Bushing Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

There is lots of advice on turning using a caliper rather than relying on bushings. I'm beginning to learn that. A couple of my pens were not really a tight fit. A little slop over the nib or on the center band. I like the idea of using bushings because it quickly lets me know when I am getting close to the right diameter. Checking some bushings it is obvious they are not always the size that the kit components are even if purchased from the same mfg. I have one set of bushings that looked as if some beaver had chewed them out. Very sloppy machining, very rough. Also the two bushings were not the same size. They were as much as .003 off from each other. I think from now on I can rely on a caliper or turn my own bushings which I did for the worst offenders. It is too much hassle to send them in for a replacement and if I purchase them in town the dealer is a 25 minute ride if the traffic on the interstate is good. The time and fuel is not worth the effort. In no way am I blaming a vendor or supplier. It's just the way it is. I always tend to make a mistake in judgement when eyballing something. Whether it is machining metal or turning a pen. Haste makes waste. The bushings keep me from eyeballing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I think you just learned what most of us know. The current example for me is a Tetra stylus...really cool pen...bushings suck ditch water so they are on hold. As discussed hundreds of times...you can use "production" bushings BTC and have a moderate improvement...but they still suck.

Dan Masshardt

Fwiw, I've found the tbc bushings (NOT the factory bushings) to be accurate and reliable. If I want to be confident that the fit is perfect I'll measure the bushings and the components before turning.

Unless I'm making a kit that I don't have the right bushings for I never ever use calipers during turning. I just use excellent bushings and have no problems at all.

Just to give another take...

JTisher

Unless you make a set of bushings for every single kit, not just style, bushings will only get you so close due to tolerance. IMHO they just make a lot of wasted time and effort.

Joe

kovalcik

IMO, turning with accurate bushings is by far the easiest way to go. You can use calipers, but you end up with a lot of start-stop-measure-repeat. I prefer the ones that can be used to TBC or with with a mandrel.

Deadhead

Two other options which I do. One; if available but a cheaper kit and turn down each component so it slides into the tube and once you get close to the bushings, put the blank itself between centers and check for fit using the turned down components. Second if you have quality bushings do the same as using turned down components.

Rockytime

I guess I can just make bushings from 12L14 steel. I can turn more accurately and easily on a metal lathe. It is just as easy to measure the kit and make the bushings accordingly. I have been storing my bushings in one of those multi compartment plastic boxes. I make a small label for the bottom of each compartment with the pen name, vendor, and bushing specs. machining is my other hobby so making bushings just adds to the fun. I appreciate all the responses.

Top Bottom