You should'a seen it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Eberly

First post in "Advanced" but I'm really a newcomer. I've been turning pens since last October.

I finally tried a closed end, using ironwood and chrome sedona hardware. Not too "advanced", I know, but it's at least not a total kit pen.

I used the bushing/mandrel/stepped hole approach for turning and it worked pretty well.

My one innovation was to discover that you can use the HF punches as mandrels for sanding and turning. The body tube of the Baron/Sedona/ Navigator is a reasonably close fit on one of the punches. If you slip a piece of plastic wrap (or a little bag from the pen kit parts) over the punch, you can get a jam fit with the pen body. It holds well enough for sanding and finishing, and the CA is kept off the punch so you don't glue the pen to the punch.

I was very impressed with the finished pen - it's really amazing how much the wood end helps the pen body versus the normal tube end hardware. Too bad I didn't take any pics and I already gave it away....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

I was very impressed with the finished pen - it's really amazing how much the wood end helps the pen body versus the normal tube end hardware. Too bad I didn't take any pics and I already gave it away....

No PIX... it's like the fish that got away!! LOL!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Texatdurango

ANYONE can make a closed end pen... it takes a good pen turner to take a photo of it afterwards!

I agree with the above sentiment... no photo, it didn't happen!

John Eberly

Thanks for your support -

I'll shoot pics next time. I was just lazy - my tripod, lights, etc. are all buried in the junk in my shop. It doesn't seem worth posting a sloppy picture, and I had a deadline to get the pen to the new owner.

Now I can be a legend in my own mind though.....

Top Bottom