closed end pen???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

If I were to make a closed end pen what would be a good kit to use with it??? It would have to be a twist kit I assume???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rick_lindsey

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of closed-end pens that were rollerball and/or fountain pens. You just can't post the cap in those cases. A closed-end click pen might be tough, but I bet someone could find a way :).

-Rick

jttheclockman

I do not want to take the cap off. I am thinking a slimline or a cigar kit would work or am I thinking wrong??? That has happened once.

Rudy Vey

JT, I have only made capped pens, i.e. rollerballs or fountain pens as closed end pens. Made my own pin chucks. For some years now, I always made a special closed end pen for the PITH based on the El Grande.

Russianwolf

Slims are easy.

1) drill hole without going all the way through.
2) glue the tube in
3) use a jamb chuck (in a jacob's chuch or scroll chuck) to turn it and calipers to size the open end.

Not too tricky

Cigars and sierras can be done too, but you have to make sure that whats grabbing the tranny is taken into consideration.

what engages the tranny isn't the tube in either, but a part of the finial. On the Cigar this piece can be pressed into the tube without modification, not sure about the Sierra. But since both use the same tranny size, a cigar finial could be used to activate a closed end Sierra. You just have to make sure you get the depth right when you press it in.

Yo-Yo Spin (Ed) has made some closed end Cigars and they are in his photos I believe.

Heres one of my single body closed end slims

Attachments

• Purpleheart Closedend.jpg
    Purpleheart Closedend.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 200

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There isn't a pen kit made that can't be closed on both ends with some planning and ingenuity. Some just take a lot more of both.

The SlimLine is more difficult than most because it has to have a hole in one end for the ink tip, and the clip has to be cut and bent so it will fit into a slot in the cap. It would be easier if the clip were not used.

The photo on the left is a SlimLine that is closed on both ends.

I have also atached a photo of the Americana with a closed-end cap. This kit is like the cigar and others that have the transmission attached to the cap. These are not easy pens to modify. I make these pens by drilling the hole and finishing the pen without the brass tube. The brass tube and its attachments are inserted after the pen is finished. That and some epoxy glue is what holds the clip against the bottom of the hole in the cap.

I eliminate as much of the plastic at the tip as possible, but these tips are just too big to be enclosed without the pen becoming too large to be useable. It is possible to eliminate all of the metal fittings at the tip in a plastic pen, but wood isn't strong enough to do that.

Attachments

• DSC00163.jpg
    DSC00163.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

jttheclockman

My bad!!! I should have mentioned that it will be closed on both ends. Did not know that terminology. Something similar to what Russ showed on the left picture. I do not want the barrels to overlap one another though. I want to use a center band. Does this now narrow my kit choices down???

ldb2000

John , if you make it closed at both ends then you have a cap pen , like a baron or a gent or .... . Are you trying to make the nib assy out of wood , is that what you mean by closed at both ends ?

jttheclockman

I will be making the nib out of wood but won't look like a normal nib. Just a flat bottom with the refill protruding through by twisting the two halves.

Top Bottom