Pens to try your patience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eskimo

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskimo

I've just completed two pens that almost drove me crazy (admittedly, it's a short drive). A lot of time spent sharpening tools and a lot of very light cuts, however, the Cross-cut B&W Ebony and the Black Palm were both well worth the effort. Unfortunately, the pictures don't adequately show the depth of the B&W Ebony.

20071223181449_BW%20Ebony%20x-cut2.jpg

20071223181246_Black%20Palm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doddman70

Very nice on both!!! i have never turned any palm yet but i do have a piece glued up out in the shop i may just have to head out and see if i can make it look as nice as yours[:D]

Shane

I've done a few pieces of palm.. one pen, one peppermill and a couple of tea lights.. I liken the sawdust that comes off the palm almost like sand.. hard on tools and if you're not careful, hard on the turner.

Personally, I like the B&W Ebony better of the two.. I've a little bowl I did in B&W Ebony.. one of my favorite pieces.. the only pen I ever did doesn't show the color marks nearly as well as yours... good work.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Palm can be made much easier to turn, since I have learned about CA finishes. As you reach finished size, douse with thin CA, this starts your CA finish AND makes the blank MUCH easier to finalize.

And, shiny black palm still looks good!!

You don't mention your finish, Bob, but your results are certainly GREAT!!!

If you did NOT use CA, try it!!!

eskimo

Ed,

Both pens are a CA/BLO finish and I did use several coats of thin CA through the process of turning the Palm. Actually, it should more accurately be referred to as a CA pen with a little Black Palm.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by eskimo
<br />Ed,

Both pens are a CA/BLO finish and I did use several coats of thin CA through the process of turning the Palm. Actually, it should more accurately be referred to as a CA pen with a little Black Palm.

This technique reduces my sympathy - but its still a nice looking pen!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom