Yet, one more PR Question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

toolcrazy

I cast my first 2 blanks (hope to turn one this weekend) and was wondering what I did wrong (if anything). The blank cured just fine and looks great, but the outside is a bit sticky, but it is improving. I used the 3 drops per ounce method, threw it in the pressure pot for a while.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Don't worry about the outside being sticky, its normal (sometimes)[:D] and will turn off. Congrads on your first.

its_virgil

I don't like that sticky surface...gets on my figers and tools. I put the blanks outside the shop door in the sunshine and they dry completely in a few hours. When I was casting in plastic pans only the tops exposed to the air were sicky, but using the rubber molds, all four surfaces seem to be sticky. I suppose its a good tradeoff...I'm likint the rubber molds more each time I use them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />Thanks Guys, I feel better. Can't wait to paint the tubes and get it turned. Will post it soon.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
As others have said, polyester resins do not like to cure in the presence of air. Some companies sell products like the one below which have a wax in them which blooms to the surface and allows the resin underneath to cure. If doing clear casts these can dull the resin so unless it really bothers you, I would recommend not using for pens.

2007817225110_Surface_curing_agent.jpg
<br />

OKLAHOMAN

If you do the air could not escape and therefore more bubbles in the cast. It really is not a problem as they will dry out with-in a day and if you were in a rush do as Ed suggested in the oven @200-250 for a shor time.
Originally posted by dbriski
<br />Could you place a sheet of saran wrap on the exposed face?

toolcrazy

Originally posted by dbriski
<br />Could you place a sheet of saran wrap on the exposed face?

Actually, the 3 sides that where in the silicone mold where the ones that where sticky. The side exposed to the air wasn't. I don't mind the sticky, as long as it isn't something I did wrong and it isn't. They are curing as time goes on. So no problem.

Hopefully I will get one turned this weekend. And it's something I haven't seen here yet. HE HE HE.

stevers

Steve,
Same thing happens to mine also. As the resin cures, it shrinks, which exposes the sides and bottom to air as well. I just set mine outside for a half hour or so and its all good. Even if I don't, I usually trim the blank anyway.
I don't find it to be a big deal. The inside cures fine either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom