WOODEN HATS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tonyc53

YEP, I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE [:p]

AND JIM, THEY CLAIM TO BE NO MORE THAN 6-9OZ...tops AND VERY COMFORTABLE! BUT, I can't AFFORD any, although from my layman's point of view the WORTH EVERY CENT. I wonder how difficult it would be to make miniatures on a jet mini etc? [:D] [;)]

JimGo

Tony,
Did you check out his "process" pics? It actually doesn't look like it would be TOO hard to make, just time consuming. I agree with Billy, with that kind of workmanship, I'm not surprised about the price.

lkorn

I've had these in my hands and they weigh LESS than my regular felt cowboy hats. The Jet Mini just won't do, He starts with a 150 lb log and turns it down to a hat. Lots of waste, but great outcome.

Originally posted by Tonyc53
<br />YEP, I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE [:p]

AND JIM, THEY CLAIM TO BE NO MORE THAN 6-9OZ...tops AND VERY COMFORTABLE! BUT, I can't AFFORD any, although from my layman's point of view the WORTH EVERY CENT. I wonder how difficult it would be to make miniatures on a jet mini etc? [:D] [;)]

JimGo

Larry, do you recall whether the part that fits over your head is simply circular or whether it is oval, like most hats?

Scott

These are great hats! And although a few people turn hats, Johannes is the big name in turned hats. I have been to a couple of his demonstrations, talked to him, and held one of his hats (he does regularly wear one of his own hats, BTW). They are light weight, and they are shaped to fit the head. The wood is very thin, and with wearing, the moisture and oils soften the wood enough to form to the shape of your head. Don't expect it to move like a felt hat, but there is some give. These turned hats are really cool. I don't want to turn one myself, but they are really cool!

Scott.

Tonyc53

HEY GUYS...BUT A JET MINI SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THESE, EH? [:D]

85493145ugateF_ph.jpg

jrc

I know a guy that took a class from him and has turned a few hats. You can wear them and there light as a feather. He sells them for around $600

J. Fred Muggs

Check out Chris Ramsey from Kentucky. http://www.knot-head.com/index.htm I've seen him demo.
Hats are not all that tough if you have a large enough lathe. Mini hats would be no problem on a mini lathe. Chris's site give complete instructions. He offers classes at his home for around $600 and you come away with at least one full sized hat and the knowledge to do more.
Be sure to check his gallery. He's got some pretty famous people wearing his creations.

chigdon

I have seen these hats in person and they are fantastic! He also makes miniatures as well. I personally would buy one as a work of art and put it on some type of hat stand as they are that nice.

lkorn

Jim, The hats are turn fron green wood and are therfore circular. However, when drying they shrink naturally to an oval shape. He helps the process along with a jig made for the hats that shapes the headband and brim all at the same time. Knowledge of shrink rates, allows him to size and shape the hat for each individual buyer. Really cool!

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Larry, do you recall whether the part that fits over your head is simply circular or whether it is oval, like most hats?

Kurt Aebi

I just saw this post and looked at the web site and just now noticed his location! Manchester Center, Vermont! Heck that's only 30 Miles away! I gotta get over there and see these things for myself, in person!!!!

Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom