Pentarsia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

airrat

CONGRATZ!! you have taken it another step. Very nice pen.
I too would love to see a picture of the blank before you start. After seeing Fangar's post, I am really interested.

JHFerrell

Eagle, How you do it is way beyond me. I for one love the term Pentarsia...seems really appropriate to me. I know its been said before but there really are no words to express just how beautiful this one is. You are indeed a Masterful Pen Making Guy!

Fangar

I spoke to Eagle today. His Computer took a doodoo. Hopefully he will back up soon to badger me and see all of the nice comments you folks have left for him. I know he worked very hard on this pen. I think it even greater that he intends on donating it to the charity.

Fangar

Czarcastic

Eagle:
You honored me with a "preview" of this pen last week, and asked me not to say anything until you posted it. That was easy to do because I was completely speechless when I saw it.

I believe you have quite literally "raised the bar" on inventiveness, ingenuity, and technical expertise with this pen, and I thank you for posting it here.

<b>The fact that you are sending this for the hospital auction "post-contest" speaks volumes for the kind of person you really are. </b>

Thank you again for reenforcing my belief that the people who frequent this site are some of the best folks in the world.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />In spite of being a PITA you are one wonderful craftsman!

For those that don't really know Eagle, he also gives away bullet pens to service people he meets, day to day.

He may be blunt, but he's really an extraordinary GUY as well as a master "pentarsian". (Somebody call Webster, we're gonna need a few revisions).

I've already tried to tell him what I think of this effort and his decision to donate it.

Yes, there are a number of outstanding PEOPLE on this forum and, in spite of some people's opinion, Eagle is one of them. (In my very informed opinion!!)

Rifleman1776

Ed, and others, yes, Eagle is a unique sort of person. And it shows in his determination to create new and exciting items. We have talked on the phone several times and I am always impressed with his ability to put facts into logical perspective. Sometimes that absolute narrow perspective can be frustrating but it is always educational. In my opinion, this pen could be submitted to his state art museum for display of a combination of craftmanship and art. Eagle doesn't think that way, he is giving it to a worthy cause and for that he is to be commended. I can't get that pen out of my mind. To say "WOW!" doesn't come close.

J. Fred Muggs

Eagle:
It was great meeting you and your wife a few weeks ago at Klingspor. As I told you then, You do some of the most beautiful pens on this forum (or that other one that you don't want to be part of). I have been inspired, and awed by the pictures of your work. Even more so seeing some in person. But this pen, This pen is giant leaps ahead of anything that even you have done and is unquestionably the very best of all I've seen on any forum. Sir, my hat is off to you!!, and to your wife for her part in the design.

My I simply say thank you for all you do for penturning.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
To all who have posted or sent e-mails I am very much appreciative.
There was a select group of members I speak with on a regular basis and each time I came to a stumbling block which subsequently was solved I sent a preview.
Someday I may get around to posting some pictures of the different steps that were failures(and there were many believe me.)But not just now.
There are others in the works, others in my head(still constitutes being in the works.)
There will not be any tutorials on this one either.
Perhaps until you start something like this, you cannot imagine the feeling of jubilation when it all falls into place (by design or luck) .I would not want to rob anyone of that feeling of discovery or accomplishment.
I don't want to be the one who hollers out how the magician did his trick and spoil it.
In truth it looks very complicated.It isn't.
Care must be paid to set up tools accurately(which you should be doing anyway)
All cuts were made on a tablesaw(Grizzly contractor so you don't need a $1500 unisaw to make accurate cuts.A $10.00 diablo blade, 7 & 1/4 inch so you don't need a Forrest woodworker blade that is over $100.00.
I also relied on a Dremel scroll saw(about $150 so you don't need anything real fancy.I bought mine used)
I dyed my own woods but naturally colored exotics will give a nice effect also(except for "Eagle's Elusive Blue")[^]
The body of the pen is a spiral segment with additional pieces used to give a "mortar" effect"
Except for the wood I Dyed, all the wood came from the scrap bin of local woodworkers in my town,some came from the trash.
<b>There are "secrets" I am not going to reveal just out of plain smug selfrightousness, live with it.[^]</b>As I said in the original post, this pen has a long story behind it that only 4 people know.
Myself,my wife Lynn, RTJW and D.C. Bluesman.(Cav knows a little bit but I don't want to give him any satisfaction by mentioning his name.)He's thumb his nose at it anyway[:D]
To all others, I swore you to secrecy so I will not betray our confidance.
I cannot explain how often this pen should have not come about and to tell you the truth I am in the process of finishing another and I have gotten to the point I am almost afraid of it.
It is no more difficult than this one but a little different none the less.
This pen has acquired a couple of names.
<b>One for giving </b>is a misnomer and a play on words.
In truth this is the second one but the first one completed, hence the <b>"One".</b>
The <b>for giving </b>is purposely written that way because I am not selling it, I am giving it.
At no time was this pen ever intended to be in Jonnies contest.To be frank I didn't think this one would reach completion. I didn't even start turning it for drilling until the Thursday before the deadline.
Remember this was intended as a "test piece"
The finish was the first time I used a spray lacquer and I am very pleased with the results and plan to continue to use Deft right out of the aerosol can.
Anyway there was something spiritual about this pen.Weird things happend. Part way though doing the pentarsia inlay( really a glue up), the design was lost until afer I completed the pen.&lt;ost of the tricky parts were done out of my head.It actually went easier because I relied on instinct rather than referring to what Lynn drew.
Miraculaously I found the design.I can't explain it so I am not even going to try.
I sometimes refer to it as the "Cross" pen but cringe when I catch myself.
I am starting to call it the "Cathedral" because whatI envisioned were the stones of a European Cathedral with stained glass windows in it.There are two windows.
Because I am a human being I am not perfect, there is one more comment I want to make.
If you think this "sunshine thread" shouldn't be spoiled, don't read any farther.(I'll wait till you change the page)
.all right brave ones but I warned you[:D]
I have noticed a few members who decided not to comment on this pen one way or another.
Perhaps this pen is not <b>"spectacular"</b> enough for you, that's o.k.
It may be some real darn good work but I know where the flaws are so I also know it is not "technically perfect"
Just another pretty pen ... (maybe).
Perhaps someday I will make a<b> "spectacular pen" that is truly innovative.</b>BUT

For today and until I mail this off to Johnnie, I can sit with my coffee and non-filtered cigarettes in the dim morning light at the dining room table while my wife and daughter are still sleeping, and smugly and self-righteously admire my own work knowing that I have never seen anything like this before, pinch myself and ask myself...
Did I really make this?Did this really emerge from my head travel through my hands and with the grace of my Highter Power come to completion?
'HMMMMMPH!

What am I going to do next?[:(]
<b>I am not satisfied with what I did yesterday.</b>

<b>Maybe that is the mark of a craftsman.</b>
"Argue your limitations and they are yours". Richard Bach

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by rtjw
<br />Thank you for letting me be a part of this process eagle. Something I will never forget.

Not quite exactly what you envisioned when you aksed if I could put a "Cross" in a stained glass woodow pen blnak is it?[:eek:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Eagle,

Enjoy the accolades, you have earned them. I was proud to be an insignificant portion of the process, which consisted of listening to your ideas and solutions to problems and wishing I could understand what you were saying!! I am proud to say I've learned a few tricks from you that help me through some rough spots.

As far as those who are eager to zing you, and may I call myself one of your coharts, consider the source. I know that you and Ron from Drums have had a conflict or two. However Ron stepped up to the plate and acknowledged your incredible pen. For that, Ron, I salute you as a true gentleman. As far as those whose silence is deafening, a small pew of sore thumbs sticks out in my mind.

Those who operate at a higher plane of creativity are often misunderstood, I don't really understand you and your creative process, but please know that I appreciate being able to view the results.

ashaw

Eagle

You have done good. I still go back and look at it and I am in wow over the pen.
I also respect you for not providing a tutoial on how to make it. You are right there is a certain thrill in completing a project where the plans are only in your head.

Again great work.

Originally posted by cteaglesc
It may be some real darn good work but I know where the flaws are so I also know it is not "technically perfect"
Perhaps someday I will make a "spectacular pen" that is truly innovative.

Sometimes we learn more from our flaws and our mistakes than we do from our achievements.

I know I do . . . at least in woodworking . . .

53Jim

YOU STOLE MY IDEA !!!!

Ya right.

I'd have to be about 387 years old before I could do anything 1/64 that spectacular.

Great work of art. You should be very, very proud of that pen/art.

****By the way, I was only kidding about stealing my idea. No hard feelings??

tinker

Eagle, I posted a response over on woodnet, hope you read that one. When I was a struggling newbie and had no idea there was a penturners forum, you came to my rescue and that tells me all I need to know about you.
I will admit that I haven't liked all of the pens you have posted, but I admire your ability to make them.
This pen is in a class all by itself. In a juried show, nothing else would be in the same catagorie. You have no peers.
Looking forward to the next presentation.

Eagle I cannot even begin to comment on this extraordinary pen. My eyes are too weak and my brain is too small to even contemplate how you did this. I do not think anyone will diagree with me when I say that you are among the elite of all penmakers. I also count it a great privilege to know you and be able to count you among my friends.

angboy

Eagle- like everyone else, I am just amazed at what you've done in making this pen! I don't think I could even manage to hold onto all those little tiny pieces and not drop them, let alone be able to place them so specifically into a pattern and have them stay in place!

Your wife was obviously very creative in the first step of creating such a lovely design, and your execution of it is amazing! The more I look at it and learn about it, the more I see the intricacies of this pen.

I know several pen makers who are not members of this forum (why not is beyond me) and once before I referred one of them (my dad) to a member's album that I was so impressed by. This was only the second time that something so impressed me that it immediately came to mind to do that again.

I started to not post feedback on this thread, because it seems like everything that could be said about this pen has been said many times and in all of the most expressive ways that I could think of to give the same feedback. But then I thought, well even if it's a repeat, it truly deserves the feedback and recognition.

All of your pens and blank designs are admirable. That's what accounts for my having an "ode to Eagle" pen in my album (even though it can't compare to your pen and is a blatant copying of your design). That's also why when I had reason to send Johnny an e-mail about something awhile ago, I lightly (but also seriously) told him that a great prize for the contest would be to get Eagle to donate a pen blank. Johnny may not even remember that suggestion, but it was made because I thought that would be a more coveted prize than even a new lathe worth several hundred dollars! And that was with even less stupendoues of your blanks in mind. (Please don't take that to mean that I am suggesting anything other than sharing it to illustrate the awe that I have for your pen blanks).

Like others have commented on, I also admire your not even entering this so that you would be eligible for a prize in the contest (you would have been a cinch to win and no one else would have had a chance). That truly demonstrates the totally giving feelings and thoughts that went into this.

Before I started with this pasttime, I know that I probably wouldn't have been able to look at one-of-a-kind had crafted pens and truly appreciated everything that went into it, particularly one such as this that involves so much more than the actual turning of the wood. I'm sure in this case that the turning part was minimal compared to everything else! But now that I have a little more knowledge about penturning, it is humble-ifying (I figure if you had to make up a new word to name the pen, it's not unexpected that I have to make up a new word in talking about it) to be able to see what someone could make when they put such heart, artistic talent, and just plain old hard work into making a pen.

Now this Ode to Eagle has gotten long (I can be wordy at times) so I think that's all I'll say!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Angboy-
It would have pen O.K. if you had just said
<b>NPGJ</b>
I sincerly appreciate your comments.
As a matter of fact, I think I will read it again.[:D]
(there goes that ole' smug self-righteous me again)[^]
BTW
"I don't think I could even manage to hold onto all those little tiny pieces and not drop them, let alone be able to place them so specifically into a pattern and have them stay in place!"

the truth is with the CA, some times the hardest part was getting the pieces unstuck from my fingers

mick

Eagle I've searched the English dictionary and can't find the right word. In the A's were Amazing and Astonishing. Browsing the B's I came upon Beautiful and Brilliant, C's brought forth Creative and Cunning......well you get the picture .....in the end all I can say is [:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]

rtparso

OK you old cuss (said with love) you said
Code:
I have noticed a few members who decided not to comment on this pen one way or another.
Perhaps this pen is not "spectacular" enough for you, that's o.k.
How about the only thing I could think to say was how the heck did you do that!!! To which you would have replied??? My comments on this one you pulled the colors together (a critique I had of an earlier pen). You amaze me that you can glue up the like that and see what it is going to come out as.
Code:
Only one man made anything perfect. And it only took a little while for us to screw it up. Your pens are absolutely amazing what else can I say. Give me a call sometime you got the number.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />As far as those who are eager to zing you, and may I call myself one of your coharts, consider the source. I know that you and Ron from Drums have had a conflict or two. However Ron stepped up to the plate and acknowledged your incredible pen. For that, Ron, I salute you as a true gentleman. As far as those whose silence is deafening, a small pew of sore thumbs sticks out in my mind.

Gosh William, it almost sounds like you calling my name here. I have been busy learning all sort of new things about Web design lately, and I usually don't comment on pens presented anyway.

I will say that it is nice that he (I just can't call him Eagle) is donating a pen to a worthy cause. I think it's great that so many people helped Johnny with this great cause. I really believe in helping children.

Tim

arioux

This is the first time i comment on a pen because i am a real beginner and i don't think that i have expertise to critisize someone work but with this one, no need to be an expert and no way i can stay silent.

Do i hate you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Each time i think that i'm going somewhere with my turning, i stumble on one of your pen. !!!!!
Boy do you set the bar at a level that i don't even think of reaching.

Do i love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You show me that one individual with enough willpower and imagination can achive great thing and i really think that this pen id a GREAT thing.

Alfred

My goodness! WHAT A PEN!!!! When I logged in and saw the 6 pages, I knew this had to be something else and not bad, since it wasn't locked LOL

Without a doubt, the most beautiful, well-executed and thought out instrument to be introduced to us here.

Now-- Johnny might need to bend a rule at the auction-- I'd LOVE to know what this masterpiece will bring for the hospital!!! :eek:)

Congrats to you and your wife on an exceptional collaboration!!

Now. Whats next? :eek:)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
It was not my intention to call out anyone with my previous post. I simply felt that this was the most amazing pen I had had the pleasure to see and was worthy of comment. If anyone feels personally attacked, I regret that. For anyone who feels that they were the intended recipient of my post, please note my new signature line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom