Would you use either of these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

I have been experimenting with dyed and stabilized blanks. Shown are my first attempts at double dying and stabilizing. The wood used is hawthorne that had been cut and aging in my yard for maybe 8-10 years. It was punky and took the Cactus Juice up pretty quickly. The secondary color was blue and the cut blanks were soaked W/O vacuum and then heat cured. The primary color, red, was applied under vacuum, left to soak for an appropriate time and then cured at ca. 200 deg. The one on the left was soaked for a shorted time in the blue CJ than the one on the right. Both bubbled profusely in the red CJ under vacuum even after the initial curing. After the atmospheric soak period both we heat cured.

I was, at least initially, disappointed with the results. The right one didn't show much intense color as I hoped it would. While disappointed with the colors I'm not so sure the blanks are unworthy of being used. I would like to know what you all think--toss one or both, use one or both. They will fit LeRoi elegant (Sierra size) hardware. Thanks for looking.

IMG_9733.jpgIMG_9734.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Rarely is anything too bad to use in EVERYONE'S opinion. I have sold dozens of pens I thought were ugly--the buyer clearly disagreed!!
Make a pen, price it--if you make it, they will buy it--Someday!!;);)

AllanS

If _I'd_ made those blanks I'd use 'em. They look good _to me_.

But if you are like me you may have trouble letting something go that's been found to be disappointing , I just can't shake it and I have to keep picking at it until I get it to be... not right... but at least less of a disappointment to me.

penicillin

If you think someone will like the look of the resulting pen, make it and see if someone buys it.

If you are sure that nobody will want to buy it, then assemble the pen and donate it to your public library or the local police or fire department. They always need pens.

Top Bottom