Wood Vendors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

Hi guys.

I'm wondering where you get your lumber. I've been buying blank sized pieces from members here mostly. But I want some wider lumber and don't have a local place for exotics.

99546C77-5899-4B47-AD00-141C26D143FC.jpg

I get these emails, but it's hard to trust I'll get a choice piece when buying online. Do any of you order wood through the internet? Who had s good prices? Who do you trust to deliver quality exotic woods?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I'm fortunate that Curtis Lumber/Curious Wood is 'just around the corner' from where I live. They are an old-fashioned lumber yard that is a major supplier to the home construction trade in our area, but they also have an extensive selection of hardwoods. They target the flatwork community, but also have some turning stock. Both domestic and exotic timbers. So I can fondle stuff before I buy. And I always make a point of looking at what's on offer in their 'shorts' bin - I've gotten some interesting exotic turning stock that was too short or too damaged for flatwork that was offered at discounted prices because of the distressed condition.

Occasionally, if I have a particular need, I will drive over to Berkshire Products - in the boonies close to the MA-CT border. It's a couple of hours away, but wife and I turn it into a day trip with shopping and lunch in nearby Great Barrington. They also are a major supplier to custom furniture makers but also have quite a bit of turning stock. Most of their stock in domestic.

hooked

Woodpeckers has sent nice wood in orders I have placed. Lately, I have been buying from woodbarter.com and have had good success.

Other online sources that I like for premium woods but typically come with premium shipping prices:

Cook Woods
Bell Forest Products
Ocooch Hardwoods

RGVPens

I get a lot of my scroll saw stuff from Ocooch Hardwoods or Cherokee Wood. I also got some blanks lately from Cook Woods.

Fred Bruche

sorcerertd

I'm fortunate that West Penn Hardwoods is less than an hour from me. They do ship, and often have free shipping offers. Keep in mind that none of their burls are stabilized.
I have also purchased recently from Griffin Exotic Woods and was happy with the purchase. There is some hard to find stuff there, but it can get pricey.
Also, there are a lot of sellers on Etsy, some of which are members here.

@rherrell, I'm curious if you have you been to The Hardwood Store of North Carolina? It's between Greensboro and Burlington. I've been meaning to check it out one of these days.

rherrell

I'm fortunate that West Penn Hardwoods is less than an hour from me. They do ship, and often have free shipping offers. Keep in mind that none of their burls are stabilized.
I have also purchased recently from Griffin Exotic Woods and was happy with the purchase. There is some hard to find stuff there, but it can get pricey.
Also, there are a lot of sellers on Etsy, some of which are members here.

@rherrell, I'm curious if you have you been to The Hardwood Store of North Carolina? It's between Greensboro and Burlington. I've been meaning to check it out one of these days.
Never been there Todd, I stay away from big cities and interstate highways as much as I can. My supplier is in the boonies and that suits me just fine! :) ;)

GaryMGg

You can search Woodfinder.com for local sources or order online.
You can also search the Materials section of your local Craigslist—bet you find many options.

If you don't need exotics, look at Wall Lumber.
If you have a planer and jointer, look for a sawmill locally.

Top Bottom