Yellow woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Ok,

What woods can you think of that are yellow except yellow heart. I cam accross some really yellow wood that I was told came from Isreal. I would like to find out what it is. I am headed to the exotic hardwood store now to see if they can ID it for me.

Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Yellow wood? The ones I can think of are:

Paela (Chak te Viga)
Osage orange
Black Locust

I know both don't say yellow...beats me [:D][;)]

I have some of this wood on hand ... I would be glad to send you some pen blanks ... or if you want to wait a see something turned from this wood, I will be making a few pens this weekend (vacation begins in only four hours and 52 minutes !!! )

--j

The Yellowwood Tree

Yellowwood State Forest is named for a tree common in the mid-south but rare this far north. The yellowwood tree (Cladrastis kentukea) has bright yellow heartwood that is hard and dense. The tree flowers abundantly but only every three to five years in the spring with loose clusters of pea-like, fragrant white flowers. Seeds are in bean pods similar to its cousin the black locust. The leaves are compound and the bark is similar to the American beech. [:)][:)][:)][:)]

Rifleman1776

Osage Orange is good. I have quite a bit of it. If you'll send me enough postage for a priority flat rate envelop ($4.05), I'll send you some blanks that cut less than perfect, should be enough for 4 or 5 pens. If you want perfect blanks, I'll cut for you. $1.00 each plus priority postage, $10.00 min order plus usps.

chigdon

One thing about Yellowheart is it keeps it's color better than other yellow woods like Mulberry or Osage which turn more tanish brown. Chittam and the sapwood fro Rajador are very yellow but hard to find. Yellowheart is not that exciting but a pretty good choice.

arjudy

I mad a pen of yellowheart and sent it to Lance Armstrong after he won his 6th Tour de France. It turned out to be quite bright. Yellow because the overall leader in the Tour wears a yellow jersey.

Spike

I have some wood that came from a Japanese Mahonia that is BRIGHT NEON YELLOW. It is drying right now and i have only a little bit (it is a shrub, sortof). might be a couple of months before it is dry.
It looks like a holly with giant leaves.

woodwish

Here in the deep south we have Southern Yellow Pine but the only yellow part is the layers of yellow pollen that covers everything in the spring. Then they treat it to be bug and rot resistant, and call it Yellow Wood but it's really a pukey green color.[:p] Obviously yellow wood to contractor is not the same as it is to a woodturner. [8D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />One thing about Yellowheart is it keeps it's color better than other yellow woods like Mulberry or Osage which turn more tanish brown. Chittam and the sapwood fro Rajador are very yellow but hard to find. Yellowheart is not that exciting but a pretty good choice.

I did an experiment with Osage Orange by placing a piece in full sunlight for about 90 days. The color change was negligible. Do a search and you might find my report here.

Ryan

I will see if I can get a picture of it. It is not super dense as it is pretty light. I could not get a positive ID. It has the grain of Mahogany but is yellow.

It is not OO.

Ryan

chigdon

Originally posted by airrat
<br />A picture would probably have gotten you an answer on what type of wood it is you have.

You know you are right! I have spent this whole post thinking the question what about good woods that are yellow.[xx(]

woodbutcher

I have some wood that is a very bright yellow. It came from a citrus tree, either orange or grapefruit. Can't remember. Not much grain definition and fairly bland except for the bright yellow color. When I was hollowing the shavings were hot and smelled a littl like popcorn popping. Wierd huh?
Jim

chigdon

Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />I have some wood that is a very bright yellow. It came from a citrus tree, either orange or grapefruit. Can't remember. Not much grain definition and fairly bland except for the bright yellow color. When I was hollowing the shavings were hot and smelled a littl like popcorn popping. Wierd huh?
Jim

It is grapefruit that has that yellow color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom