Bethlehem Olive Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jptruett

I've been away for a while. Working 5-10s and driving 1 1/2 hours to and from the job doesn't give me much time to turn nor to read the forum!

My question is this, I have some BOW that is beautiful, but when I use my pen mill to square the ends the mill tears chunks out and makes the blank useless. Is there a better way of squaring the ends? I thought of my belt sander, but my drilling jig doesn't always let me drill correctly - being off center some. Sure could use some advice!![V]

Jerry T

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sfolivier

Weird, I didn't know BOW had this problem and never saw it myself either.

Is it time to sharpen your mill? Use your pen mill slowly by hand or using a hand power drill? Dribble thin CA on the ends? Last but not least, you need a rig that goes in the tube to use your sander. The 90 angles doesn't need to be with the sides of the blanks, it needs to be with the hole. Something like this:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pksquare.html

See how the rod is used to orient the blank as opposed to the side of a 90 degrees miter fence?

Rifleman1776

What Stan said makes a lot of sense. BOW is a fine, tight grained wood and tear-out is about the last thing that should happen with it. I do a fair amount of pen made with BOW and have never had a problem similar to this. In fact, most will say it is one of the nicest woods to work with and turn. Methinks the problem lies with tools and technique more than the type of wood.

jptruett

Thanks for the info. The jig at PSI looks interesting. I will probably invest in it and see what happens. How do you sharpen a pen mill? Do you use a file, hone, or what?

Jerry T

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jptruett

Thanks for the info. The jig at PSI looks interesting. I will probably invest in it and see what happens. How do you sharpen a pen mill? Do you use a file, hone, or what?

Jerry T

Most will say to have the pen mill professionally sharpened. Someone here does it, I forget who. I'm sure someone will chime in with that info. I have been sharpening mine with a diamond hone but believe it is time for he-whose-name-I-have-forgotten to sharpen it.

Sfolivier

Jim15

I believe the gentleman that sharpens pen mills is PaulOKC. I have had some done by him and he does a great job. Do a search for him under Member Tools.

cbonner

Remember, your pen mill is basically four blades (plane/ chisel etc...) attached to one another. As such, many of the same principles apply, but with the addition of the four blades needing to be of equal. We also need to recognize the difference between sharpening and honing (cutlery folks are keen on this difference).
Sharpening is the cutting/ grinding of two intersecting surfaces to a point. Honing is orienting the point in a consistent manner. I learned quite a bit about this in watching one of Alton Brown's TV shows wherein he was discussing cutlery.

I must admit to having tried this method, but you can not sharpen a pen mill by rotating them against a flat surface. Think in terms of sharpening a plane blade by turning it perpindicular to the stone and rubbing the edge against the stone. When we do this with a pen mill, we are left rubbing a flat surface against the wood we are trying to cut. If it were done with an extremely light touch and on a very fine medium, it might cause a honing action (aligning the cutting edge). After thinking it through a bit, I will not use this method in the future.

As for grinding/ cutting the vertical surface of the mill, I think the primary value of this is honing (realigning the cutting edge). After continued use the cutting edge would likely be pushed down and this would push it back. However, one could eventually sharpen with this method, it would just take time. I think this is equivilant to sharpening a chisel or plane blade by continuously rubbing the back of the blade until it reaches the perfect intersect with the face of the blade. I will be giving this a go in terms of the honing benifit.

As for true sharpening, its just gotta be done like Paul in OKC, or the other guys were doing it with the small grinding wheels, backcutting the face of the blades. They are creating the true edge and are controlling the height of each blade.

I need to rig something like they did, cause I just keep buying new mills. Their method probably gets them sharper than when new!

Sfolivier

"I must admit to having tried this method, but you can not sharpen a pen mill by rotating them against a flat surface."

I'm not sure I understand the analogy with plan blades. In this case a 90 degree cutting angle seems fine (at least it works on my mill that has gone through the process twice already).

GoodTurns

Originally posted by jptruett

Jerry T

Save your money and get on Paul's list...the PSI one won't last like his...if you can't wait. Woodcraft had a better on (not their cheap one! get the clamping one.)

Randy_

Originally posted by Sfolivier

Oh yeah, another method is to mount it upside down on your press drill and sharpen it against a very flat piece of sand paper.

Craig is correct in saying the above method should not be used. It may work once or twice if you have a very light touch; but eventually the relief angle behind the cutting edge will be lost and the mill will quit cutting. This has been pretty well discussed in other threads and there really isn't much disagreement on the subject.

There is an article in the IAP library discussing one way to sharpen a pen mill/barrel trimmer. Check out the library index.

randyrls

Originally posted by cbonner

I need to rig something like they did, cause I just keep buying new mills. Their method probably gets them sharper than when new!

Craig; I saw a simple jig to sharpen/hone pen mills some time ago. You need sandpaper attached to a wood plate. A credit card diamond hone could also be used. Drill a snug fitting hole at a slight (4-5 degree) angle in a wood runner. Now insert the mill into the runner and rub the runner against the underside of the sandpaper plate. The mill edge goes against the sandpaper and the runner keeps it at a consistent angle

I use a sanding jig instead of the pen mill because the mill tends to tear out burls and sometimes cracks acrylics... :(

Fine Engineer

I have a barrel trimmer, but have stopped using it because of so many stories of them tearing up a blank (it also seemed kind of rough on the brass tubes). I have been using my disc / belt sander to square up and trim the blanks, and it has been working beautifully. Just use the miter square that comes with the disc sander (or in my case I just use a machinist square) and the disc makes short work of the material being trimmed. Quick, easy, and no issues with tear-out or otherwise damaging the blank. I just turned two pens using BOW this weekend and they both machined very nicely.
1220210637_HDR.jpg

Just my $0.02 worth.

Jeff

Top Bottom