Worth saving?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

A friend of mine contacted me to see if I wanted a lathe that a neighbor of his was throwing out in the trash. It is a mini lathe from Harbor Freight. However, the motor had been removed from it. I have the motor but think the motor may be bad. Runs very slow and get hot right away.. is there any way to save this lathe.
369d87e2d5a75a6e3a8fd38711ef18df.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

If you have a motor laying around or can get one from a friend for a few bucks, it is probably worth the effort. Otherwise, buying a new motor is probably not cost effective for this lathe. Check the price for one of these lathes new before buying a motor.

randyrls

Tom; If you look at the motor plate, you can get a replacement motor. The motor will have a "Frame Number" (size) on it like "Nema 56". I looked at Grizzly. They have a similar lathe Item# H8259 It is a 1/2HP AC Looks like the motor is $90 from grizzly, For $300.00 +$100.00 you get a new one. Their showroom is in Springfield MO. Not sure how far that is from you.

Charlie_W

I noticed from the pic of the lathe that it has no switch either so factor that into your cost to get it up and running.
If you happen to have or find a treadle sewing machine frame, you could most likely make it into a treadle lathe!

1shootist

PSI has a variable speed replacement motor..(and it will bolt right up to this lathe)...for $139.
But of course you have to weigh that if you use a 25% off coupon from harbor freight you can get this lathe nib for roughly $200..but the new one will not be variable speed like a replacement motor would have.
These are decent little lathes...a loose tailstock is the one issue most complained about.
Also the PSI motor comes with a new control box that would replace the one missing on your lathe.

nebens

Use the HF lathe for finishing and polishing, happy with it so far. Would be even better with PSI VS motor.
Ernie.

Top Bottom