Berea's Flat Top American Screw Cap Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRB4381

I started turning pens back in March and so far have stuck to mostly ball points of various styles. I was looking for a nice reasonably priced roller ball and found a Flat Top American Screw Cap Rollerball in Satin Silver under the Specials at Berea for only $3.50. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit as this seems like a very attractive price. It also states that the larger "b" mandrel is needed. I assume this is a requirement as the bushing would be sized for this larger mandrel diameter? Thanks.

Daryn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

At that price, it does seem hard to pass up. I'd jump on some while they have them in stock if I was in the market. The satin silver finish is not the most durable, but it's better than 10k gold. The threads between the cap and body are metal on metal rather than metal to plastic like the higher end kits, but again, at that price, it's not unacceptable. Personally I really like these pens turned closed end rather than using that goofy looking little black sleeve, and it's not that hard, really. Instead of buying a b mandrel and bushings, I would invest that money in a dead center and good 60 degree live center if you don't already have one. Those two things and a cheap dial caliper from ebay or harbor freight, and your ready to turn between centers. If you already have an adjustable mandrel, all you need to be able to turn closed end pens is a drill bit that is just a tiny bit smaller than the threads on your mandrel, and an insert made from a 7mm tube and turned to just fit inside the tube of the sc pen. all you have to do is drill the lower blank with the small bit about a half inch deeper than the length of the tube. then redrill with the v bit deep enough to glue in the kit tube. then just slip the insert onto your mandrel, slide the lower blank over it and thread the end of the mandrel into the smaller hole in the blank. The insert will hold it centered, and the threads will hold it on after you move the live center away to shape and finish the closed end of the blank.

dexter0606

Daryn
I've only made one of them but I had no problem with the kit. And I think it looks good. Some people on this forum gave it a bad rap when I asked about it but my customer has had it now for 5 months and no negative feedback

Attachments

• Pen 133 - 2.jpg
    Pen 133 - 2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 393
  • Pen 133 - 1.jpg
    Pen 133 - 1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 332

jskeen

Here's one I did a while back, and liked enough to keep for myself. It's in the pen rack on my desk right now. I've done several more like this and they were well liked by their recipients. I don't sell them, I use them as loss leaders to entice known good customers to try fountain pens, and they usually lead to sales of higher end fp's. (so far, 4 of 6) which ain't bad, cause once you get somebody hooked on fp's it's like cocaine, they keep coming back :)

This is the slimmest fp kit I know of, and one of the lightest too. More like a factory fountain pen than most of the kits we use, from what I've been told. Only problem I really still have with them is the metal to metal threads, and the price. In good platings they are as much as a higher end kit. The Supplied FP section is all plastic, and I've had issues with them, but that don't apply here. I'm not sure if the RB section is plastic too, never ordered one.

Attachments

• ziricoteclosed.jpg
    ziricoteclosed.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 293
  • ziricoteclosed1.jpg
    ziricoteclosed1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 257

DurocShark

The plastic sections look like crap in a short time. Otherwise, I, too, like them.

The metal to metal threads can be helped with wax on the threads. Makes a world of difference to the feel.

jimbob91577

My only complaint with these kits is the tenon that you have to turn on the cap barrel. It drives me crazy that anyone would design and build a kit that required such device.

The price on them is great though. I've turned several dozen of these style kits (Chrome & Gold - FP & Rollerball) - All seem to hold up well.

lazyguy

My first rollerball was one and I sworn them off because of the tenon but lately I have been rethinking if I can learn threads and replace the plastic. The make a nice light weight pen.

toddlajoie

PSI recently came out with a new version of this pen that no longer requires the tenon, wonder if Berea's going to be doing the same thing and the bargain price is there to dump the old stock...(Pure speculation....)

its_virgil

The metal threads are not the best. I have the cap come off quite easily and ruined a couple of shirts. It now stays on my desk. Give the snap cap version a try. The CSUSA version has a much better snap mechanism. I like them much better. But, they will not be at the price you found.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks for the feedback and good information.

Top Bottom