You never know what may happen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Well, I've had an interesting, and very expensive, year... Lathe problems at the beginning of the year, ultimately lead to the purchase of a Powermatic 3520C. Between that and rewiring my garage workshop with a bunch of new outlets (250V and 125V) and switches, that was thousands. My roof started leaking, and I ended up getting that replaced. A couple of upgrade options to include hail/impact resistant shingles and better wind resistance cost me several thousand more. During the summer, my deck collapsed due to rot, and I've ended up spending $20,000 on that! Been an expensive year....

A week ago, my car was stolen, maybe a grand or so of property was stolen out of it, and it ended up damaged enough that the insurance company totaled it out. Here is where things became interesting! The car was lost for about a week before the police found it, and I'd heard a lot of rumors about chop shops and people's engines and transmissions and such being removed, so even if the vehicles were found, they were usually a shell. So I started looking for a new car. Found another of the same make and model, an Acura MDX, a few years newer. The dealer had it in the shop to spruce it up before sale so it wasn't available for me to buy until today. In that time the insurance totaled out my car (insurance adjuster came by this morning), for a bit under $200 less than the base cost of the newer MDX! So in the long run, I was basically able to trade up to the newer vehicle without much cost (just fees and taxes, really).

The truly interesting thing, though, is the rep who was working with me on the sale noticed the pen I was using...a nice Ultra Cigar, gold and chrome, with sodalite trustone, and was quite interested in it. I handed it over to her to let her use if for a while, and she started asking how I made it, if I had more, all that. We talked about my turning for a while, and I asked if she wanted to see more. To a definite "Yes!" I had to leave my old Acura in the parking lot to drive the new one home, and had a family member drop me off this evening to pick it up, and I brought a bunch of my pens so she could take a look. The place was pretty much dead at that point, few customers, and most of the sales reps ended up clustering around the desk we were at!

It ended up being a bit of an impromptu pen show. I probably had 8-10 people hovering around the desk, and I was surprised at the amount of interest. I've only been turning pens for a bit over a year at this point, and feel I am nowhere near as skilled as many of you guys on these forums. So I have never been all that confident in my quality, or saleability. The wonderful thing was, as everyone explored the pens I had brought, they all loved the quality, the weight, and the way they wrote. A few people made impromptu buys, and I sold about $375 on the spot, and every single person who came by asked for business cards and showed interest in my (still yet to be opened) Etsy store. A couple mentioned just how much they have to write every single day, and said they would live higher quality pens that wrote as easily as the ones I was demonstrating. A few also mentioned that I'd probably sell out the entire set of pens I was sharing, if I just went up the "auto strip" we have here (Arapahoe Road in Colorado, has this car alley where there are probably half a dozen or so car dealerships). I suspect I probably have another 5-6 future customers just waiting to browse all the pens I have to offer online, maybe a few who had interest in buying a few for friends or family. There are two guys who were extremely interested in a couple of pens, and simply didn't have cash or PayPal (I wasn't even expecting to sell anything, and was glad I had PayPal. When everyone wanted to buy they were asking about Venmo (??) and a few other payment options I've never heard of! So I missed out on a couple customers or so, just because I didn't have a way to accept payment from them. I have a lot of research to do, it seems, when it comes to the ways younger generations pay for things!)

I was amazed! You never know what may happen!

I have never done a show, and with the kind of year I've had, I have had very little turning time since January. I've been wondering if I'd be able to actually get any online store opened to actually sell my pens, and the only pens I have been selling are occasional commissions from friends, or friends of friends (which hasn't been bad, and welcome business to be sure!) After all the hardships of the last 8 months or so, and the stressful car theft issue, today ended up being a rather amazing, and encouraging day! Life was really trying to get me down lately, but in the end, despite the car theft, in the end I would say I've ended up in positive territory, with a new car that seems to be in excellent condition (and some really nice anti-theft and theft-lockdown features!) with a whole slew of new and potential new customers for my pens. It has reinvigorated my will to get some kind of online store up and running as soon as I can here, and I have more hope that when I finally do, it'll be a bigger success than I previously imagined.

Just thought I would share... Sometimes life throws you curve ball after curve ball, and you think they won't stop. Then something happens that reignites the spark of hope.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

Unfortunate to be hit with so many expenditures back to back, but at least now you know your shop and deck will be good for another few dacades.

Always a good feeling to have people clamor over your products. I'm in the same boat about how long I've been doing pens and knowing my quality is less than some of the ones shown here. I made pens for a cigar store's anniversary party and had half a dozen people offering over 100 for a custom pen. It's really quite the compliment.

jrista

Unfortunate to be hit with so many expenditures back to back, but at least now you know your shop and deck will be good for another few dacades.

Always a good feeling to have people clamor over your products. I'm in the same boat about how long I've been doing pens and knowing my quality is less than some of the ones shown here. I made pens for a cigar store's anniversary party and had half a dozen people offering over 100 for a custom pen. It's really quite the compliment.

Yeah, it is so nice when people really like your work! I wish you the best of luck in the future. You know now that your pens really are worth something, if people are bidding on them for over a hundred! ;) I actually think I made a mistake selling a pen and another couple of turned items today. All these guys were sales men, and one of them walked away with a pen, a small platter and a vase (I brought in a couple of the other turnings I make as the sales rep I was working with earlier was interested), and I think I actually lost a bit of money (I forgot how much one of the pieces of wood cost, an in the end I think I either broke even, or lost a bit.) Gotta value your own work!

I am pretty happy about the shop, and the deck. Despite the cost (which, is actually a lot less than it would have been...I ended up deciding to do most of the work myself, so instead of nearly $50,000 to have a contractor do it, its a bit over $20,000. Was tough meeting some of the code reqs (like digging three foot deep holes in hard clay for caissons for the posts!! WOW what a huge amount of work!), but I've been able to do a lot more than the contractor would have done. In the money I've spent, I've been able to integrate a full set of deck lighting which is beautiful, as well as a fully integrated pergola, and I was able to afford the latest and greatest Trex decking that was just released earlier his year (the darn contractor told me to my face they don't mark up materials...now that I've bought it all myself, I found they mark it up a ton! I managed to buy the new Trex Transcend LINEAGE, the top top of the line stuff (like Tier 4), for about a grand more than the contractor was going to charge me for the lower end of "Tier 2" Trex.) The stuff is amazing, looks like real wood, unique color an texturing for every board, its wonderful stuff, with a 25 year warranty and the best mildew and stain resistance of all the available composite or PVC decking on the market right now. Pretty ecstatic about that! Its taking me a lot longer to get it finished, as I also opted to build the deck and stairs with a "picture framed" design, which was a lot more effort (Especially in the framing for the steps), but I'm loving how it looks in the end (you can't see any cut ends of the trex decking, so its a much cleaner look!)

Sorry...been working on the deck for nearly two months now, its been a huge effort, but its been rewarding in the end. Pretty excited about it, though, as it is finally nearing completion here in the next week or so!

SteveJ

Congrats on the recovery from a difficult year. However, you know the old adage, no picture, didn't happen….(I think a picture of the deck would be nice).

jrista

Congrats on the recovery from a difficult year. However, you know the old adage, no picture, didn't happen….(I think a picture of the deck would be nice).

I have some on my phone, I'll see if I can get em transferred somewhere I can share. It is still incomplete, but I can show where I'm at so far. By the end of tomorrow, it should be even more complete, unless it decides to snow!!

Drewby108

Yeah, it is so nice when people really like your work! I wish you the best of luck in the future. You know now that your pens really are worth something, if people are bidding on them for over a hundred! ;) I actually think I made a mistake selling a pen and another couple of turned items today. All these guys were sales men, and one of them walked away with a pen, a small platter and a vase (I brought in a couple of the other turnings I make as the sales rep I was working with earlier was interested), and I think I actually lost a bit of money (I forgot how much one of the pieces of wood cost, an in the end I think I either broke even, or lost a bit.) Gotta value your own work!

I am pretty happy about the shop, and the deck. Despite the cost (which, is actually a lot less than it would have been...I ended up deciding to do most of the work myself, so instead of nearly $50,000 to have a contractor do it, its a bit over $20,000. Was tough meeting some of the code reqs (like digging three foot deep holes in hard clay for caissons for the posts!! WOW what a huge amount of work!), but I've been able to do a lot more than the contractor would have done. In the money I've spent, I've been able to integrate a full set of deck lighting which is beautiful, as well as a fully integrated pergola, and I was able to afford the latest and greatest Trex decking that was just released earlier his year (the darn contractor told me to my face they don't mark up materials...now that I've bought it all myself, I found they mark it up a ton! I managed to buy the new Trex Transcend LINEAGE, the top top of the line stuff (like Tier 4), for about a grand more than the contractor was going to charge me for the lower end of "Tier 2" Trex.) The stuff is amazing, looks like real wood, unique color an texturing for every board, its wonderful stuff, with a 25 year warranty and the best mildew and stain resistance of all the available composite or PVC decking on the market right now. Pretty ecstatic about that! Its taking me a lot longer to get it finished, as I also opted to build the deck and stairs with a "picture framed" design, which was a lot more effort (Especially in the framing for the steps), but I'm loving how it looks in the end (you can't see any cut ends of the trex decking, so its a much cleaner look!)

Sorry...been working on the deck for nearly two months now, its been a huge effort, but its been rewarding in the end. Pretty excited about it, though, as it is finally nearing completion here in the next week or so!
My dad used to be a contractor and regularly does work on the house, lakehouse, shop, siblings' houses. I get it lol. You want to tell people about the effort going into what you are doing. No need to apologize

MPVic

Sorry about your loss! But every cloud has a silver lining & your impromptu "show & tell" is evidence of that. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

leehljp

Member Liaison
GREAT STORY! Thanks for posting!

One small aspect caught my eye - " I have a lot of research to do, it seems, when it comes to the ways younger generations pay for things!)"
I am in ministry and work with a number of churches over 3 counties and with other guys like me across my state and nearby into other states. The younger generation do things quite different and there are newer technologies and newer methods of doing the things. Giving to special ministries is one area that is quite different also. Knowing these is extremely beneficial.

It is like a divide in generations. Not only in sales and giving, but in methodology. If we old turners will take the time to be the "old dog that DOES learn a new trick or two", we can certainly bridge that gap with the newer generations, and make it beneficial for all. Becoming aware of missing sales is the first step.

Last edited:

jrista

Wasn't able to get as far as I had hoped today with the deck. Had some trouble with the second set of stairs that took up most of my time. Hoping tomorrow to get some of the decking on, though, as well as most of the rest of the lighting, and will get some photos.

Woodchipper

" I have a lot of research to do, it seems, when it comes to the ways younger generations pay for things!)"
Credit cards. That is why the credit "eraser" companies make money. I owe it, I pay it.

jrista

Well...just got in from working on the deck. It's totally dark now. I'll get some more photos tomorrow after work. Here are some photos from throughout earlier phases of the project:

Core framing and 10' posts for pergola (quite proud of all this, did it all myself except the posts):
IMG_20220906_191909.jpg

Caissons over three feet deep (was hell, I have the worst grave-clay soil with sandy topsoil...what a nitemare...even with an auger...):
IMG_20220906_192002.jpg

Planed parts of every joist, deck is 100% perfectly level across the entire area (every beam, joist and block was topped with butyl deck flashing tape to prevent rot after this planing job):
IMG_20220906_192034.jpg

Picture framed the deck an the steps, to prevent any composite core ends from being visible anywhere:
IMG_20220927_200925.jpg

Pretty happy with the miters...never done anything like this before (literally my first construction job), but aside from this one particular corner (second picture here), all the miters came out pretty much perfect. They separate with the cold, as they were originally cut on 80 degree or hotter days. But the angles fit nicely. the posts will be wrapped at the decking level there with 1x8 rough sawn cedar boards, with 45 degree miter cuts at the top, to hide all the defects in these picture-framing trex boards right at the posts there. So, it will have a much cleaner, more professional look when its all done.
IMG_20220927_200828 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20220927_200844 - Copy.jpg

Decking is this brand new Transcend LINEAGE line from Trex, released in May this year, in the Biscayne color (which compliments my house).

processed-a63e8d73-2580-497c-a3af-4fabcd4595b4_paM8EEm1.jpeg

I have some deck post and lighting photos as well, I need to find them. The whole deck will have integrated lighting, with wiring underneath, for the steps, fascia (so I can get around the deck easier in the dark), and posts. The pergola once it is finished will also have string lights hung from above. The whole thing is supposed to have a bit of a rustic look, so all the visible hardware and posts are powder coated black. Hoping it all gets done in the next two weeks, and I'll share more photos.

jrista

Almost forgot, before I actually started building, I put together some extensive design plans:

1 - Deck Rebuild - Top Framing.jpg

2 - Deck Rebuild - Top Decking.jpg

3 - Deck Rebuild - Front View.jpg

4 - Deck Rebuild - Side View.jpg

Woodchipper

I looked into building my own deck but a book was full of "caveats" about building codes. Fail and have to tear it down. BTW, that is a nice deck, jrista. Let me mention that Wood magazine had an article, comparing different deck materials. Synthetic decking's big negative was it absorbed heat and was very hot compared to the wood materials. Cost at Lowe's was high compared to wood.

SteveJ

That looks awesome Jon. You've done yourself proud. You can take a piece of scrap and make a pen out of it, although it is just a novelty since they don't make very attractive pens.

jrista

I looked into building my own deck but a book was full of "caveats" about building codes. Fail and have to tear it down. BTW, that is a nice deck, jrista. Let me mention that Wood magazine had an article, comparing different deck materials. Synthetic decking's big negative was it absorbed heat and was very hot compared to the wood materials. Cost at Lowe's was high compared to wood.

The deck has a pergola built into it, which for the time being will be topped by shade covers (specifically designed for use with pergolas) to provide shade. I've actually been using those already, just pulled them across the top and side of my pergola posts, to provide shade while I work (you'll probably see one of them in the next set of photos.)

I'll probably also have some kind of half-height sort of curtain or something at the end, to increase the shade. I actually compared a bunch of decking materials. Composite does get hot, everyone said PVC decking was better. Wood, PVC and composite all seemed to get so hot that I couldn't touch them with my bare hands (or feet!) for very long... I honestly couldn't tell any difference between the composite and PVC decking, of which I compared MANY (across every brand I could find, really....was surprised at just how many brands of decking there are out there!!) Some of the older Trex and TimberTech decking seemed to get even hotter, but this brand new Trex LINEAGE stuff is an updated design, and it seemed to get as hot, but not hotter, than the PVC, which is as far as I've been told the "best" as far as heat goes. With the shade the pergola and shade covers provide, I don't think I'll have many heat issues. Nothing like I used to have with the old wood deck, anyway. Also, this is a brand new type of decking from Trex...was literally released in May 2022 (this year). I actually had trouble finding it at first, and then found the lumber yard I am using that actually was able to get it on short order.

Anyway, I've done wood decks. They are incredibly costly, and a huge amount of yearly effort to keep em looking nice. I had to stain my old deck every single year, and every year by the end of spring the decking had started to gray and needed to be re-stained. I was spending a lot of money every year on this top of the line, super-heavy duty stain designed for decks that spent all their time in the sunlight, that was supposed to have an "8 year" warranty (but, of course, full of loopholes for them to get out of it!!) It never lasted more than one year. My back yard faces directly south, so I get sun all day back there, and it reflects off the house as well, so its kind of like double the heat. I've never been able to walk on the deck bare footed, the wood that used to be there always seemed to absorb a huge amount of heat.

So, I think once this deck is done, with the shade the pergola will provide, it should be far more usable than it ever was before. Which was the ultimate goal. ;)

jrista

That looks awesome Jon. You've done yourself proud. You can take a piece of scrap and make a pen out of it, although it is just a novelty since they don't make very attractive pens.

Thanks. I was actually saving some pieces of wood from the old deck. Some of it was still in decent condition, and I think some of it (i.e. the railing stuff) was cedar rather than yellow pine (or maybe douglass fir...honestly, not even sure the old deck used treated wood.) Anyway, I have some pieced of 4x4 and some of 2x2 wood, so I should be able to make some pens and maybe some twig pots or vases from it. Last remnants of the old deck! Might have to put these items on some kind of patio furniture once its all said and done. ;)

jrista

Work from the last couple days. Ended up screwing up one of the fascia boards, so have to order another, so I just put the deck boards on the deck, but they are not tied in yet. I am mostly trying to figure out just how many boards I really need...I had originally calculated 30 with a 1/4" gap...but it looks like the boards are not actually 5.5" wide, more like 5 5/16" wide, so with a 1/4" gap I'll probably need more boards. I'm going to be experimenting with gap size here, though, and see if I can make do with what I've got (probably not).

IMG_20221010_181325.jpg

IMG_20221010_181425.jpg

IMG_20221010_181435.jpg

IMG_20221010_181447.jpg

IMG_20221010_181507.jpg

IMG_20221010_181517.jpg

Some lighting shots from a prior night:
IMG_20221002_204443.jpg

IMG_20221002_204500.jpg

IMG_20221002_204530.jpg

IMG_20221002_204640.jpg

Top Bottom