Closed end mandrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

I would like to try a closed end pen based on the CSUSA Jr. Gent II. Where can I get a mandrel to accomplish this or is there an easier way to do this? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

You don't need a special mandrel. You can use a standard mandrel and bushings. Take a look at the two articles I wrote about making closed end pens. They can be found at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles . You may find that you can spend the $$$ for those mandrels on more pen kits.

One of the articles addresses several ways to hold the pen blank for closed end pens and they can be made in your shop. One can be purchased at the local hardware store.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I would like to try a closed end pen based on the CSUSA Jr. Gent II. Where can I get a mandrel to accomplish this or is there an easier way to do this? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

John

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Pjn chucks work great and you can make them yourself if you can find the correct size steel rod or have access to a metal lathe.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I just made a simple pin chuck for my metal pens so that I can face off the ends instead of using a pen mill. I used someones suggestion about using the knockout punches we get from HF. They were on sale and had a 20% coupon too. Found the right size and used the grinder to grind a flat spot and used a nail as the pin and they work great. Just trying to decide how I want to finish my aluminum pen, if I want to leave satin or highly polished. I think the first one I will leave satin.

ldb2000

You can also use a "Jam chuck" like I do . I use some Beach wood (because I had a ton of it) . Just chuck up a piece and turn a pin the length you need and make it a tight fit in to your tube . as long as you don't change the position of the jam chuck in your Collet or 4 jaw chuck you can be sure that it will be perfectly centered when you turn your closed end . You should use your tail stock till you have turned the profile and then just remove the tail stock and clean up the end . When your done just throw away the jam chuck or mark the location it was in your chuck and you can reuse them several times .

Top Bottom