Worthless Wood Custom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greeneyedblackcat

I know you guys thought I was washed up so I built this one special, its not my usual style but this one is for my little girl's birthday (she is 25 now but she's still my little girl). She is a PA (Pen addict) just like my wife :) It is a purse pen from scratch, everything on this pen was handmade including the worthless wood pen blank, I built it from solid 316 stainless steel and the blank is Alumilite and cherry burl. Hope you like it>>>>GEBC :cat:

1_WW_1.jpg

1_ww_2.jpg

1_ww_3.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Hey...you need to give it a name. It's not right for one of your not to have a name.

Love the glow in the blue. It really sets off the wood.

Beautiful job, as always.

hewunch

I am loving everything... but the cap. I am in awe of the talent it takes to make it (everything including the cap) But the cap well it looks too heavy for the body and well reminds me of a dead center. $.02

I am loving everything... but the cap. I am in awe of the talent it takes to make it (everything including the cap) But the cap well it looks too heavy for the body and well reminds me of a dead center. $.02

The cap is hollow all the way to the tip so it is not very heavy, she wanted a "Magic wand" so I made her a pen with a magic wand'ish type cap (If there is such a thing LOL) I have over 2 days in this one and she just loved it. She is my biggest fan and my favorite critic :)

bitshird

Jim, great to see some of your work again, neat trick using HDPE for a friction liner, the pen is superb, I'm sure your little girl will love the pen.

Ligget

Jim that pen is awesome, I especially like the friction fit idea of the cap, your daughter will love it I`m sure!

Great to see you back at the lathe making pens!!!

can I see a pic of the inside of the cap? :)
I already gave it to her but here is a picture of a pen that I used a similar technique, I thread the outside of the polyethylene bushing so the Ca glue has a place to go. The glue will not bond to the HDPE so the "Threads" hold the glue so it can bond to the stainless cap. The only way to remove the polyethylene is to drill it out. It really work's great :)

1_WW_4.jpg
2_cannon_6.jpg

Last edited:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I love the idea of friction fit cap! And I can "see the 'Magic Wand'." Its really quite clever! How long is it?

I love the blue's glowing contrast with the wood and tying in to the metal's color and tone. Very clever!

Rollerbob

Nice work as usual, Jim. Heck didn't know you were a caster, too.:eek: But I'm not at all suprised. Glad to know you took time off blowing things up to make something nice for your baby girl!!:wink:

glycerine

Thanks!

I already gave it to her but here is a picture of a pen that I used a similar technique, I thread the outside of the polyethylene bushing so the Ca glue has a place to go. The glue will not bond to the HDPE so the "Threads" hold the glue so it can bond to the stainless cap. The only way to remove the polyethylene is to drill it out. It really work's great :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow, casting now too!!! That is really very very nice and like has been said, the blue goes with the wood fantastically.
I love the idea of a friction fit cap too, but never had any success in my feeble attempts.

Well done James, I'm sure she really loves it:biggrin:

I have to thank Jason from the last Bubbasville meeting in November for the blank, he was gracious enough to show all of us caster Wannabees a thing or two about the fine art of casting in Alumilite. We cast this one and a few others at the meeting. Thanks again Jason :)

Last edited:

mickr

interesting, as usual...somehow it still looks like a weapon. it may reside in a silo in North Dakota??

I love the idea of friction fit cap! And I can "see the 'Magic Wand'." Its really quite clever! How long is it?

I love the blue's glowing contrast with the wood and tying in to the metal's color and tone. Very clever!

Cathy, thanks for the kind words, the pen is about 6 inches long, the barrel of the pen is just over .5". I used stainless tubing for the spine of the pen, it blends in nicely with the translucent blank :)

Top Bottom