• A Great Round.jpg
    A Great Round.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 991
  • The Driver.jpg
    The Driver.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 874
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Wow. How did you do that. Did you skin the golf ball and cast it or what. That is the slickest new pen idea I've seen in a long long time.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks boys and girls for the kind words. The "ball" part is white polymer clay. After seeing and making the baseball and football pens I thought, why not a golf ball? It took a while but I figured out that it had to be done by hand rather than a mould, or at least for me it did. I turned a 1/2 x 1/2 strip of Corian to form a "dimpler" and had to redo that several times before the size was correct. I cover the brass tube, that's been sanded, with the PC, roll it smooth and then, wearing magnifier glasses, I start dimpling till it's covered. Takes between 150 and 160 dimples. I do it in rows radially off setting like bowling pins are lined up. I put it on the lathe and apply 2 coats of thin CA and when dry apply the slip off decal. I let it dry overnight, cause it was getting late, and then apply 4 or 5 more coats of thin CA. No sanding or buffing, just the CA. It came out just as I had hoped (after 4 days of doing it and tearing it off and doing it again). Give it a shot. These should sell but be careful with the trademarked names you use.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Forget trademarked names, think "gag gifts":

"A ball you won't lose" comes to mind.

Oh---Great idea and nice execution, Bill!!!!

Penl8the

Hi Bill,

As a golfer, golf club maker and a pretend pen maker, I salute you.

Awesome pens. Very creative.

I heard of Balata cover, Surlyn cover and so on. But not Poly Clay cover. Just wait and see how soon the big golf ball manufacturers like Titleist, Nike, Callaway, etc get a hold this new material.

PC cover golf ball gives you greater distance, more control, less spin and more spin at the same time. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

RAdams

Banned
Yup... Ernie was right, This thread was definately worth a look!! Really cool work!

wood-of-1kind

Great idea and very well executed. How about doing one as a "Euro" pen and using the golf clip pen clip(s) that they sell? Bet that it would look great and be a big hit on the links.

Buzzzz4

Wow! I wasn't into the other designs you had, but this one rocks the house. When you are ready to sell a few, please let me know!

Jim Smith

GREAT idea and excellent execution! You could even use the laminated wood from the head of an old driver to make the top portion of the pen. Either way, great looking pen.

Perhaps you should consider going to some of the pro-shops at the golf courses around where you live and I've sure that they would sell like crazy.

Jim Smith

bruce119

Nice job I actually had this idea and tried doing skinning a golf ball but as you found out that doesn't work. You know the core of the golf balls make great segmenting material and turns great and just about every ball I cut open is a different color there a very hard rubber and turn well. I also chopped up the old persimmon wood clubs and used the laminated to make pens with the golf ball core laminated in them. The golfers here love them.

Great job thanks for sharing. I got to start playing with clay. Just not enough time in a day

thanks

Seer

I have some Hickory pieces that are remnats of actual golf club shafts as well all about 5 to 6 inches long that would pair up with this nicely. Well done pm me if you want some to try.
Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom