Woodpeckers Dowel Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Boy do I want one. But $530 is nuts!!! Even when you consider all the features and how thoughtfully designed it is.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Yup, its not cheap. $540 with the cheaper case.
Good tools, made in America, I own several of their tools, including the pen mandrel. I have not been disappointed. They are built to last.

Have you seen the new angled drilling table add on, would love to have that.

rherrell

I have what I think is the best dowel jig on the planet, the Dowelmax from O.M.S. Tool Company in Canada. DOWELMAX

IMG_9164.JPG
IMG_9165.JPG
IMG_9166.JPG

It costs less than half of the Woodpecker and I can't imagine the Woodpecker being THAT much better. IMO this jig is PERFECT!!

If you pay the shipping I'll be happy to send it to you to try for yourself.

I know good machining when I see it and this thing is a work of art.

Look around their website, they have a lot of options for different size dowels.

EricRN

I have what I think is the best dowel jig on the planet, the Dowelmax from O.M.S. Tool Company in Canada. DOWELMAX

View attachment 321112View attachment 321113View attachment 321114

It costs less than half of the Woodpecker and I can't imagine the Woodpecker being THAT much better. IMO this jig is PERFECT!!

If you pay the shipping I'll be happy to send it to you to try for yourself.

I know good machining when I see it and this thing is a work of art.

Look around their website, they have a lot of options for different size dowels.
That thing is impressive. And your recommendation--given the quality of your own tools, Rick--means an awful lot. Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I had bought a cheap dowel jig off Amazon for $30 earlier this year. Design was pretty simple so I figured, "How can they mess this up?" Well, I learned. HUGE waste of money. Despite claims of self centering, it was not. I glued up the boards and ended up with one of them being 3/32 inch higher than the other. I should have measured before I glued it up. (The resulting board was too thick to run through the power planer, so at least I got some "practice" -- and a workout-- flattening a board using my hand plane.)

For some reason, I have a hard time learning my lesson that the most expensive tools in my shop are the ones with the lowest price.

Canadian companies make some well-engineered and high quality tools. Before I started getting deep into this hobby, Canada wouldn't have been my first go-to for precision manufacturing and high-quality stuff. But I have seen some things from Canadian companies that really impress me. The Leigh dovetail jig is another one. And some of the Lee Valley in-house tools have impressed me too.

rherrell

"The pain of using a cheap tool lingers long after the joy of saving money has passed"

This is my mantra, it's also in my signature here at the IAP.
You get what you pay for.

bsshog40

I had just seen an ad on my facebook of the woodpecker dowel jig just last night! Lol I made me a homemade one a couple years ago but not quite as accurate as this one looks. Not in the position to get one right now, but I did save the ad. Lol

Top Bottom