Your Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Has anyone truly made a pen strictly for yourself?? We all make pens and many times just grab one and it becomes our everyday carry pen. I have done this my self over the years. When I started making pens the very first pen I made for myself was a Sierra circuit board pen green. still have it and still use it today. Made an all aluminum one for my desk around the same time and again still have it. Has some nicks in it but still does the job. They do the job but are not unique enough to be mine and mine alone. But was thinking the other day I want to truly make a one of a kind pen just for me. have been thinking about it for some time and know what i want to do but not sure I can pull it off because the material is not easily bent around the tube so the casting would be a problem. But I will try it for sure.

So if you have lets see them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

I have a tendency to decide that a pen will be going into my permanent collection after I make it, but these were a couple of the few I actually planned out and wanted to make for me. I really wanted a fancy clicky rollerball pen, so I made this one, which I still carry with me at work.

The snake one probably took the span of a year or so to get done because there were a lot of new techniques I had to try and learn, but I had been kicking around the idea in my head for a while
7A3A8A05-485F-4B95-B1F0-52E03E84617A.jpeg
87D54872-44E0-499D-BD50-3DD05FD9781A.jpeg

ZanderPommo

In the past I have used new kits as my everyday carry to test how they hold up, but it was only recently that I truly made a pen intended for me, and the only reason was because the lady wanted a matching set, which required I make one for myself…because that's the only way to have a matching set. I put a lot of work into them so it would be something special for both of us (her). Only time I can remember setting out and making one that I knew would be mine. Ironically, after years of selling fountain pens this is the only one I used beyond making a few scribbles, and now it's a distinct possibility that I never use a ballpoint again. This entire time apparently I would have preferred a fountain pen. Go figure.
They're made out of sweet gum pods, stabilized with CA and inlayed with crushed turquoise and gold leaf/CA slurry.

Attachments

• IMG_9553.jpeg
    IMG_9553.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 79

bugradx2

I have one that was made for me by a close friend as my daily writer. I love it dearly and it rarely leaves the house, I work from home so I use it every day. It's a big part of the reason I added a lathe to my shop and started turning. I'm not sure I could in good conscious replace it. I might have to make one to keep in my work bag for the times I'm traveling.

I typically take the pens I make on business trips to try out or have coworkers try for feedback.

Lmstretch

I have a tendency to decide that a pen will be going into my permanent collection after I make it, but these were a couple of the few I actually planned out and wanted to make for me. I really wanted a fancy clicky rollerball pen, so I made this one, which I still carry with me at work.

The snake one probably took the span of a year or so to get done because there were a lot of new techniques I had to try and learn, but I had been kicking around the idea in my head for a while View attachment 363122View attachment 363123
These are beautiful. Are you a jeweler by trade, or self taught?

duncsuss

I made a few fountain pens for other people from the Parker Pen "marble" material (sometimes called "crushed velvet") and it was getting harder and harder to put them in the mail. Eventually I realised I had to make one for myself. Bock #6 nib, cartridge/converter ink supply. I use it every day at work.
Parker Blue Marble - Bock 6 -6.jpg

ZanderPommo

I made a few fountain pens for other people from the Parker Pen "marble" material (sometimes called "crushed velvet") and it was getting harder and harder to put them in the mail. Eventually I realised I had to make one for myself. Bock #6 nib, cartridge/converter ink supply. I use it every day at work.
View attachment 363167
Gorgeous. The slim profile and clip also make it much more attractive to me, personally.

Drewby108

I made a black anodized clip bolt action for myself. Holly with a black veneer 360 herringbone because I wanted to try out the herringbone build.

I use it everyday at work, and the anodizing wear shows. I drop it more often than I hold it and it's still kicking (including tossing it to somebody and it hitting a bunch of metal racking). The biggest complaint I have is the clip loosens over prolonged use, and trying to tighten it with the brass tube still on is a challenge. I like that it has the psuedo-click top when I lend it to coworkers, since they don't notice the bolt action right away.

Attachments

• 20220601_182131.jpg
    20220601_182131.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 56

RunnerVince

My uncle and I are both Zebra pen fans. He wanted something custom that used the Zebra ink refill, so I did a test pen for me, followed by another for him. Not quite start-to-finish purely for me, but I did end up with a nice cigar pen that uses a Zebra refill. It's my favorite of all my "personal" pens.

builtbybill

Duncan,

That pen looks awesome and I really love the clip, which is actually how I found this thread , looking for custom clips. I am hoping to get started in custom/kitless/bespoke pen making after the holidays, and I was hoping to be able to make my own clips out of Argentium silver. So, I was just wondering if you tell me about your clip.

Thanks,
Bill

duncsuss

... I was just wondering if you tell me about your clip.
Thanks!

Like most of the clips I make, this is made from stainless steel - cut out of a sheet and drilled/shaped, then bent before smoothing & polishing. I've made clips from titanium alloy the same way (except you have to heat it or it will snap instead of bend). I've never worked with silver - for advice about that, I recommend asking others.

People I know (and remember) have used it are @jalbert and @mredburn - I'm sure there are plenty others but the names are not popping into my head right now.

Good luck in your pen making adventures :cool:

builtbybill

Thanks!

Like most of the clips I make, this is made from stainless steel - cut out of a sheet and drilled/shaped, then bent before smoothing & polishing. I've made clips from titanium alloy the same way (except you have to heat it or it will snap instead of bend). I've never worked with silver - for advice about that, I recommend asking others.

People I know (and remember) have used it are @jalbert and @mredburn - I'm sure there are plenty others but the names are not popping into my head right now.

Good luck in your pen making adventures :cool:
Thank you for the information, and I cannot wait to get started, just have a few Christmas gifts to get knocked out before I can start.

jrista

I guess I haven't been making pens long enough to make "My" pen... I have a couple I use, but, they are more the castoffs of my work. I have this silver and gold cigar with a sodalite trustone blank that I like a lot. I probably use it more than others, but, the only reason its not for sale is I cracked the blank. Its hard to see, but I just don't want to sell a damaged pen of any degree. So it became mine. A couple others did for similar reasons.

Some day, though, I'll probably make MY pen. I just don't think I know what it needs to look like yet! ;)

Pierre---

I love combination of snakewood and ivory. As elephant ivory is unsalable, I made this pen especially for my use, a maker luxury.
I also wanted to test snakewood: one says it is prone to crack, but I suspect it is only because of metal tubes. This pen has none, the cap is sleeved with acrylic. I am carrying it in my breast pocket every day for one year now, I still can't see any crack.
IMG_5317.JPG

Mike

The snake one probably took the span of a year or so to get done because there were a lot of new techniques I had to try and learn, but I had been kicking around the idea in my head for a while View attachment 363122View attachment 363123
As usual, stunning work, especially the engraving. The snake is cool.

Mike

ZanderPommo

I love combination of snakewood and ivory. As elephant ivory is unsalable, I made this pen especially for my use, a maker luxury.
I also wanted to test snakewood: one says it is prone to crack, but I suspect it is only because of metal tubes. This pen has none, the cap is sleeved with acrylic. I am carrying it in my breast pocket every day for one year now, I still can't see any crack.
View attachment 363429
"Luxury" is a great way to describe this indeed

jttheclockman

View attachment 363429
That is a beauty. I have had some snakewood laying around somewhere here and I really need to turn one and see what all the fuss is about. What is the finish on that pen. It looks satin. thanks.

bugradx2

Holy cow that's gorgeous

Pierre---

The idea is that snakewood being so dense and close-grained, a finish cannot penetrate and will eventufally chip off. A lot of violin bows are made of snakewood, none has any finish on it. And I would not like to put CA on ivory. Just my 2cts.

jttheclockman

The idea is that snakewood being so dense and close-grained, a finish cannot penetrate and will eventufally chip off. A lot of violin bows are made of snakewood, none has any finish on it. And I would not like to put CA on ivory. Just my 2cts.
i would have sprayed a couple coats of satin lacquer on mine. just like to protect the wood some because if it is highly used pen. like I said that is just me. I do have to dig my pieces out and get after it. so many projects. :)

Top Bottom