Indexing info

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe L

I originally bought an MK#1 lathe a few months ago and started turning pens. Found out, like others, it had limited options ... I'd like to think I've "outgrown it":wink:

My JET 1014 VSI arrived a couple of days ago. I found the indexing option... but the manual is extremely vague on its use. More to the point, I need some specific help. The little I have been able to find out is that I need a router and some sort of jig to make it work. Yep, that's vague:frown:

I did receive info on an indexing wheel from Alisam Engineering... according to them it fits the JET 1014 VSI... but just having the indexing wheel is like having a tool without the faintest idea what it is used for or how to use it.:frown:

Any help pointing me to places that sell the guide jig and recommendations on the router would be appreciated.

I definitely need some instructions... video would be great... but thus far I haven't found anything.

-joe L

KenV

I have the index wheel from indexing wheel from Alisam Engineering on the Jet 1014 that is stored in AZ. I use it to divide circles and then to drill holes. Not the only way, but works. The Alisam uses a small aluminim plate that uses existing holes in the headstock behind the spindle. Index wheel goes on shaft, and a steel pen threads into the plate to engage the holes in either of two rings of holes. I am not sure how I would use it with a router, but it works nicely with pencils to mark radial lines with precision. Must have taken a whole 10 minutes to install and begin using it to make round bases for pine needle baskets.

There are several "roll your own" version -- also for sizes up to 1 page of paper, I use the free program gpaper to make polar graph paper with the number of segments desired and print then glue.

Joe L

Indexing....

Thanks John T.... it is a good start. Enough to start me thinking...still have a lot of research to do.

Hey Alaska guy.... I need YOU back in AZ. I am currently in AZ!:)

-joe L

Top Bottom