Woodworking project advice please (Bookends)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hooked

hooked

I am hoping to get some advice. I don't consider myself a woodworker, so I am seeking guidance from the pros here to complete a project I have been asked to do. I have been given two antique women's shoe molds and asked to make a set of bookends with them. These are of sentimental importance, so I want to ensure that I do not ruin these molds in the process.

I planned to flatten a bit of the heel to get a flat surface and drill a hole. I would make the base and insert a metal rod to fit into the hole on the heel. Epoxy rod inside the drilled hole. Is there a better way to build these out? My concern is that this method may not yield solid bookends.

Here is an example of bookends that I am looking to emulate (link to product with more pictures):
1695820965042.png

Here are pictures of my molds. I am concerned about the cracking on the heel, which is why I am asking for advice on the best way to attach these to the base piece. Seen in the last picture below.

Thanks!

1695821142440.png

1695821371689.png

1695821838102.png

1695821413333.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Here is a bookholder I made and showed here awhile ago. Mine has dovetails that fit into a slot.. You could mount the shoes on a flat piece and use the method I did. Just one idea.

Attachments

• bookends.jpeg
    bookends.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 55

PreacherJon

I'm thinking the heels are on the wrong side? Maybe? Just thinking if the books went to lean, would they push over the stopper? Or, make sure you really weigh them down. Just thoughts of mine.

jttheclockman

Bookends are usually made a few different ways. But what is important is the way the books get supported. Many times it is alot easier to deal with books that have a hard cover as opposed to soft covers. They can probably stand on their own. But what comes into play when making a bookend is weight. Weight of the bookends themselves as well as the weight of the books that need support. remember book will have a tendency to be leaning against one or both of the bookends so they need to support them.

With this said, lets start with Ken's method. He placed the bookends in a dovetailed routed piece of board. The books leaning against the ends will tilt the end up and thus puts pressure on the male portion of the dovetail joint and locks them in place. The advantage of this is you just slide the ends open or close to the amount of books. The disadvantage is the amount of books is limited to the flat board the ends ride in.

Next would be bookends that are very heavy and you see this with solid brass or other materials that have heft. The advantage with those is number of books is no limit as long as they can be held with the weighted ends. You can easily move the ends in or out to desired length. You would need some sort of protective cover on bottom to not scratch shelf or furniture. Many people put felt strips or pads.

Then there is my method. I have shown old photos of my shop on occasion here and in the background there are a couple shelves on the wall and one has these bookends holding up some woodworking books. Will include photo. The design I made is basically a handsaw cut in 2 and mounted on a couple pieces of oak. But what I did was add a piece of metal that is cut to size and is stiff enough to avoid bending. I screwed it to bottom of boards as you can see. The advantage of this is the weight of the books hold the bookends down and prevent from sliding even when leaning against them. You can open as wide as you want but can only close as much as the 2 metal plates allow. I included some photos. The battery in camera is just about dead so hope photos came out OK.

Now for your mounting question. No reason you can not mount as the example you shown. The way to secure is up to you but if it were me I would just place 2 screws in line in the bottom of the heal. The need for 2 screws is to keep the shoe from spinning on one. Countersink the underside of the board or plate you use. Make it as fancy as you want with a routed edge. But I do not believe they are heavy enough to hold books if using wood boards. Now you could do an epoxy resin casting and fill with buckshot or some other weighted material if you want to go with a stand alone design like you shown. Or as I said if the books you are supporting are hardback they can stand alone and help with the weight situation. That is your call. Or you can add either method that I or Ken have shown. Good luck and post a photo of final pieces. By the way, the crack just put some CA in it.

bookends#3.JPG
bookends#1.JPG
bookends#2.JPG
File0046.jpg

Last edited:

hooked

Thank you for the responses. I was looking at the $795 version that I was shown as a guideline and felt like it was more of a design option rather than being functional. I also wondered if they would actually hold up heavy books. I didn't even think about using a piece of metal out the other end under the books....which is how every bookend in my house works. Thanks for the advice! I will post a picture when done, but it may be a few weeks.

Top Bottom