Hole filling material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

I purchased some blanks from Stadium Blanks and one of them was from wooden stadium seats. The seats are bolted to the seat frames. Because of the pens I was wanting to use I could not totally avoid the bolt holes. I drilled the blanks and glues in the tubes. I have one bolt hole that the tube runs through on one side. I need to fill the bolt hole and have it form around the tube. Once I turn the blank the side of the hole will probably show through the side. I want something opaque so the tube cannot be seen in the final pen. I have thought about epoxy but I only have experience with 5 min epoxy. That always has some air bubbles after mixing. I was wondering if 30min epoxy would allow the air bubbles out. Would mica powder be the best colorant to make it opaque? Any other ideas for fill material?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

And I suspect that the blank is discolored around the hole from where the bolt corroded?

The usual suggestions are things like epoxy, or epoxy that is colored using either dyes, or sawdust. Epoxy putty ('tootsie roll putty') is another option.

But you could also play around with ideas like drilling out the hole to remove the discoloration, and then cutting a plug that you glue into the hole. Obviously, that would be easier to do prior to cutting the blanks, and certainly prior to drilling and inserting the tubes.

MedWoodWorx

I purchased some blanks from Stadium Blanks and one of them was from wooden stadium seats. The seats are bolted to the seat frames. Because of the pens I was wanting to use I could not totally avoid the bolt holes. I drilled the blanks and glues in the tubes. I have one bolt hole that the tube runs through on one side. I need to fill the bolt hole and have it form around the tube. Once I turn the blank the side of the hole will probably show through the side. I want something opaque so the tube cannot be seen in the final pen. I have thought about epoxy but I only have experience with 5 min epoxy. That always has some air bubbles after mixing. I was wondering if 30min epoxy would allow the air bubbles out. Would mica powder be the best colorant to make it opaque? Any other ideas for fill material?
if the hole is big enough why don't you use a dowel? If you insist filling it with ca, try to mix it with very fine sawdust (from the cuttoffs maybe) or another powder like mica or spices( try curcumin powder for instance). If anything else fails cut it and make a segmented blank :) cheers.

Curly

Fill the hole in layers if rough turned, one if near finished, with a powder you like (spices, coffee grounds, sawdust, etc.) and put a drop or two of thin CA on it. When dry add another layer of powder and more CA. Turn to size adding another batch if air pockets show up.

Looks like I was beaten to the punch.

Bope

I had thought about plugging the hole but thought it wouldn't look good. I should have read that blog post on their web site, I like how those turned out. Unfortunately it is too late to do that. I was thinking about the saw dust, coffee grounds etc. with thin CA but was worried how structurally sound that would be in this case. The hole goes all the way through the blank and a significant portion of the side of the hole will be exposed after turning. This is a Bill's related blank so I am thinking a filler that is red or deep blue that would be opaque. I don't know of any blue spices but there might be a bright red one out there. I think something like chili powder would be too dark.

MedWoodWorx

I had thought about plugging the hole but thought it wouldn't look good. I should have read that blog post on their web site, I like how those turned out. Unfortunately it is too late to do that. I was thinking about the saw dust, coffee grounds etc. with thin CA but was worried how structurally sound that would be in this case. The hole goes all the way through the blank and a significant portion of the side of the hole will be exposed after turning. This is a Bill's related blank so I am thinking a filler that is red or deep blue that would be opaque. I don't know of any blue spices but there might be a bright red one out there. I think something like chili powder would be too dark.
Ca or epoxy glue with any filler material is much much stronger than wood. A dowel can be attractive especially with a contrasting wood. U can find red ( paprika, chilli powder) and redish spices, beyond that you need dyes to colour the glue, maybe mica. If you want the clear contrasting effect go for liquid glass style epoxy resins.cheers

egnald

I use TimberMate wood filler. Available from WoodCraft. It is water soluble and can be diluted and used as a grain filler. If I can't match the color perfectly, I have a set of wood toned magic markers that were made for touching up scratches in furniture that I can use to change the shade or draw in grain patterns, etc. For wormholes in Ambrosia Maple though I just use the near black, ebony, TimberMate to fill the holes but leave them distinct as they are part of what makes Ambrosia Maple what it is. - Dave

monophoto

I had thought about plugging the hole but thought it wouldn't look good.
"Look good' is very subjective - what looks good to you might look terrible to me, and vice versa. But there are things you can do to adjust that perception.

If the tube has already been glued in, you are pretty much limited to materials that you can stuff into the hole as semi-liquid or paste and that will conform to the tube. Epoxy is one option, and you can dyes, coffee or spices, or sawdust to adjust the color. It won't match the surrounding, so the objective must be to create something that is pleasingly compatible.

Some people use CA mixed with some kind of filler/colorant. Frankly, I've never had much success with CA as a filler.

Putty is another option - so-called 'tootsie roll putty' takes its name from the fact that the two components are packaged in a concentric roll, and you just cut off as much as you need and knead to blend. Milliput is a similar product tin which the two components are packaged side-by-side. Putty has an advantage over two-component epoxy that you generally won't get air bubbles that won't appear until you turn down the blank.

If you have not yet drilled and inserted the tube, you could use either a dowel or a plug - the difference between them is the direction of the grain. A dowel that passes through the center of the blank will likely leave end grain on the side of the finished turning that will never match the surrounding side grain. With a plug, you might be able to get an approximate side grain or color match. Getting a dowel or plug that matches the surround wood could be a challenge unless the blank is longer than you need for the pen, and you can salvage enough from the end to make your infill.

But in either case, if the hole is discolored because the original seat mounting bolt was corroded, you either have to accept that as an artifact of the original purpose of the wood (in which case, attempting to get a close match with the surrounding material won't make a lot of sense), or else drill out the hole to remove that discoloration which then requires a larger dowel or plug. Trying to get a grain and color match would be a lot of work, and you would have to ask yourself if you want to put that much effort into a pen.

So if you conclude that it doesn't make sense try to make the hole invisible, then it might be better to emphasize and make it look interesting. In that case, a dowel or plug from contrasting wood might be ideal.

As has been said many times in this forum - there are many ways to skin the cat. The objective is to have fun applying whatever solution you choose to use.

Last edited:

Jans husband

Why not fill it with a dowel and then make a feature out of it to the recipient. " this is made from a seat in the ?? stadium, and you can see where one of the bolt holes was" It may be a mistake to try and cover up an asset.
Just my thoughts

Mike

ccccchunt

I would use UV Resin. You can mix it with Mica Powder to get the correct color combination and maybe match it to a team's colors from the Stadium. Works GREAT as a filler and polishes up like glass!

Top Bottom