Gum Nuts & Eucalyptus Flower Stems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

I was over at Gawdelpus's place and talking over a coffee on his balcony. I was looking down and there were these little cup things caught between the decking that looked interesting. On examination we realised they were the flower stems from the gum tree near by that had blown down in the wind.

We picked up a few, enough to cast for a Sierra as a trial. When I got home, I also collected a few gum nuts from the Bloodwood tree outside my shed, then cast them both in some red translucent epoxy casting resin (to help with sticking them together).

Not sure about the gum nuts, but the flower stems almost looks like a fancy acrylic
2thumbsup.gif
. Plenty of CA during turning, to ensure they held together, but I really didn't have any problems. Used CA to finish over the top after sanding as the epoxy doesn't take a shine well.

1_Gum_nut_flower_stems.JPG

1_gum_nuts.JPG

Cheers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Booth look fantastic. Really like the flower stem one. These remind me of acorn caps from oak trees around here. May have to give them a try when the acorns drop in a few months.

Mark

Awesome job. They both came out great.

Did you slice the nuts down before casting or just do them whole and turn it down. They are very interesting.

Top Bottom