closed end disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Has anyone discovered a way to remove the nib coupler from a closed end pen body (Jr2) ? I would like to refinish the pen and need a way to chuck it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I like Chris' idea. You could also use the right size punch in a Jacobs chuck and tape as well or if you happened to have the right size tap make a mandrel for it to screw onto I think? No idea what the tap size is though. I want to say Skiprat has a closed end disassembly article in the library but not sure.

Let us know what ends up working as I'm sure it will come up down the road.

Joey-Nieves

Use a long bolt or something with a lip that will fit in the pen, the tighter the better, grab the coupler by the rim and patiently tap it out.
Or
If you have an extra coupler, force in a bolt and pull it out like an extracter

corgicoupe

Since you only need to chuck it for finishing, the stresses should be small. So you might be able to press fit a dowel into the coupler and hold in a Jacobs drill chuck. I have done this with a press fit into the brass tube. You may need to stabilize the free end with a piece of soft wood or thick rubber at the tailstock.

plano_harry

It worked! My device is not as fancy as skiprat's but it got the job done! Turned down the head on a 3 inch 1/4-20, and slit with my bandsaw used a Jr2 cap tube, washer and hex nut. Easy to grip the bolt with vice-grips while turning the nut, coupling pulled right out without harming the threads.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, and especially to firewhatfire for finding skiprat's cool tool!

Attachments

• Coupling Puller.JPG
    Coupling Puller.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 129

BradG

Why do we split the end of the bolt like that? is it so the claws in effect, can be spread out manually a little?

plano_harry

Why do we split the end of the bolt like that? is it so the claws in effect, can be spread out manually a little?

Since it is a closed end pen the puller has to compress to fit through the coupler then spring back out to grab the back edge of the coupler. Then the threaded bolt pulls while the tube pushes against the coupler trim ring. I hope that makes sense.

SteveG

This is funny(or sad)...I actually made one of those pullers back when the rat first introduced his concept. The next thing I did, after using it, was to put it in a little zip-bag and hang it on the board above my bench. The NEXT thing I did was forget that I ever made it! So as I was looking over this thread and the library article, something stirred in my (failing) brain. Only then did I realize that the nice little tool ("Closed End Pen Repair Thingy" as named by Skiprat) is hanging there, ready for use. :rolleyes:

I wonder what else I have, that I do not know that I have? :eek::cool:

Top Bottom