Cigar Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMckin5324

:confused: I have whats probably a really dumb question. but I'll toss it out anyway. The first times I saw a Cigar Pen I didn't like the look of it at all and even thought it looked kinda out there all fat and stuff. Then I made one and I fell in love with the feel of it and now really like look of them. It truth I like them so much that when I made my next Cigar I used a caliper to get the same dimensions.
So the silly question I have seen a few different styles and designs some Fat & rounded others straight like a capped pen so I'm wondering if there is some direction for certain models or if its all just personal preference.
Like I said..........kinda a dumb Question.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomS

There are no set rules for the shape of a pen. As long as you match up the ends with the bushings, the "fatness" is your choice. As long as you like the look and feel, then the pen is correct.
Tom

Hubert H

Personal preference. I don't care for the really fat pens, however, there are people who really like them and think pens that are not fat look cheap. Isn't it nice we can have different likes and dislikes and still enjoy the same hobby.

studioso

Agree with above.
Although I find that most turners start off with very rounded blanks, and with intricate and fancy shapes. As they gain experience they stick to more straight cuts, or try to match the taper of the adjacent component. They also realize that too rounded or too thick gets on the way of comfort.
Of course, when I say they, I usually mean myself

toddlajoie

I mostly agree with the above, but will say that I often dislike flat tapers and prefer a very modest "bulge". It also depends a bit on the kits. Slims and Euros look fine with strait flat or tapered barrels, but when I see a Sierra with a strait barrel it just doesn't look right. Too much of a bulge looks wrong too. IMO what happens between the bushings should fuse the transitions that the kit parts start...

Cigars look great to me with a bit of a bow to them, but I don't really dislike strait like I do with the Sierras. Capped kits can go either way for me. I like the look and feel of a bit of a curve, but strait barrels can have a very classy look, and with complex segmenting, strait barrels, to me at least, increase the impression of the precision involved.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Usually newer turners use a lot of "cool" profiles, etc.

When I started, I too did "tool work" on my pens. People bought them. Later they came back and bought again. But nearly always they said, "I really LIKE the look of the pen I bought from you---but can you make me one that is a more "normal" shape? Easier to write with?

That is why we make mostly straighter pens, as we sell more.

Oh, except a fat cigar pen can be very comfortable to persons with arthritis. They can't easily squeeze a pen barrel, so extra size makes it easier for them to write.

azamiryou

I'm wondering if there is some direction for certain models or if its all just personal preference.

It's all about what the turner likes and can do. Try different things, look at photos. There's no "standard", although some pens and shapes seem to go naturally together.

One "rule of thumb" I've heard is that you almost always want a slight bulge (convex curve). On the other hand, I did a Navigator in maple with a concave curve on both the cap and the lower barrel and I loved it! (I gotta do another one of those.)

toddlajoie

I did a Navigator in maple with a concave curve on both the cap and the lower barrel and I loved it! (I gotta do another one of those.)

Just how "concave" are we talking about? I'd love to see a shot of it... Here's my misguided idea:
The%20Skinny%2001w.jpg

The%20Skinny%2002w.jpg

azamiryou

Just how "concave" are we talking about? I'd love to see a shot of it... Here's my misguided idea:

Strange - reading the IAP on line, I don't see any photos or links or anything (although apparently "greggas" did). There were links in the e-mail notification I got, but when I follow them, I get "Internal Server Error". So I can't see your pen. :frown:

As for mine, there's not much wood there so it's obviously not too far from flat. I don't have a photo of the pen by itself, but here it is cropped from a group shot.

Attachments

• concave.jpg
    concave.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom