slims have occured and been posted. CSUSA and their apprentice line, PSI and their funline..they are just not the same consistent smooth components.
I micrometered some ?chinese made? out from a gent on the boards, who had fits with the same basic problem you are having and the tranny press sizes were all over the map. lack of tolerancing and or quality control..?
And who knows..your vendor may have had the "same thing" sourced from a different factory. it happens. the thing you do is make it clear to them you have a problem, and so do they.

My vendor orders it's supplies from PSI and the slimlines I order look like PSI's funline slimlines but I do not know if they are the same because they have a wider variety of finishes. I mostly order them because I like the clip that is on them better then the PSI standard black and gold clip.

I just sent my vender a email so they sould be informed of the problem very soon.

Drstrangefart

Dad had some of those Funlines, and he got into the habit of putting a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil in the threads of the transmission, and that seems to totally fix the rough movement on the transmissions.

hewunch

Two thoughts
1. you have glue in your tube from gluing the tube to the blank
2. The tube is nominally too small. Both of these can be remedied with a 1/4" drill bit. You can hand twist if if you like, or put it in the drill and advance it very slowly (and go slow on the drill speed too).

Also, I put the transmission in the up position and sometimes it helps to turn the pen as you push in the transmission as it is easy to put too much pressure on one side.

Moosewatcher

I just sold a batch of 40 pens about 30 of which were the Funline slims. Before I boxed them I tested each pen to make sure the refill wrote and the transmission worked properly. I had 5 failures in which they either didn't turn freely, would not extact the refill, or turned too hard and broke. I had to replace them with spares I bought. I routinely check each pen after I assemble it, so something happened to these pens just from setting. Won't be using any more. Not good for the reputation.

Ken

PenMan1

Before you do anything else, go to Wal-Mart and buy a .22 rifle bore brush. Put the brush in your power drill and shine the inside of the tube until it looks like the "head" in a Marine Corps barracks.

Then check your press. After you have cleaned the tube with the rifle brush, try pressing the next one with an Irwin Kwik Clamp.

The transmission is the most durable of even the cheapest of the cheap sets. If you are bending trannies, you either have dirty tubes (try putting PlayDough, plumbers putty, dental base wax, a potato, an onion, even bread) in the tube before you glue.

The other issue could be the pen press. I bought one of the bastard presses (Grizzly, I don't usually call names, but this press was 1 1/4 inches from where it started and where it ended).

The trannies may not turn (usually the problem with the cheap ones) BUT, I've never had one that didn't fit the hole (easily checked when you "lay out and dry fit your components).

Respectfully submitted.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Manual

I recently purchaced some slimline pen kits and mechanism and have had numerous problems with some of the mechanisms. When I press them into the pens, they break and insted of only turning a certain distance and stopping, they turn freely and do not work properly. I have tried sanding down the tips of them but it still happens. Is this problem the manufacturers fault or my own? I have ordered these mechanisms and pen kits from the same company for years and have never had as much trouble as I have had in the last few weeks. Does anybody have any tips on how to stop this?

Thanks

I recommend that transmissions be tried before being pressed in. I insert the bronze end finger tight into a spare tube and turn it making sure it operates correctly. After having done that I've never had one fail after being installed. Also, as a seller if any of my customers find a bad one, I will replace it. It is possible that you got a bad batch.

soligen

My vendor orders it's supplies from PSI and the slimlines I order look like PSI's funline slimlines but I do not know if they are the same because they have a wider variety of finishes. I mostly order them because I like the clip that is on them better then the PSI standard black and gold clip.

I just sent my vender a email so they sould be informed of the problem very soon.

I 've had some problems with the Funline transmissions turning very freely with a very weak lock. These were purchased about 6 months ago.

Top Bottom