Beall or Axminster collet chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teniko

Regarding the Beall and the Axminster collet chucks, anyone have one or know the pros and cons to each? I turn mainly pens and birdhouses and would like to buy one of these chucks. Any imput would be appreciated. Dave

vick

I have a Beall and am happy with it. The biggest difference i know of is the type of collet's it uses. Beall uses an er-32 collet than can go up to 3/4 inch. I think the axminster can only go up to 3/8 inch (er-16 i think).

dfurlano

There are a lot of manufacturers of these sets that range to well over 1 inch collet sizes. Here are some examples.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2229

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2206963&PMT4NO=0

Rudy Vey

What do you mean?? The one is a max of 5/8" and the other is a max of 3/4" collet size.
The point is that the collet chuck must be adaptable to our wood lathes. This can be done with either using the morse taper (but then you better use a draw bar) or you screw it onto the spindle, thats the way my Beall attaches to the lathe spindle. There are numerous type of collet chucks out there, but mostly for metal working and often cannot be used, i.e. adapted to our type of lathes. Most of our wood lathes have a MT 2 taper and for this only ER20 or ER 25 collet chucks are available (ER 20 is max of 1/2"; ER 25 is max of 5/8").
Check it out yourself:
http://www.hhip.com/products/product_category.php?category=1817758963

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />There are a lot of manufacturers of these sets that range to well over 1 inch collet sizes. Here are some examples.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2229

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2206963&PMT4NO=0

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I recently asked Richard Kleinhenz this same question, and his answer was essintially that the Bealle was the better way to go because it used industry standard ER32 collets that are available in 1/16" and 1mm increments from 2 - 20 mm; and that it pulled the collets open when it is unscrewed.

The Axminster is a bad design that misses the point - it compresses only. You need to whack it through the headstock to release the collet. It also has a smaller range of collets to 12mm.

wayneis

I've tried both and I own the Beall with no intention of purchasing the Axminster although I do own the Axminster bowl chuck and it works great.

Wayne

Deere41h

I looked at both and came to the conclusion that the Beall would fit my need better. Bought one in the last month and I do like it. Just made my own mandrel for it as well.

Leather Man

Jim,
I have been checking a lot of places for the best deal for the Beall Collet Chuck. I found that CSUSA ended up being the cheapest place for the chuck and The Little Machine Shop had the best price on the collet sets. I got the 18 peice set, 3/32" to 1/2". H&H has the collets for $9.50 each, but by the time you pay for the handling and fright for one or two collets, it was cheaper to buy the sets.
Ben

Teniko

Anthony, I was reading the responces and saw coach had posted on my question and coach is from Texas and Texas had just won the national championship so I thought it would be nice to say congratulations.[:I]

wayneis

Ben the best deal is to buy the chuck from Craft Supply and then the er32 collets from a company like Enco or some of the other metal works companies. They have awsome sales and even free shipping at times.

Wayne

Borg_B_Borg

I have both a Beall collet chuck and an Axminster collet chuck. I started with the Beall and like it a lot, except for one minor complaint that, because of it's fat blunt shape, it creates clearance problems. That's the primary reason I also got an Axminster chuck. The Axminster chuck's small tapered head gives much better clearance. Also the Axminster chuck's knurled collar does not require a wrench to tighten. With the Beall, you need one wrench to tighten and somestimes 2 wrenches (working in opposite directions) to loosen. Construction-wise, they are about equally accurate, with runout less than 0.001". The problem with the Axminster is it's limited collet sizing. There are only 3 Axminster collet sizes and none will fit a Berea B mandrel. However, someone else in this thread pointed out that it may take ER-16 collets, in which case, you may be able to buy a set of ER-16 collets to work with both 1/4" and Berea B mandrels.

Steve

its_virgil

Steve,
The Axminister Collet Chuck does in fact use ER20 collets. I won one at the Rendezvous in Provo last summer and since I had the Beall I did some horse trading. And the ER20 size only goes to 1/2 inch.
Do a good turn daily!'
Don

The
Originally posted by Borg_B_Borg
<br />I have both a Beall collet chuck and an Axminster collet chuck. I started with the Beall and like it a lot, except for one minor complaint that, because of it's fat blunt shape, it creates clearance problems. That's the primary reason I also got an Axminster chuck. The Axminster chuck's small tapered head gives much better clearance. Also the Axminster chuck's knurled collar does not require a wrench to tighten. With the Beall, you need one wrench to tighten and somestimes 2 wrenches (working in opposite directions) to loosen. Construction-wise, they are about equally accurate, with runout less than 0.001". The problem with the Axminster is it's limited collet sizing. There are only 3 Axminster collet sizes and none will fit a Berea B mandrel. However, someone else in this thread pointed out that it may take ER-16 collets, in which case, you may be able to buy a set of ER-16 collets to work with both 1/4" and Berea B mandrels.

Steve

its_virgil

A set on ebay is $169 with the "make an offer" choice. I offered $125 but did not hear back. would be interested in a set....the are available for around $9.50-$11.00 if purchased individually. I would be interested in a set for the right price. I have in fact checked the price and almost ordered a set last evening. I will hold off until the g roup buy works out or not.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />Oh man! I hate to hear this! How much are we talking about cost wise?[:0][:(][B)][;)]

Tangboy5000

Okay here are some prices, but I'm a little confused on the terminology since I've never used one of these before. The 3/4" and 1" collet chuck, nut and spanner would be $59. The 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 33mm collet chuck nut and spanner would be $62. If you want the chuck kit with 5 E.R.-32 Collets then add $75 to the above prices. They also sell individual collets, but it looks like you can get them cheaper than the $18 I would have to charge per collet. The 5 collets included in the package are 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4". I'll put them up on my website on Monday if people are interested in doing this. Post here if just want the chuck or the set. That way I know what has to go up on the site. Hope this helps some people out.

Rudy Vey

Don't forget that these collets are quite wide spaced - for the B mandrel one needs additionally a 5/16" collet. The collets are spaced in /16" to get the full range of holding ability.

Originally posted by Tangboy5000
<br />Okay here are some prices, but I'm a little confused on the terminology since I've never used one of these before. The 3/4" and 1" collet chuck, nut and spanner would be $59. The 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 33mm collet chuck nut and spanner would be $62. If you want the chuck kit with 5 E.R.-32 Collets then add $75 to the above prices. They also sell individual collets, but it looks like you can get them cheaper than the $18 I would have to charge per collet. The 5 collets included in the package are 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4". I'll put them up on my website on Monday if people are interested in doing this. Post here if just want the chuck or the set. That way I know what has to go up on the site. Hope this helps some people out.

Borg_B_Borg

Don, how certain are you of this? I'm looking at my 1/4" Axminster collet and compared it to the dimensions of an ER(SA)-16 collet spec. on

http://www.tmsmith.com/products/groups/collets/p43.pdf

and found them to be quite different.

The specs. of my Axminster's collet are:
A=0.810
B=1/4"
C=1.230"

whereas the specs. for an ER(SA)-16 according to the link are:
A=0.6299"
B=1/4"
C=1.083"

I'd like to buy a couple of collets on eBay but can't be certain they'll fit.

Steve

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Steve,
The Axminister Collet Chuck does in fact use ER16 collets.
Don

Borg_B_Borg

Based on the specs. on the link I mentioned, it appears my Axminster collet is actually closer to an ER(SA)-20. I'd love to solve this puzzle. Actually I'm quite certain now that it's ER20. An ER20 7-8mm collet that fits a Berea B mandrel is available on eBay for $10 apiece (eBay item number 7571324043).

Steve

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The Axminster collets are indeed the ER-20 and they are listed as such on the Axminster website. I corrected the error in my previous message. I was thinking 20 and typed 25.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Collets-for-Junior-Chuck-29924.htm

angboy

Originally posted by Tangboy5000
<br />I'll be adding a link in the Business classifieds in just a moment.

Will the price be the same when you carry them just as regular stock, or would we need to order now to get this group buy price? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom