Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Pen #6

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Pen #7

Votes: 21 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stonepecker

We have seven great entries for the kids contest.
Please vote for your top three (3) pens.
We have several kids that entered multi pens. Only one prize per person.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Youth 13 and Under Contest - BASH 2019

Pen #1
A Black Mesquite Burl pen from a 12 yo Lady.
My Daughter did almost all work on this pen. She picked the pen kit and blank. She drilled the center holes, glued in the tubes, squared the blank pieces, rounded the pens, shaped the blanks, did all sanding and finishing, and pressed the parts together. I (her father) used the skew to clean up her shaped blank, and applied the actual CA to the blanks. She finished the pen this evening,.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:

stonepecker

Pen #2

Entry of a 9 yo Lady
This is her first Corian pen. I (Daddy) cut the blank on the bandsaw since ½" Corian is so small, did a refresher on wet sanding with the first grit, and assembled the pen. My Daughter did the drilling, scraping and gluing of the tubes, squaring the ends of the blank, chamfering of the tubes, turning and sharpening with a spindle roughing gouge and negative rake scraper, did most of the wet sanding, and polished with a polishing compound.

We can only hope she get the pen making bug like we have. Either way, I am enjoying the time in the shop with her.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 248

stonepecker

Pen #3

From a Future IAP member, 12 yo gentleman
Hi, honestly this is probably the hardest but my most favorite pen I've done. I got the idea from a pen turning meeting in Akron, Ohio that I did. So the person told me how so I decided to do it. I didn't think it would be too good because when I cut it the wood was different sizes. It was also harder making the blank for this than I thought. There was a lot of cutting I had to do, then we glued veneer between pieces and stuck them together. I was worried about the pen because I realized the wood and veneer are the same color but thankfully it showed up. Then I had to turn the pen which was hard because I'm not the best at turning and the wood was different width so it was hard to get it smooth. Then I sanded, put shiny stuff on it and smashed it together, and it looked good.

Parent says – I guided him the entire way. I turned it for about 20 seconds to help avoid a potential blowout.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 237

stonepecker

Pen #4

9yo girl's Entry
I mark the blank so daddy could cut it on the saw then, i drilled a hole in the blank next, i mixed two glues together so i could put the tube in the glue so then i could put the tube in the blank and let it dry for a day. The next day i put the blank in the lathe so i could make the blank end flat, then I made it in to a circle like shape. I then put it back on the lathe so i could sand paper it i went from the lowest sand paper to the highest then when i finished i started doing micro mesh to take out all the scratches from my pen then i polished it after that i put my pen together with my kit then it was all complete!

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 321

stonepecker

Pen #5

From a 9 yo young man
I started with a square blank and drilled the centre to put the brass tube in. I glued in the tube with CA glue than sanded the ends and the corners off to start making round. On the lathe I turned down to round than shaped the ends. Dad watched over me to point out what to do next. To finish the pen I coated with one coat of CA glue than sanded and polished. I wanted a natural looking pen and very happy with the way it came out. The fittings are slimline and green in colour.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 242

stonepecker

Pen # 6

9yo Boy's entry made with Hoop Pine
I started with a square blank and drilled the centre to put the brass tube in. I glued in the tube with CA glue than sanded the ends and the corners off to start making round. On the lathe I turned down to round than shaped the ends. Dad watched over me to point out what to do next. To finish the pen I coated with one coat of CA glue than sanded and polished. I wanted a natural looking pen and very happy with the way it came out. The fittings are slimline and blue in colour

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 266

stonepecker

Pen #7

Entry made with Hoop Pine from a 9 yo boy.
I started with a square blank and drilled the centre to put the brass tube in. I glued in the tube with CA glue than sanded the ends and the corners off to start making round. On the lathe I turned down to round than shaped the ends. Dad watched over me to point out what to do next. To finish the pen I coated with one coat of CA glue than sanded and polished. I wanted a natural looking pen and very happy with the way it came out. The fittings are slimline and black crome in colour.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 245
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 264

Pen Joe

Congratulation to you young people, working with you mind, hands and brain to produce what you have is a skill that few of your age will ever see, you are all winners, they are all beautiful, Parents thank you for putting a investment that will pay off, they will never forget what you have done for them, winners, all winners. :)

stonepecker

Alright Kids...…...You have made it hard on the membership.

Only seven votes separate 1st and 2nd place.
We have a one vote lead in 3rd place.

Get everyone you know to vote for this contest. We need a clear winner here.

stonepecker

UPDATE...……

Just 13 votes separate the top 4 pens.
3rd place is just 2 votes apart.

The kids have done an excellent job making these pens some of the best ever.
Members, show your support by voting today!

edicehouse

So Marley had been asking about this, yesterday I told her when the voting was over, and she kept asking if she could stay up. We told her no, but didn't realize tonight was the Masked Singer that her mom lets her watch. So she is bouncing all over, having to tell her grandmother, and just pumped.

Thank you all, thanks for running the contest. Thanks to those from Minnesota for the prizes. You guys rock.

Top Bottom