Work Sharp WS3000

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Uncle_Lou

After a quick search for anything about this sharpener, it looks like all the posts that reference it are a few years old now and reviews seemed mixed. I wanted to get opinions on the WS3000 sharpener system; both as a whole and as a system to sharpen skews and gouges. I've been sharpening by hand after watching a ton of YT videos, but all I have available is a small belt sander so the results have been fair but inconsistent. I don't have room or budget for a suitable bench grinder and jig set up, the WS3000 seems like it might fit the bill but I wanted to see what others think who have used one.

Thanks much!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

My opinion, if you have room for that you have room for grinder. I do not like grinding or sharpening on a downward motion as opposed to head on. Better control in my opinion.

WriteON

I use mine for a skew. I'm happy with the results however … it produces a sharp edge but it's definitely not text book. It works for me but I'm recommending or flaming it. You would have to experiment to see if it fits.

hokie

When I got my Work Sharp, I used their "edge-vision wheel" to sharpen by lathe tools. I really didn't like the handheld manner in which it worked. My edges were all out of whack. I'm sure with a lot of practice it might improve, but having to buy the abrasives from them for their proprietary wheel just turned me off of that process entirely.
At the time, a tool rest attachment was available that let you use Tormek jig...
1683943538627.png
1683943669358.png

I got one of those and the Tormek gouge jigs and I have never been happier with my sharpening process!
Sadly, I believe the tool bar attachment is discontinued because Tormek sued or threatened to sue. I write all of this to say, if you can find the attachment on the market somewhere, it makes the Work Sharp so much more useful and worth pursuing!

leehljp

Member Liaison
The Work Sharp may not be the best all round for lathe tool sharpening but when that is all you have, - you can make it work, and work well with a little practice. The main thing I see in your post is that you are concerned about sharpening. That is becoming a lost art with carbide inserts doing what they do. I am losing my touch with age and shaking hands but I can still sharpen well enough to shave hair.

I like Hokie's idea with the ability to use Tormek jigs. That attachment looks great.

It is good to read a post on sharpening again.

Uncle_Lou

The Work Sharp may not be the best all round for lathe tool sharpening but when that is all you have, - you can make it work, and work well with a little practice. The main thing I see in your post is that you are concerned about sharpening. That is becoming a lost art with carbide inserts doing what they do. I am losing my touch with age and shaking hands but I can still sharpen well enough to shave hair.

I like Hokie's idea with the ability to use Tormek jigs. That attachment looks great.

It is good to read a post on sharpening again.
I have and have used carbides, and there is no doubt they work well and are convenient. I find though that I prefer to use skews and gouges to turn with, though I will turn to a carbide if it fills a need better. I will admit I need practice with the skews, riding that bevel isn't as easy as it looks! But with the HSS tools I want to keep them not only sharp, but repeatably so. I will have to see if I can find that tool bar attachment. I'm guessing the bar that sits atop the WS3000 from the factory is the wrong dimension to mount a Tormek jig...

greenacres2

@Uncle_Lou if you decide to go the WorkSharp route, i have the tool bar and some of the Tormek jigs. Will need to see what i've got, haven't looked at it in a few years (switched to a combination of Sorby Pro-Edge and grinder with CBN wheels). I like the WorkSharp for chisels and such, but never got a handle on using it for lathe tools.
If shipping didn't get salty, i'd consider selling all my WS stuff, including knife sharpening attachments. I'll try to get a look today to see what all i have, but i'm out all next week if i don't get out there today!!

Since you already have the belt sander, you might look at the Sorby Pro-Edge to see if you can adapt what that system uses--it works great, using a 2" belt. Looking at how that system works might have you rethink having to buy a new tool. My only reason for adding the grinder/CBN/Wolverine set-up was that i turn some at other club members' shops and a few classes--and that is a standard set-up so i can keep consistent grinds on my bowl gouges. Much prefer the Sorby belt for skews, scrapers and spindle roughing gouges though.
earl

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have and have used carbides, and there is no doubt they work well and are convenient. I find though that I prefer to use skews and gouges to turn with, though I will turn to a carbide if it fills a need better. I will admit I need practice with the skews, riding that bevel isn't as easy as it looks! But with the HSS tools I want to keep them not only sharp, but repeatably so. I will have to see if I can find that tool bar attachment. I'm guessing the bar that sits atop the WS3000 from the factory is the wrong dimension to mount a Tormek jig...
Lee Valley, Rockler, and Amazon have hardened plate glass sharpening systems that GREATLY assist in keeping the tools sharp while turning. I regularly stop about every 1 to 2 minutes (sometimes more frequently) and swipe the end of the tool twice over the PSA sandpaper on a plate glass and turn right back to turning. It takes about 10 seconds to swipe the tool over the plate glass and keep the tool exceptionally sharp throughout the turning process.

I have been using this system for about 15 years, and got mine for Lee Valley. I use very low micron numbered PSA sandpaper, down to 1 micron.

Uncle_Lou

@Uncle_Lou if you decide to go the WorkSharp route, i have the tool bar and some of the Tormek jigs. Will need to see what i've got, haven't looked at it in a few years (switched to a combination of Sorby Pro-Edge and grinder with CBN wheels). I like the WorkSharp for chisels and such, but never got a handle on using it for lathe tools.
If shipping didn't get salty, i'd consider selling all my WS stuff, including knife sharpening attachments. I'll try to get a look today to see what all i have, but i'm out all next week if i don't get out there today!!

Since you already have the belt sander, you might look at the Sorby Pro-Edge to see if you can adapt what that system uses--it works great, using a 2" belt. Looking at how that system works might have you rethink having to buy a new tool. My only reason for adding the grinder/CBN/Wolverine set-up was that i turn some at other club members' shops and a few classes--and that is a standard set-up so i can keep consistent grinds on my bowl gouges. Much prefer the Sorby belt for skews, scrapers and spindle roughing gouges though.
earl
I appreciate you checking into what you have, whenever you get to it. I am in no rush, as the space I use to turn in is not my own so I have to work with the owner of the space when considering addition of machines. Been waiting for some solid feedback on the WS3000 before making a joint decision to take the plunge. I'll take a look at the Sorby and see if it is something I can make work with what we have.

Thanks!

Uncle_Lou

Lee Valley, Rockler, and Amazon have hardened plate glass sharpening systems that GREATLY assist in keeping the tools sharp while turning. I regularly stop about every 1 to 2 minutes (sometimes more frequently) and swipe the end of the tool twice over the PSA sandpaper on a plate glass and turn right back to turning. It takes about 10 seconds to swipe the tool over the plate glass and keep the tool exceptionally sharp throughout the turning process.

I have been using this system for about 15 years, and got mine for Lee Valley. I use very low micron numbered PSA sandpaper, down to 1 micron.
I'll take a look at these. How do they work for gouges? Thanks!

Uncle_Lou

Not as well as for skews and scrapers, however, I do use the plate for what I call "rotating" the edge once or twice on the micro SP, when I am using a gouge. It does OK as for me.
The price is certainly attractive, might be a way to just touch up the blades in between proper sharpenings.

Top Bottom